LOW water in Hullett

King Joe

Had monday off so took a cruise to see conditions at Hullett. Parked at the top viewing (A side) and walked the dyke trail down towards stand 20. 20 used to be one of my favorite spots (for woodies and mallards) but have not gone there for some time. I was blown away that 20 is basically rushes and green; zero visible water. Even the channel leading to 20 was low and growing in....and from the age of vegetation, has been growing in for a while.

Continued down dyke to view the main lake....and very little open water; almost all was algae covered areas. With binos, I scanned 14-16....not looking good.

Went to the staging area that serves 14-20....the access channel and, yep, basically not enough water to float a yak. THAT, I expect....early season, this channel seldom has enough water but usually gets water later.

Continued to the next parking and access spot. REALLY BAD...virtually an algae pond with small, disconnected open bits of water.

It will likely be great for puddle ducks this year, and low for divers (no open water)...but access by canoe/yak to the water stands will be tough. Its gonna take a flood-level series of rain event to get water. With no water in the Maitland also, can't 'steal' water to flood the marsh.

I'm disappointed now. Add this disappointment to the friggin' month of winds that has kept me from yak attaking Huron, Erie or Ontario....I was looking forward to a few duck yak attacks before deer season. Nope.

King Joe Outa Here!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks