lake simcoe here we come

smokercraft 17.5

hey guys been a long old winter have been only able to get out ones with mr walleye on the bay with my birthday coming out number 1 had a trick up her sleeve and planed a trip to go stay on the ice in simcoe , this is something ive want to do for a while but 2 young kids and busy working it pretty hard so , she drop the big news last thursday were going ice fishing with my twin and his girlfriend im pumped up were going out of Beaverton with trophy fishing adventures staying in a bungalow we have never fished the lake have done some research but not quite sure whats going to happen , well I have a new lowrance to try old one has died fish tv some new jigging spoons my normal bay setup 4 perchin not sure about this whitefish and lakers never really fished 4 them any words of advice would be great , this should be a great trip with my bro and wife and his girlfriend the huts are huge with tv and dvd should be great time ill post how were doing as the weekend goes on good luck to the rest fishing the bay be safe stevie sorry about the type errors lol

Hey @smokercraft 17.5, we went out of Pefferlaw Fish Huts for 2 days perchin' last week and no one got a single keeper from their huts, including us.:( I sure hope you have better luck out of Beaverton. :)

The Beaverton and Port Bolster area is the best part of the lake for catching a lot of bigger perch and if you're not catching in that area you're in a very bad spot or doing something very wrong. If you go out to deeper water you'll also have a shot at some lakers and whities.

To be successful on Simcoe when the perch aren't aggressive:

-use 8lb braided line with a 4-6lb 3ft flourocarbon leader
-snaps and barrel swivels do spook fish when they're extremely finicky
-dropper chains/lines with very small hooks have saved the day many times
-color and size of lures is very important, even though they're "just" panfish
-move until you find active fish. the best way to get skunked is to stay in one spot

The Beaverton and Port Bolster area is the best part of the lake for catching a lot of bigger perch and if you're not catching in that area you're in a very bad spot or doing something very wrong. If you go out to deeper water you'll also have a shot at some lakers and whities.

To be successful on Simcoe when the perch aren't aggressive:

-use 8lb braided line with a 4-6lb 3ft flourocarbon leader
-snaps and barrel swivels do spook fish when they're extremely finicky
-dropper chains/lines with very small hooks have saved the day many times
-color and size of lures is very important, even though they're "just" panfish
-move until you find active fish. the best way to get skunked is to stay in one spot

Thanks but believe me it was none of those things, the fish were simply not there. No one ice fishing got a single keeper perch and believe me we tried everything in my arsenal including moving around to other huts although we were limited to about 1 sq. mile. Two fellows from Buffalo that have been fishing there for 35 years could not believe there were no perch as they always do extremely well mostly getting their limit. My personal opinion is that due to the extreme temps and high winds they went deeper for warmer water where the bait has probably gone. Having fixed huts with no gear or a way to pursue them further out in almost zero visibility, all of us were pouched. Good luck in Beaverton and let us know how you do. You should have much better weather for your trip. :):D

Hey Smokercraft 17.5 have a good time just don't excpect the lockness perch even though you'll will get some. Whitetail hunter and I got put back into reality on our trips up there. Try to take a few pics from the harbour area at Beaverton and post. Thanks. Huron.

well guys had a great trip the weather was great the bungalow was great and warm the fishing sucked but fun was had by all next trip sleds and gas auger a must but live and learn would of been nice to try for some lakers and whites but next trip thanks to my sweet wife 4 the trip a great bday present steve

well guys had a great trip the weather was great the bungalow was great and warm the fishing sucked but fun was had by all next trip sleds and gas auger a must but live and learn would of been nice to try for some lakers and whites but next trip thanks to my sweet wife 4 the trip a great bday present steve

Sorry to hear that, I was afraid you would run into the same problem @Huron and I did. Honestly I was hoping for a better result for all of you. I was in the same predicament, no gear or a way to get out to deeper water where I'm almost positive the fish have moved to. The fixed huts are convenient and comfortable but unfortunately don't move around like the fish do. Glad you had a great time and besides quality time spent with family is never wasted. We'll get them next time because we'll come prepared, remember hind-sight's always 20/20. :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks