Off Topic Long point pike fishing inner bay

Redneck 77

Hey I have a son that has not caught a pike before. We are heading down in the morning to long point and was wondering if someone could give me some info on where a to try? Going for smallies luanhing from old cut. Any info would be great thanks, oh and lures that I should try.

Not sure of starting point but talked to a guy that fishes for pike on inner bay he said 5 of diamonds was best lure for pike

Weeds/grasses near old cut

Also saw a couple when I was fishing the weeds near turkey point.

Basically pick a spot and start casting 👍

White spinner baits are relatively weed less. Big Rice Bay always had pike.

I have to agree with @Derkd9, out front of old cut in the weeds. #5 silver mepps has been my best, plus it catches rock bass and the odd smallmouth

Rowan...7 feet of water. Weed edges. Spinnebait, crank, jerk baits , swim jig anything thats looks like a boat fish. Can troll the edges if water is calm as well. Besides that millionaires has lots of pike.

My go to has always been mepps giant killer. Maybe add a white twister tail. Earlier in the season blue/silver cotton cordell was doing quite well But of late I’ve had more luck with white/orange colours My better half seems to have good luck with the #5 blue fox black buck tail. Having said all that. I caught two over the weekend fishing a Carolina rig for bass using the 5” lunkerhunt stick. Squash colour.

I agree with other for locations. weeds off Oldcut or around millionaires you’ll find them

Attachments

• 39546D41-8CAA-424F-BA38-F24D988D8124.png
    39546D41-8CAA-424F-BA38-F24D988D8124.png
    221.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 1EA1E8BC-A681-4556-911C-9E2929BC7A8F.jpeg
    1EA1E8BC-A681-4556-911C-9E2929BC7A8F.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 10
  • C4FBA762-7689-45D6-A423-67D4571A6E70.jpeg
    C4FBA762-7689-45D6-A423-67D4571A6E70.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 10
Hey I have a son that has not caught a pike before. We are heading down in the morning to long point and was wondering if someone could give me some info on where a to try? Going for smallies luanhing from old cut. Any info would be great thanks, oh and lures that I should try.
Best thing to use for pike fishing is a green spinner or meps

try old cut and port rowen and drift

you will definitely catch some

I've always used a white and red spoon with a riveted on single hook tipped with a black or white plastic worm. Mind you that was always up in the North Bay area.

Best thing to use for pike fishing is a green spinner or meps

try old cut and port rowen and drift

you will definitely catch some
I was in Pt Rowan this morning in my kayak, just drifting with a small spinner rig for panfish and I caught a lets say axe handle, a little bigger than a hammer but not quite a 30 incher either. Put up a nice fight though. TC

I was in Pt Rowan this morning in my kayak, just drifting with a small spinner rig for panfish and I caught a lets say axe handle, a little bigger than a hammer but not quite a 30 incher either. Put up a nice fight though. TC
Lol I love that, axe handle. My boy always asks “ is that a hammer handle” and I say no it’s a little bigger. Now I can just say it’s an axe handle!

Even a minnow on a hook will invite them in while you are perch fishing with an ultralight rod 🤦‍♂️
Even a minnow on a hook will invite them in while you are perch fishing with an ultralight rod 🤦‍♂️
I remember that @Extra Virgin while we were perch fishing from your boat off St. Williams last Fall. 😉 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

First time @trky chsr I heard a pike being called a axe handle for its size reference & I “love it!!” I will need to use this term whenever a pike I catch is around the 30 inch length & thanks!! 👊👊😉 🐟 👍🙂

Those mr twister safety pin spinners with a colorado blade are cheep and deadly on all gamefish. I like yellow tails when im pike fishing. Cast drift troll the lure works

Attachments

• 20210701_193858.jpg
    20210701_193858.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 20
It was actually Saturday, Sunday we were out Monday was a little too rough for my tin can of a boat , when going out for pike or large mouth , I stop a couple times and check the bottom I look for when the weeds start to change from full coverage to broken up clumps of weeds , , if that helps

It was actually Saturday, Sunday we were out Monday was a little too rough for my tin can of a boat , when going out for pike or large mouth , I stop a couple times and check the bottom I look for when the weeds start to change from full coverage to broken up clumps of weeds , , if that helps
Yes it does, thanks. TC

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks