Long Point Guides

you realize that by shooting out where the ducks normally would be resting you guys are messing up hunting for lots of other hunters because the birds won't come up into the Bay if they are getting pounded regularly . Surely there are lots of places to hunt around here like Turkey Point and Pottohawk where you don't have to be any distance from shore . Yes you have beaten charges ( I hear you can't count your limit of fish either ) but the key word here is ethical hunting something you guys seem to have little comprehension of . It always seems to be about the $$$$ with Outfitters . Need to produce lots of shooting = more customers = more $$$$!
I've killed many ducks in my life and haven't been limit obsessed for years and years - it"s about the experience and pleasure of hunting not the killing that matters .
You sound like a butt hurt old man that can’t shoot ducks anymore. I’m hunting beside the cover boat out there off big creek same fucking spot why don’t you go cry to Ritchie too about where he hunts? Or you just have a personal problem?? Btw I don’t have to honour your opening day signs on the south side either esp since you put more up than you even hunt.

you realize that by shooting out where the ducks normally would be resting you guys are messing up hunting for lots of other hunters because the birds won't come up into the Bay if they are getting pounded regularly . Surely there are lots of places to hunt around here like Turkey Point and Pottohawk where you don't have to be any distance from shore . Yes you have beaten charges ( I hear you can't count your limit of fish either ) but the key word here is ethical hunting something you guys seem to have little comprehension of . It always seems to be about the $$$$ with Outfitters . Need to produce lots of shooting = more customers = more $$$$!
I've killed many ducks in my life and haven't been limit obsessed for years and years - it"s about the experience and pleasure of hunting not the killing that matters .
The fact that I’m no where near the middle and the birds we shoot are breaking off the raft in the middle and flying to the head of the bay where we kill them makes you look as sound very stupid.

Well... this is quite interesting. While I don't personally use a guide or hunt the area, I can see the need for guides for people that have limited resources or availability to property. What is shocking to me is the lack of professionalism and respect for other hunters that you must coexist with while earning your income. Guiding is a perfectly legal profession and I personally know several that are always willing to work with the local hunters to ensure everyone has a successful day. The insults and language that I have read in this post is quiet surprising as the guiding community is rather small and word travels quickly, much like it is on this forum.
@Juiceboxjeffy I would take a hard look at the way you conduct your business and be respectful of others that hunt the area, you just never know when you may need to call on them for help or information...

Reel Therapy - well said !!!!! As far as my signs go ,I hunted my sign and 3 of my brothers hunted theirs on Opening Day . Good thing all 5 of my brothers weren't hunting that morning , it would have been crowded out there .

While Reel Theapy’s post is eloquently worded and respectable. Let’s not forget who, on a public Internet forum, cast the first stone.
I have no horse in this race at all other than mentioning a possible guide for a fellow member actively looking. It was in no way a reference. Simply a ‘these guys hunt into December’

sonnyuphi,
YOU started this by publicly slandering a person/business. You back a guy into a corner and start throwing stones by doing so, I’m not condoning it, but it should be no surprise if he comes out swinging. From the outside looking in. There seems to be more going on here than most are seeing.

Last edited:
Wow its time too dust of the two man Bankes, and all those armour herter decoys . Use to be hunter21 joined in 2005. Happy to be back . Can I get a seat for this show and popcorn too .

Reel Therapy - well said !!!!! As far as my signs go ,I hunted my sign and 3 of my brothers hunted theirs on Opening Day . Good thing all 5 of my brothers weren't hunting that morning , it would have been crowded out there .
Why dont you pipe down, you had no business calling out these guys in the first place. Find something else to occupy your time, other than bad mouthing younger guys who love shooting the bay.

We are fully booked up year after year, I call things how I see them and I’ve been nothing but honest that’s what keeps guys coming back. We also do this for fun it’s not a full time gig and might not even be something we do for much longer... We were off turkey point today and someone was off big creek and we got stopped by the CO again all was well but he was looking into the guys at big creek we haven’t been there in almost 3 weeks... Same thing I told the CO they are legal there is all kinds of veg way out past the bzone signs.... Happy Hunting and Please don’t call on me tomorrow....

Please excuse my ignorance on this, but what exactly are the regulations regarding open water gunning? Or open water refuge law and how do you determine legal distance and what if any leeway do you have if your rig is beyond that specified distance? Just inquiring for information purpose only.

Thanks in advance.

the northeasterly portion of Lake St. Clair that is bounded by a line extending northwest (approximately 315°) from the south bank of the mouth of the Thames River in the County of Essex in the Province of Ontario to the International Boundary between Canada and the United States and thence northeasterly following the International Boundary line to the intersection with the southwesterly shore of Seaway Island, the portion of Rondeau Bay on Lake Erie in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent in the Province of Ontario, and the portion of Long Point Bay on Lake Erie in Norfolk County in the Province of Ontario that lies westerly of a line extending from the confluence of the waters of Lake Erie with the waters of Cottage Creek across the most westerly extremity of Whitefish Bar Island to the intersection with the southerly shore of Turkey Point, each of those portions being situated beyond 300 m from the shore, from an area of emergent vegetation or from a water line that forms a boundary of private property;

Directly from the federal regulations.

The problem in this discussion is the intent of the wording of emergent vegetation. My read on the intent is that emergent vegetation is a natural rush bed. Read into that something that you would hide a boat in. The wording originally was such but has been changed. The interpretation that any thing sticking out of the water is emergent leaves a lot to interpretation to the CO who is there to write you up. The port Rowan pier is another interesting anomaly in the equation. Gives another 100 Meters or so. But my observation of some groups is that 300 Meters is more like 800 in there mind. I should be able to hit a golf ball to there rig from the end of the pier......not likely in some of the set ups.

the northeasterly portion of Lake St. Clair that is bounded by a line extending northwest (approximately 315°) from the south bank of the mouth of the Thames River in the County of Essex in the Province of Ontario to the International Boundary between Canada and the United States and thence northeasterly following the International Boundary line to the intersection with the southwesterly shore of Seaway Island, the portion of Rondeau Bay on Lake Erie in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent in the Province of Ontario, and the portion of Long Point Bay on Lake Erie in Norfolk County in the Province of Ontario that lies westerly of a line extending from the confluence of the waters of Lake Erie with the waters of Cottage Creek across the most westerly extremity of Whitefish Bar Island to the intersection with the southerly shore of Turkey Point, each of those portions being situated beyond 300 m from the shore, from an area of emergent vegetation or from a water line that forms a boundary of private property;

Directly from the federal regulations.

The problem in this discussion is the intent of the wording of emergent vegetation. My read on the intent is that emergent vegetation is a natural rush bed. Read into that something that you would hide a boat in. The wording originally was such but has been changed. The interpretation that any thing sticking out of the water is emergent leaves a lot to interpretation to the CO who is there to write you up. The port Rowan pier is another interesting anomaly in the equation. Gives another 100 Meters or so. But my observation of some groups is that 300 Meters is more like 800 in there mind. I should be able to hit a golf ball to there rig from the end of the pier......not likely in some of the set ups.

I know the difference between a weed bed and emergent vegetation. Growing vegetation that is emerging from the water which means it’s growing from the bottom lol. There is no height on how high the vegetation must be and it definitely doesnt have to be tall enough to hide a boat in.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks