Leadcore, Bottom bounce, deep divers, or dipsey/jet?

Just my 2 cents. My time in fishing Erie has brought me to using these 2 methods. 1) Dipsy's w/cheater rig with a crank/spoon and a Tadpole attached to a spinner rig. 80% of the time I opt for the Dispsy method. If you're getting a good amount of drag when you're reeling walleye using Dipsy's your Dipsy release pin may not be releasing and causing you to fight the weight of the fish plus the diving Dipsy. They work great for me and don't experience a whole lot of drag with them. You can use the spinner rigs with any sort of weight to get them to the bottom such as a Bottom Bouncer. Every .5-1 second you should feel a "ting" in your rod from the Bouncer "walking" on bottom. Early year (Apr-early June) 1.6-1.8mph and summer time (Mid-june-August) .8-1.5mph. Try to stage your bait whether its spinner rigs/spoons/cranks. Put one so its walking on bottom then stage every 5-10ft of depth from there until you find them. Best Colours for me; Blue's, Pink's, and Copper baits.

This is my 2nd year on the big lakes, I'm from Sudbury and its a bit of a shock how much I have to learn on the big lakes.

Last year was my first year on Erie; I learned a lot about perch and walleye.

Specifically for walleye...
  1. I tried dipseys last year but I am not a fan of the drag they add when reeling in Walleye, I like feeling the fish/fight as I reel them in
  2. I also ran deep diving rapalas and bandits (30' max depth) with success last year and I liked that
  3. Many people are fans of harnesses, can you bottom bounce for walleye or is that too close to the bottom?
    1. Can you use spoons with a bottom bouncer?
  4. I've not tried leadcore yet, I don't want to overwhelm myself with leadcore, bottom bouncers, dipseys....

I just want a simple setup that will produce.

Are there programs/methods that work and do not work? What's you more-often-than-not method for getting your lure to the desired depth; or is it truly dependent on what the walleye are doing? suspended at 20' in 40 FOW calls for a dipsey, and sitting on the bottom calls for bottom bouncer?

Up north I'd drop a leech or troll a rapala and call it a day.

PS. I havent even attempted jigging for walleye yet; not confident that I can locate them that accurately. Where theres bait theres walleye?

Sorry for the rookie post and thanks in advance!
I like inline keel weights, see attached. Attach them to end of line then add your harness, 5 feet leader on your harness. You can find depth charts online.

Attachments

• 0FACC1BF-5932-4A64-8F82-BB121673379E.jpeg
    0FACC1BF-5932-4A64-8F82-BB121673379E.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 26
@Trevor M Thank you for that reassurance. I'm here for the long run and hope to bump into some of you on the lake and on the docks.

My wife works evenings and once I get my kids to bed I spend lots of time watching videos on youtube, listening to podcasts, reading articles. But nothing beats a guide.

However, I'm starting to think that a lot of this is personal preference, all the boys out of Ohio are saying "use anything (spoon, harness, hardbody) it doesn't matter, the walleye will eat anything right now"

But then the tournament pros tell you to work the couture, find the thermocline, get a strikeking, only use this colour in these weather conditions, know where the moon is, rattle some chicken bones and pray to the gods....

When I called Angling Sports London to see if they had snap weights in stock he asked me some questions then seemed confused as to why I would want to use snap weights when I have dipseys and Okuma gear. He lost the sale today and I'll stick to dipseys, but thats why I only shop at their store.
Come to Woodstock and go to anglers outfitters they are amazing and friendly will help you out.

Last year was the first year I got into trolling. I got Tailfeathers charters for a evening and soaked in all his knowledge. Next day I got 2 line counter poles #0 dypsys and was easily getting a limit a hour. If your new to it I strongly suggest go with a charter. They aren't cheap but in long run you will save time and money

@Trevor M

But then the tournament pros tell you to work the couture, find the thermocline, get a strikeking, only use this colour in these weather conditions, know where the moon is, rattle some chicken bones and pray to the gods....

When I called Angling Sports London to see if they had snap weights in stock he asked me some questions then seemed confused as to why I would want to use snap weights when I have dipseys and Okuma gear. He lost the sale today and I'll stick to dipseys, but thats why I only shop at their store.

The pros will say anything to sell their sponsors products ;) Take all that stuff with a grain of salt....I rarely bother with those guys at angling sports. The staff isnt the most knowledgeable for the most part and their service leaves something to be desired. Steve @ Lambeth rod and tackle is my preferred local shop and he's quite knowledgeable when it comes to trolling. It's worth the drive to Lambeth for me :)

There's plenty of fish in Erie for any method you choose, some may put more fish in the boat but all will work. Long leads and snap weights on braid will definitely make for better fight. Downriggers will work too, get some chamberlain releases and learn how to use them....vertical jigging or bottom bouncers can work but covering water is generally preferred and the most active fish are often suspended chasing bait. As mentioned, mark a spot when you hit a fish or two and run back through it a couple times. And stay shallow!! Although there may be fish out in 60-70' where we used to fish alot in the 80's-90's the lake has changed and there's more fish in 30-40' than some people realize.

Good luck!

Josh

Try wackm tackle double downs. 2,3,4oz. You can cover a wide range of depths. Plus the weight has a hook on it. You can get them on their site

Good luck tom trevor m i.m goin out also hopefully wind settles down overnite

Good luck tom trevor m i.m goin out also hopefully wind settles down overnite

Thanks. Hopefully Snaapz and I will put some fish in his boat tomorrow. If we don't he may not invite me again :cry::ROFLMAO:

There isn't even a hint of wind here at my place in London right now. Can't say it was like that an hour ago tho. The winds are supposed to be light out of the WNW to NW tomorrow so it should be a good day. Again tho, it's still early and as I said on another thread, a bad day of fishin is still better than well, pretty much anything else.

For the last couple years all I have been pulling is crankbaits behind inline boards. I am generally fishing the top 25' and can get crankbaits down there no problem without weights, tadpoles, dipsy s or downriggers(I have all of them).. if they are 30 and deeper i start adding inline weights. Only time I use spoons is if I'm targeting rainbows, and haven't had a worm in my boat in years. If all your after is walleye get some deep husky jerk 12s, rapala taildancers 11s and some reef runner 800s,, then get the precision trolling guides for those baits.

For the last couple years all I have been pulling is crankbaits behind inline boards. I am generally fishing the top 25' and can get crankbaits down there no problem without weights, tadpoles, dipsy s or downriggers(I have all of them).. if they are 30 and deeper i start adding inline weights. Only time I use spoons is if I'm targeting rainbows, and haven't had a worm in my boat in years. If all your after is walleye get some deep husky jerk 12s, rapala taildancers 11s and some reef runner 800s,, then get the precision trolling guides for those baits.

I’m leaning towards this! I have some Bandits, Rapalas, Perfect 10s, Reef Runners... they did well for me last year and put walleye in the boat. I’m thinking for the next few trips out I’ll run a diver off one side and dipsy with worm harness off the other side....

colours.. if I'm fishing by myself the first 2 that always go out are a clown, and a fire tiger. Then blue/silver and a custom that catches my eye.

Today's hot one for me was a clown deep husky jerk,, some kid at the ramp in glascow got that lure from me today.. told him next time he goes out try this lure, and then I tossed it in his boat as I was pulling past them to Load.

Reef runners I like anything with chrome on it,, major thing is these lures must be tuned right from the get go.

Taildancers. I have a few I bought ebay United Kingdom,, they have colours we can't get here.

I think the most important thing is gettting to the right depth,, feeding walleye almost always feed up in Erie, so I always want to run my lure 1-3' above them. To do this I use the precision trolling guide book, and calibrate my line counters every year,, sometimes I respool 2-3 times a year if I'm getting snagged up and I lose too much line, and the reels aren't calibrated close anymore. It sounds kind of anal,, but since I started doing this my hookup rate has gone up considerably.

Early in year 1.9-2.2 summer 2.2-2.7(fishing structure 2.2-2.4 working over particular spots, open water trolling 2.4- 2.7 covering water) it is essential to tune reef runners to troll correctly

You can use spoons on bottom bouncers but I'd 100% avoid doing this. Reason being, if you slow down or stop for whatever reason, the spoon can tangle up on bottom. Not so much an issue on Erie due to the sandy bottom, but everywhere else, you're asking for a snag. I use a floating harness.

Edit: a lure on bottom will pick up junk and clams, too.

Dipsies are fine but 90% of the time they're not at the depth you think they are. You say they're fighting you when you reel in a fish, this shouldn't be the case. I bet you're letting out the dipsy fast, right?

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks