Local asparagus is up !

Picked my first 3 pounds Sunday and passed on a hundred 1 to 2" sprouts. Private property ditch banks so I'm going to check again on Thursday.
Grilled it on the Bar-by

been waiting for this season to come around again----that stuff they've been passing off in the store as 'gus is garbage

We’re fortunate enough to have our own asparagus patch and I believe we’ve picked about 5lbs so far this week with tons just sprouting.

Rhubarb is doing great too with about 12lbs so far this week from our four plants.

Got out for a walk tonight and bagged 7 1\2 pounds in about a half Hour ditch bank walk

Neighbors and in-laws will be happy tomorrow

After posting last night I found a tick crawling on my neck so beware, especially if you have little kids out and about with you.

Ticks ? I would worry about the Poison Ivy in the road ditches. Must admit the roadside ones are usually really mature and thick , perfect for the BBQ !

Any pics of what it looks like growing? Do you guys walk the bush and keep an eye out for it? Does it grow in the swampy areas or dry land

Pics ? Do you mean Asparagus or Poison Ivy ?
Easy way is to spot them in ditches is once they (Asparagus) are mature is in Summer or Fall , then mark the spot and hit it the next year. Also if you are lucky enough to find a plant that has berries on it you can harvest the whole plant in late Fall. The "berries" are the seed pods, approx. the size of peppercorns . I try to place an oversized garbage bag over the plant and tie it off on the stalk and use branch loppers to cut the stalk, this way you catch more of the mature seed pods. Then at home I spread out a tarp and basically shake the bush to give up the seeds. Find an area at home that you can turn into your own asparagus patch and within a couple of years you should have very young (small) asparagus. Also you could dig up the plant and separate it and then transplant to your patch. It takes time (as in years) to get large spears fit for the BBQ but once in you will have stinky pee for a lifetime ! Btw; When harvesting spears use a sharp knife (like a kitchen paring knife will do) cut the spear just at or below ground level as this will force the root to send up another shoot. I try to only do 3 cuttings per year on edible size plants and leave the young skinny ones to mature because at some point you have to leave them be so they can complete their growth cycle.

Cooking tips;
Never overcook your asparagus ! It will be the last thing I cook before dinner as it takes very little time.
I use the "bend and break " method to prep my spears as it works to get rid of the woody bottom end.
A fry pan with just enough water to cover, bring to hard boil, when a fork will go in you pull them out and serve as the latent heat will keep cooking them but maybe that's me ... I like "al dente" ! Searing them on the BBQ or even in a frypan is excellent too ! It brings out a nutty flavour from them. Btw I don't use oil/butter or anything on the spears just char them plain then maybe the next step .
Try a sprinkle of Kosher salt or chunky sea salt ?
I love a course grated/shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese on it. Not cheap but oh so good !

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks