Lead Core backing... what do you use and why?

rastam4n

Site Sponsor
R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I have several lead core reels I use for inline planner boards, they have been spooled with a high viz mono backer which stretches like an elastic, it's almost impossible to feel a fish on. I want to switch to something with much less to 0 stretch. What do you guys use as backer for leadcore, or wire, copper etc?

I use regular mono , but my lead core is 10 color and I only use in line board when on lake Ontario and let all of it out , no problem there feeling the salmon 9n the end of the line
Otherwise I just run it behind the boat on Erie and let out as much as I think I need to get the depth I'm targeting, maybe run braid?

Little bit of mono to back my 50lb braid which is backing the leadcore.

mono backing the Braid so it doesn’t slip.
braid backing the leadcore because it’s nice and strong gives me confidence it won’t break or stretch.

I have 3 core setups. 3 , 7, 10. Three has 40lb mono, because will use it as an swr and braid doesn't allow this on lake O. 7 has braid, but it is frustrating running off the in line boards as it will slip. I need to make sure I set up up right. Always good for a chicken comment first time out ( clucking cluck cluck) 10 has 40lb mono as it doesn't slip and i don't run extra line so I don't have to worry about stretch. I'm thinking of doing a 1 colour this year. It'll be 40lb mono for the same reasons

I run 40 lb braid as my backer. It’s thick enough to hold in my clips on the planer boards and never slip out (on big boards. I think little boards are different). Zero stretch makes them pull out of the clips easy whether it’s from the fish or you manually pulling it out. Try to do that with mono and you will wish you used braid. Just make sure you tape you knot to the reel when spooling do there is no slip. Braid also takes up less room on a reel.

Lake Erie rods, 30lb power pro. I use 30 series reels for my 5&7 core setups so I try to keep it lighter/thinner diameter. That said they’ve beat quite a few Lake Ontario kings. My 10 colour is backed with 50lb PP. I’ve hardly ever needed the 10
Core on Erie but it’s generally out for every lake O trip.

1-4 color has 20lb mono as backer... 5-10 color, copper and steel have 30lb braid...

It floors me how heavy of line others use... If it slips in your board clips... Either get better clips or wrap it on your clips...

My rods do dual purpose for lake Ontario and Erie... Every rod has 1400'+ on it and none have heavier anything then 30lb...

A few wraps of mono then 40lb/50lb braid to get the diameter up. That way you use a little less to fill the spool. No issue with it slipping on inline board clips. I'd be worried about 3 or 4 year old mono under the leadcore. I have 1 reel that started as 9 colours that's now a 5 colour and has 4 years on the leadcore. Hope to get another season out of it. I tend to start with 100 feet of 20ld floro as a leader so get a little stetch there. I retie fairly often so leader gets shorter . When down to 30 feet I put on a new leader. I don't want the knot in the guides when fish are at the boat.

I have 3 core setups. 3 , 7, 10. Three has 40lb mono, because will use it as an swr and braid doesn't allow this on lake O. 7 has braid, but it is frustrating running off the in line boards as it will slip. I need to make sure I set up up right. Always good for a chicken comment first time out ( clucking cluck cluck) 10 has 40lb mono as it doesn't slip and i don't run extra line so I don't have to worry about stretch. I'm thinking of doing a 1 colour this year. It'll be 40lb mono for the same reasons
You may want to look at the Sams Pro release for the front clip on inline boards. Designed for braid I run them on all of my inline boards

I use 40-50 lb hi vis braid, has the diameter of 10-12 lb mono for easy handling and lasts forever. Don't see any advantage of going lighter for backing unless you need the line capacity. If you desire a more 'finesse' or 'sporting' approach, that can be done at the business end (leader). Never want my backing to be the weakest link.

I use 40-50 lb hi vis braid, has the diameter of 10-12 lb mono for easy handling and lasts forever. Don't see any advantage of going lighter for backing unless you need the line capacity. If you desire a more 'finesse' or 'sporting' approach, that can be done at the business end (leader). Never want my backing to be the weakest link.
Line capacity is important forsure... Wire divers are 30lb test i don't see any need to go any heavier than that... Reels do have drags... :)

Yeah for sure I’m not putting that 40+ lbs pull strength to the test; I doubt my reel drags would muster even 30 lbs pressure if fully locked down. However, 30 lb test is not exactly ‘finesse’ either lol, so maybe we’re splitting hairs.

My theory is that with backing strength > mainline strength > leader strength (minus any “tooth-proofing” leaders), I minimize the potential gear lost if I ever do break off because it’ll be the leader that breaks. And with a little ‘reserve’ strength I worry less about deterioration over time, since my backing is rarely replaced.

That being said, I’ve seen your posts from past couple years @jammer so certainly can’t argue with your success. ;)

Yeah for sure I’m not putting that 40+ lbs pull strength to the test; I doubt my reel drags would muster even 30 lbs pressure if fully locked down. However, 30 lb test is not exactly ‘finesse’ either lol, so maybe we’re splitting hairs.

My theory is that with backing strength > mainline strength > leader strength (minus any “tooth-proofing” leaders), I minimize the potential gear lost if I ever do break off because it’ll be the leader that breaks. And with a little ‘reserve’ strength I worry less about deterioration over time, since my backing is rarely replaced.

That being said, I’ve seen your posts from past couple years @jammer so certainly can’t argue with your success. ;)
The only finesse fishing i do is winter steelhead and that's still with 8lb test... lol...

I've spent most of my life on the water and it really is the small details that put fish in the boat... Will the difference between 30-40lb backing make a huge difference?? Not likely but 30-50lb will just in depths achieved alone... I like lots of line on my reels... I've had salmon take me to almost a 1000' a few times... ;)

I've said it a million times... Use what you have the most confidence in... That works best... I love to talk fishing and learn every single time i do or that i'm on the water...

The only angler your in competition with is yourself... ;) What works for me might not work for you... ;)

Sure, the diameter will make a bit of difference to your depth when you let out a lot of backing after the leadcore, but on any given day that difference is as likely to help as it is to hurt, right? Always a game of figuring out what’s working, sometimes shallower and sometimes deeper (same reason we don’t always run 10+ colours). No question that the small details often make the difference, just wish I could predict what those details need to be :D

Sure, the diameter will make a bit of difference to your depth when you let out a lot of backing after the leadcore, but on any given day that difference is as likely to help as it is to hurt, right? Always a game of figuring out what’s working, sometimes shallower and sometimes deeper (same reason we don’t always run 10+ colours). No question that the small details often make the difference, just wish I could predict what those details need to be :D
Replication is the art of successful trolling... Put as much as you can in your favor... ;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks