Leaving Port Dover Marina Yesterday Afternoon

dropshot

Went into Dover for a coffee with couple of buddies. Threw my camera in the car. Figured the lake would be churned up. Captured this guy leaving Port Dover Marina. Sure hope he didn't have far to go!

DSC_7205 (2).JPG

DSC_7210 (4).JPG

Not my idea of a good time!

Lake Erie can get pretty nasty and the seas in around Port Dover are some of the hardest to read.

That picture describes the exact reason why I no longer boat out of Dover. Alway's choppy/rough with the shoreline effect....outside of a north wind of course. Good pictures, but those waves are child's play compared to what Lake Erie can produce.

You know, you can't fix stupid. If it's that bad in Port Dover, I'm sure it was twice as bad on the west side of the point. Best thing would have been to leave it tied to the slip for another day. It's not worth risking life and limb!!

That picture describes the exact reason why I no longer boat out of Dover. Alway's choppy/rough with the shoreline effect....outside of a north wind of course. Good pictures, but those waves are child's play compared to what Lake Erie can produce.
As I watched his departure I was surprised at the rapid succession of the waves.
One right after the next. ("shoreline effect") A rig like that probably weighs five or six thousand pounds. Maybe more. As you can see in the first pic it was being easily tossed about.
The dry weight of my rig is roughly one thousand lbs. It would be tossed about like popping corn in a corn popper.
As stated: "child's play compared to what Lake Erie can produce."
Nonetheless treacherous for smaller craft caught off guard a couple of miles from port.
Eyes to the skies and ears to the weather reports before venturing out.

Geez he only went over to the marina for a pump out and back to his dock up river to get pulled for the winter. Not like he was setting out "for a three hour cruise"
Apologies to your friend for the misconceptions.
Had no idea it was just a short hop.
When I left Dover I headed toward Jarvis to return a pole saw rented from Capitol rentals.
Didn't track his route.
Thank him too, for providing such a vivid example of the "nasty seas around Port Dover".
Rick.

Glad its all good! Short hop or not, bet his heart got a workout. On the bright side, I would have chosen a more conventional method of washing my boat.

Big heavy boat, very competent captain, 500 yards to river, and HE'S a stupid nut???

There is no frost in the forecast, but I don't know what his schedule is. I would have chosen a different day to have the shitter pumped out. It would have sucked if he ran into engine trouble! Glad he made it in one piece.

Big heavy boat, very competent captain, 500 yards to river, and HE'S a stupid nut???

Not sure sure what part of MISCONCEPTIONS you don't understand.
From my vantage point he appeared to be headed for open water.
Others viewing my photos thought the same.

I've asked SOUTHWIND to pass on OUR apologies as I feel I misled the parade.

Good to hear he's a competent Captain and not a STUPID NUT!
Glad all's good.
Rick.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks