Leadcore, Bottom bounce, deep divers, or dipsey/jet?

snaapz

This is my 2nd year on the big lakes, I'm from Sudbury and its a bit of a shock how much I have to learn on the big lakes.

Last year was my first year on Erie; I learned a lot about perch and walleye.

Specifically for walleye...
  1. I tried dipseys last year but I am not a fan of the drag they add when reeling in Walleye, I like feeling the fish/fight as I reel them in
  2. I also ran deep diving rapalas and bandits (30' max depth) with success last year and I liked that
  3. Many people are fans of harnesses, can you bottom bounce for walleye or is that too close to the bottom?
    1. Can you use spoons with a bottom bouncer?
  4. I've not tried leadcore yet, I don't want to overwhelm myself with leadcore, bottom bouncers, dipseys....

I just want a simple setup that will produce.

Are there programs/methods that work and do not work? What's you more-often-than-not method for getting your lure to the desired depth; or is it truly dependent on what the walleye are doing? suspended at 20' in 40 FOW calls for a dipsey, and sitting on the bottom calls for bottom bouncer?

Up north I'd drop a leech or troll a rapala and call it a day.

PS. I havent even attempted jigging for walleye yet; not confident that I can locate them that accurately. Where theres bait theres walleye?

Sorry for the rookie post and thanks in advance!

If you're looking to feel the fish fight, downriggers are your best bet. Other opinions may differ, but to me a walleye a mile back on the end of leadcore just feels like you're pulling in a log, then the log gets slightly easier to pull when you see the head hit the surface of the water (half a mile back).

Give snap weights a try. Snap a 1oz or 2oz lead weight to your line, 50' back from your lure, let out another 50' and start trolling, the more line you let out, the deeper you go. Reel up the line, unsnap the weight and continue fighting the fish. Lots of charts and info online.

Give snap weights a try. Snap a 1oz or 2oz lead weight to your line, 50' back from your lure, let out another 50' and start trolling, the more line you let out, the deeper you go. Reel up the line, unsnap the weight and continue fighting the fish. Lots of charts and info online.

That sounded the easiest to me, they were out of stock at Angling Sports London month or so ago... I'll have to swing by again and grab some.

Sorry for the rookie post and thanks in advance!

Even though you do own a boat Snaapz, if another member with more experience offers to take you out, or you can afford a charter, jump on those opportunities. You can learn a lot in a relatively short time frame.

Sometimes people forget they were once "the rookie," so ask away. The only "stupid" questions are the ones that aren't asked. Not everyone has years of experience and by no means is everyone an "expert." No matter how experienced you are, you should be learning something every time you go out.

Even though I don't own a boat yet, (I know I keep saying that, but one of these days, that'll change) I have learned a lot over the past couple of years going out with Tailfeathers, and Misty River before that. What I've learned will be put to good use when that day comes when I do own my own boat.

Down riggers or deep divers if the fight is what your after. Leadcore and dipseys will put fish in the boat. GPS big as well catch a fish mark it go back over that spot a few times . These fish school and move you can't fish structure when there is none.

@Trevor M Thank you for that reassurance. I'm here for the long run and hope to bump into some of you on the lake and on the docks.

My wife works evenings and once I get my kids to bed I spend lots of time watching videos on youtube, listening to podcasts, reading articles. But nothing beats a guide.

However, I'm starting to think that a lot of this is personal preference, all the boys out of Ohio are saying "use anything (spoon, harness, hardbody) it doesn't matter, the walleye will eat anything right now"

But then the tournament pros tell you to work the couture, find the thermocline, get a strikeking, only use this colour in these weather conditions, know where the moon is, rattle some chicken bones and pray to the gods....

When I called Angling Sports London to see if they had snap weights in stock he asked me some questions then seemed confused as to why I would want to use snap weights when I have dipseys and Okuma gear. He lost the sale today and I'll stick to dipseys, but thats why I only shop at their store.

@Trevor M Thank you for that reassurance. I'm here for the long run and hope to bump into some of you on the lake and on the docks.

No problem. IF ya wanna meet me, I'll be at Walmart at Argyle in the next half hour or so LOL. I know from previous posts you live relatively close by. Just look for the fat guy wearing a black hat with his left elbow wrapped with a tensor bandage. That'll be me. LOL.

I also avoid leadcore because of the lack of anything reeling a fish in with it. I still use downriggers most of the time, but also use inline weights...specifically Lead Zepplins...with spoons, body baits, etc and inline planers. I also used a lot of Lake Erie crawler harnesses I made up and have done very well with them...again with inline weights off inline boards. Lots of options and with the sheer #s of fish in the lake...just about anything will work

No problem. IF ya wanna meet me, I'll be at Walmart at Argyle in the next half hour or so LOL. I know from previous posts you live relatively close by. Just look for the fat guy wearing a black hat with his left elbow wrapped with a tensor bandage. That'll be me. LOL.

Wow that’s funny, after my kids eat I have to go to Walmart get some soil for the garden. I’ll look for ya

Reading these posts makes me like this site even more. I am also very new to fishing Lake Erie . I have learned a lot reading the fishing reports here. For my input, I do not know if you can still purchase "pink ladies" but they do work well, much simallar to a dipsy, but a lot lighter.

Give tadpoles a try.(made by Off Shore Tackle) Behind them you can troll spoons or body baits, With the magnum tadpole you can get down 40-45 feet. Very easy to use and they have zero resistance when fighting fish.

Trevor m what that honeydo list get to you lol?

The most recent "honey do" list is done. Finished it earlier today. Dunno what, if anything we're doing tomorrow, but I'm goin fishin Sunday.

Wow that’s funny, after my kids eat I have to go to Walmart get some soil for the garden. I’ll look for ya

And you found me in the one aisle I probably shouldn't have been in, at least not looking at what I was looking at :LOL:. The pop on the other side of that aisle, that's ok. What I was looking at, maybe not so much. It was nice to meet you. :D

Reading these posts makes me like this site even more. I am also very new to fishing Lake Erie . I have learned a lot reading the fishing reports here. For my input, I do not know if you can still purchase "pink ladies" but they do work well, much simallar to a dipsy, but a lot lighter.

This is a great site for learning. Everyone (for the most part) is willing to share knowledge.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks