Fishing Report Lake Simcoe Perch & Thames River Walleyes

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Co-worker of mine just had a good weekend of travelling and scored on some nice fish. Needless to say he had to insult me with his catch:censored:

This is his Sunday's catch from Lake Simcoe

IMG_0199.jpeg

IMG_0195.jpeg

Yesterdays Thames River catch :censored:

IMG_0201.jpeg

With me being on holidays this week, I'm allowed to go fishing:D My trophy wife has given me only one option, I'm not allowed to fish on any big lake by myself:arghh:. Now that just cancels out any perch to be caught:rolleyes: There isn't much perch in the freezer like all the walleye and pike in it. So to save the argument and kissing @#$ that only leaves option 2 to fish the Thames River for some walleye.
Going leave home around lunch time tomorrow for the late afternoon/evening bite.

With me being on holidays this week, I'm allowed to go fishing:D My trophy wife has given me only one option, I'm not allowed to fish on any big lake by myself:arghh:. Now that just cancels out any perch to be caught:rolleyes: There isn't much perch in the freezer like all the walleye and pike in it. So to save the argument and kissing @#$ that only leaves option 2 to fish the Thames River for some walleye.
Going leave home around lunch time tomorrow for the late afternoon/evening bite.
Wear your woolies @Three Bouys and good luck!

@Red Hering I'll be fishing up river quite a ways
I can’t wait to read your report @Three Bouys from your day of Walleye Fishing.I am also reading some Good Reports from other Fishing websites that I follow about the Thames River Walleye Ice Fishing.I might have to check this Walleye Ice Fishing out myself,instead of waiting for the Walleye’s to show up in the Delaware & the Komoka area where I normally catch them off the River shoreline in late February and March.I used to fish West of the Chatham area year’s ago,when we had good solid ice on the Thames River.It’s good to see that the Walleye Ice Fishing is back on the Thames River for now.Good Luck @Three Bouys.Tight Lines,and Be Safe!! ????

Nice fishin pics @Three Bouys I am curious about your new fish finder transducer set-up ...sonar helps fishin pics on the river...
ya good luck fishin..

Hey @Red Hering happy to read your heading down fishin, the thames is a great bet to get out of these brutal wind chills compared to out fishin on the bay.. and the bay I mean is mitchells bay.. and for perch this week. Here is what I will be doing when I get back home as far as walleye fishin and including fishin LSC....

Heres some advice for all
Head down to the Praires Siding (bridge) and work your way down river, there fishin right there at the church, that is called the silver bass hole, the pig barn, I forget how to get there?, also the Y. and there are several other popular spots...you can drive along the river & look & find where the guys are fishin..its not hard...or find & fish your own spots like we use to do...

I haven't been down fishin thames river ice catchin walleyes for a long time. Ya the reports have been good with lots of fish up & in the river...and there right on bottom. The water is dirty, so keep your ice rapalas jiggin close to bottom. sizes 5 to 9 any colour...I personally have caught lots (limits) in the past on the #5 chart./silver rapala, change the bottom treble to a larger size.. So get down there ..find a spot and jig up some pics...they are fun to catch...

Last edited:
yes ive fished many years down there as well..also can use twister tails tipped with a minnow.keep on bottom and jig up slow and back down to bottom..febuary the pics show up big time getting ready to run up river..its a cheaper way to fish,then renting a hut etc etc..and you can move around and find the bite.

absolutely @dave w on all your quotes....yes alot easier access fishin the river & cheaper...not runnin your bike or sled..

what cost is just gettin there drivin down the 401 hwy ...but drivin time is fast goin west bound...

yes we tip the bottom treble on the rapalas with minnows too,

ya the only speed bump I see right now is gettin minnows...I am driving from st.thomas headin west and i do not want to go all the way to bass haven in mitchells bay that does open at 6 am to get minnows and then back track to the river...best quality source I know for now..

Fished last evening. A few fish around but slow....and the wind was brutal. I was in my clam in a Mustang suit and it got cold enough I left before dark. I can't imagine what the lake was like.
When the bite is on, you don't need minnows. If you have some extra, salt them. They work good.

Guys,

Other than Bass Haven where can you get minnows in the Chatham/wallaceburg area?

absolutely @dave w on all your quotes....yes alot easier access fishin the river & cheaper...not runnin your bike or sled..

what cost is just gettin there drivin down the 401 hwy ...but drivin time is fast goin west bound...

ya the only speed bump I see right now is gettin minnows...I am driving from st.thomas headin west and i do not want to go all the way to bass haven in mitchells bay that does open at 6 am to get minnows and then back track to the river...best quality source I know for now..
I wonder if Angling Sports(London),or Jacks Live Bait in Delaware,have minnows to buy and use,for the Thames River Walleye’s?

yes @Red Hering we need a bait shop thats close...and with nice size shiner minnows...

just a word of caution when buying your minnows...check the bait in the tank before you get your count...winter time minnows tend to be small, I mean too small for the hook..I have had to argue my way to get the bigger ones out of the tank a few times

@mick... they can't be any smaller than the minnows this past summer which were the smallest I have ever seen. (n)
I used salties from the season before because the hook was thicker than the live ones so quit buying them. :mad:
It really didn't matter as there were very few perch around to be had anyway. :cry:

Last edited:

mick im told theres a bait shop in chatham..not 100 percent sure thou

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks