Looking Good - For Eyes - 2018 hatch

This article says yellow perch hatch just average. It's way below that in fact I've never seen it worse in my lifetime. Good thing for walleye numbers or we would be catching nothing but garbage fish. ?

I fished the late 80,s..the fishing was non stop like now but you could not catch a small fish..........fish were all 5lbs and up. 4-5 miles in front of Burwell. I feel for the perch guys.

In around 92,93 three of us fished out of Glascow. We had a 3 man limit in less than an hour, and a 150 qt cooler wasnt big enough. You could NOT find a 3lb fish. 8-10lb fish didnt turn a head. Those 18 fish weighed close to 130 lbs. Fishing twice/week you'd have 60 or 70 lbs of walleye fillets. We ate deep fried walleye, baked walleye, BBq walleye , poached walleye , walleye cakes, walleye strips, walleye salad. I gave it away to friends and family. Got to the point people wouldnt answer their doors when they saw me come home with the boat. I couldnt look at a walleye for 10 years after the 90s. Thank God for smaller fish!!!

In around 92,93 three of us fished out of Glascow. We had a 3 man limit in less than an hour, and a 150 qt cooler wasnt big enough. You could NOT find a 3lb fish. 8-10lb fish didnt turn a head. Those 18 fish weighed close to 130 lbs. Fishing twice/week you'd have 60 or 70 lbs of walleye fillets. We ate deep fried walleye, baked walleye, BBq walleye , poached walleye , walleye cakes, walleye strips, walleye salad. I gave it away to friends and family. Got to the point people wouldnt answer their doors when they saw me come home with the boat. I couldnt look at a walleye for 10 years after the 90s. Thank God for smaller fish!!!
I fished that also.............had a sketchy loran unit to find the port................70' was the magic number for me 3-4 man limit in an hour, all big fish with a few jumbo perch thrown in. Was terrible to get your boat back on the trailer if the lake was just a little rough as the ramp had no cover from the lake. I too love the small walleye we are currently catching, we eat them fresh all season....I am not big on stocking my freezer with fish, much rather fresh, I keep 3-4 feeds for the winter but it does not compare with catch n eat.

If I remember right, even with the great pickerel fishing back then the perch fishing was decent and everyone congregated around the rocks at the end of the lighthouse or the silver barn was a favourite. Never even heard of perch @ Hastings, at least I didn't. The lakes always seem to change with time, just like people LOl.
Moo

Yeah the days of sketchy Loran is right! Glascow ramps were aweful. We came in one sunny Aug day with 4-5' rollers slamming the harbour and there were 100++ boats at the entrance, in the harbour, in the lake all trying to get out on one ramp...we sat 200 yards off the entrance with our feet up enjoying the gong show. It was actually a mess--boats getting washed off the trailer on the ramp, boats crashing into each other in the harbour, a couple of boats tried to beach and swamped...and in the middle a big old tug style charter boat (? Art Grayling) shoved his way into the harbour to tie up to his spot on the wall. There were some honest beat downs that day. I love fishing...

I remember 100 fish nights while getting paid to work on the Mr Neil. Caught one on every lure in my box 1 night. Just dunk your Buzz Bomb in wd40 if you wanted a trout instead of a pickerel. Ruined pick fishing for me! Just started back a couple years ago cause they're so damn yummie. The good old days are starting over and I'm not stuck on that rig anymore.

Remember when the ramp at Burwell was on the same side as the sub? Trucks and trailers would fill that whole area. Boats from the US as well. Witnessed many a fist a cuff there when guys tired of waiting their turn would start cutting in and then the shit started! Spent more then a couple hours on more then one occasion waiting for layers of trailers and trucks to move so you could get the truck out...........was crazy! I love fishing also but I am glad I have a slip now LOL.

I'll stay in the bush where it's quiet. I remember those nights floating at Burwell for hours waiting our turn to get out. Not for me.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks