Lake O (Bronte)

will

Wanted to fish Bronte today as I haven't fished it in years.I used to charter in bronte but took my boat to Lake Erie where i have it now for about 15 years.We left the dock at 5am off the water at 10.30 am. We got about five fish no big size.We also hooked a couple of garbage bags down about 60 feet,I couldn't help notice the garbage in the lake (pails,bags etc.)The water fleas were terrible taking them off the line all the time.All though it was nice to fish Toronto again it made me realize how nice we have it in Lake Erie (Turkey Point)
Will

Ok not knocking Erie..it seems clean but think about it. Chemical Alley from Sarnia dumps into Erie, then you have Detroit, buffalo, Cleveland,Windsor etc all on lakeside. Basically the same population around Erie as Ontario.
Yes the fleas in Ontario are bad, thats why flea flicker lines were invented.
Eries changeover volume is about 1/3 of Lake Ontario.
So basically all the trash from all the Great Lakes dumps into Ontario.
Fishing is great here and I wil eat any fish out of Ontario..no worries at all. I just cut out the belly meat and lateral line wher all the fat deposits are!

Phosphates almost destroyed Lake Erie and there remains a few dead zones but we know its a thriving lake now...lets not berate Lake Ontario because there is quality fishing to be had from shore at the right time of year.I have had days fishing lake O in October...my boats parked...and basically pulling out browns one after another from shore using roe!

maybe you guys should read the postings that are on kirkplewes site.from july 17th maybe you will understand,what to eat and what not to eat .ONTARIO FISH.[xx(][xx(][xx(]

Will i hope you dont take offence to this i fish lake O alot i live five minutes from a launch and i also fish erie alot starting from colchester in the spring to burwell come late summer/fall your comment on how good you have it on erie what do you mean buy that ill tell you what i think theres great walleye steelhead perch and its a very nice lake to fish on as is ontario first of all lake erie is no cleaner than lake O if you hav,nt been shoot acoss the lake to port clinton ohio sandusky area and go and fish in front of the bessie davis power generating plant and tell me how clean it is the local fisherman practise alot of catch and release i know first hand i have a cousin taht lives in port clinton that fishis alot then from there go north along the shore to detroit all the cities in that stretch have factories set up on the lake i dont think they truck there waste to landfill sites so were is it going from there the lake empties fom west to east and along with the water all the other junk they put in the water so how much cleaner is erie than ontario stelco/now us steel moved from hamilton to nanticoke so on lake ontario we have no more industry i dont know if we have industry in the us waters of lake O im not sure mabee someone on this site would have more knowledge of this but even if there was that water is heading for the st lawrence so basicly if the lake is dirty its the water that comes down from the niagara and lake erie so how clean is it?I love fishing both lakes im not trying to offend buy no means i hope you have a great time when you fish on lake ontario its really an excellent fishery and alot of people dont know how good we have it they think buy going north to lake simcoe ,rice lake the kawarthas that the water is clean those lakes are cest pools people have been caught with liquid contair trucks full of who knows what stoped alongside the lakes with hoses empting into the lakes id sooner eat a 3 year old king than a 5 year old walleye or perch out of those lakes and the point im trying to make is these lakes all have some sort of pollution or another as for the garbage bags ive seen them those could have blown over from anywere on the lake the reason you found all that junk in the water is theres been constant north winds that been blowing everthing toward bronte credit and burlinton i fish port dalhousie this past weekend and the water was great ,good temps very littlefleas if any and for those who think erie is stellie heaven hit lake O im sure you will change your tune as for how good you have it Will if your happy and having a great time thats great thats what counts life is short have fun just my 2 cents .

Buck Dont worry i wont take any offence to that.I see your point about all the other cities and industry on Erie as well.I know Lake Ontario has a great fishery I have fished it alot.It could have been I was there at the right time with the winds like you said.
We do alot of swimming with the family as well as fishing out at the lighthouse at longpoint,I guess maybe the atmosphere is different.Don't get me wrong I love fishing Lake Ontario but the water fleas are a little bothering after a while.

Will

You know what really funny? I had a guy chain smoke 3 cigarettes while talking to me on the lift bridge in Burlington while I was fishing salmon. I caught a small 2-3lb jack and kept it for the bbq. The guy looks at me funny and says "You really gonna eat that fish? Lake Ontario is full of chemicals!"
since I don't smoke I can see the irony...lmao

Hi all:
Have been turned off by pollution in Lake Ontario and Erie, Grand river
and Great Lake tributaries.
Now, I fish in Northern lakes. A three or four hour drive with my boat
and I'm there. Spend a few days on the water fishing and no fear of eating fish. I know Mercury is everywhere, but regardless of what gov.
says, I have my eyes open and can't stomach eating fish I catch while watching smokestacks and factories on shore like Hamilton or Windsor.
Toxic algae reported in Hamilton Harbour last week. Advised not to dip toe in water let alone eat fish. I feel sorry for kids at fishing derby in Hamilton harbour this weekend. Hope they at least enjoy the experience. Moral of this is head north for decent fish.
Regards
Sinker

Just wanted to inform you that a 3or4 hr drive wont escape ya from industrialization and its chemical soups.Vales copper cliff smelting complex in Sudbury.Back in the 70s and 80s that big smoke stack in Sudbury was linked to a fair amount of the acid rain that near killed more than a few lakes in Quebec and New York state.Recent spill.....
July 6, 2010 - It could be several days before the series of events that unfolded during Thursday's sulphuric acid cloud at Vale's Copper Cliff Smelting Complex are known and steps are put in place to deal with another such incident. "We are still investigating," said Steve Ball, manager of corporate affairs for Vale's Ontario operations, said Monday. "We don't even have a debrief scheduled until (Tuesday)." The leak occurred about 8:15 a.m. July 1, when a railcar being filled with oleum (sulphur trioxide in sulphuric acid) overflowed. The pumping of oleum into rail cars was immediately stopped when an operator noticed the spill. According to Vale, the leak was contained and the situation was downgraded by 8:40 a.m. A "noticeable plume" of sulphuric acid leaked into the air, Vale said. It left the property and then dissipated over the Kelly Lake area.
Just fish to have fun,catch and release is a sure bet.

Sinker one question..do you smoke? If so ...well you have not a leg to stand on in your arguement. You ingest somewhere around 4000 different chemicals everytimme you inhale. ( I don't smoke and never have)
Let me list a few...
1 benzyne...
2 formaldahyde (used to embalm people )
3 ammonia (well we usually clean our toilets with this not our lungs)
4 the main one nicotine (used as a pesticide)
I really get a kick out of people who are "worried" about the chemicals in the fish in the great Lakes.
I am not sure if you ever had the "pleasure" of visiting Sudbury (or as I used to call it "the Moon") in the early 80's.
I also enjoy eating the fish out of lakes in the Elliot Lake area.
Go figure there are uranium tailing pits all around that area.
Honestly if we are concerned about a few "chemicals" then NEVER eat any of our grown vegetables...meats...basically anything on the grocery shelves.
Funny how we can chow down on steriod fed chicken, chemically sprayed vegetables and think we are eating "healthy"!
Just my 2 cents...take it at face value..or actually think about it sometime!

quote:
Originally posted by Sinker

Hi all:
Have been turned off by pollution in Lake Ontario and Erie, Grand river
and Great Lake tributaries.
Now, I fish in Northern lakes. A three or four hour drive with my boat
and I'm there. Spend a few days on the water fishing and no fear of eating fish. I know Mercury is everywhere, but regardless of what gov.
says, I have my eyes open and can't stomach eating fish I catch while watching smokestacks and factories on shore like Hamilton or Windsor.
Toxic algae reported in Hamilton Harbour last week. Advised not to dip toe in water let alone eat fish. I feel sorry for kids at fishing derby in Hamilton harbour this weekend. Hope they at least enjoy the experience. Moral of this is head north for decent fish.
Regards
Sinker

Perhaps you should stick to tho organic grown foods. I just finished a pickeral dinner here from Port Burwell outing. Nothing short of delicious.
DSCN0455.jpg

Erie has a 2 to 3 year turn over of water from its basin and for that reason im not scared to eat any fish i catch from her.The fish are fast growing also and its productivity of fish protein surpasses all the other great lakes combined.Example a 3 lb walleye up north is twice as old as a 3 lb Erie walleye,so less contaminants.

quote:
Originally posted by beernut

Sinker one question..do you smoke? If so ...well you have not a leg to stand on in your arguement. You ingest somewhere around 4000 different chemicals everytimme you inhale. ( I don't smoke and never have)
Let me list a few...
1 benzyne...
I really get a kick out of people who are "worried" about the chemicals in the fish in the great Lakes.
I am not sure if you ever had the "pleasure" of visiting Sudbury (or as I used to call it "the Moon") in the early 80's.
Honestly if we are concerned about a few "chemicals" then NEVER eat any of our grown vegetables...meats...basically anything on the grocery shelves.
Funny how we can chow down on steriod fed chicken, chemically sprayed vegetables and think we are eating "healthy"!

quote:
Originally posted by beernut

Let me list a few...
1 benzyne...

Hey beernut:
Nope don't smoke - never have. Also, I wouldn't fish near Sudbury.
Have a look around Hamilton harbour and tell me honestly you would eat fish caught there. Personally, I couldn't do it. I won't even launch my boat in that water. I realize undesirable chemicals exist in all meat and vegetables. We have to make choices. Have a look around Hamilton bay and tell me thruthfully you would feed your family fish out of that water.
Sinker

Defending local fishery,heres a sad reminder of a lake erie trib.
1969 cuyahoga river caught fire labelled the most polluted in the U.S.
Time magazine describes river as"oozing not flowing""a person does not drown but decays".
This fire helped spur an avalanche of water pollution control..gave us Clean water act and great lakes water quality agreement.
This type of ignorant dumping was then, this is now...west end of lake o never caught on fire but what im seeing today is..trophy sized pickeral,guys floating roe bags by high level bridge nailing 10+lb bows and browns,huge pike,largemouth bass fishin along man made rock islands 3,4 lbers all over the place and tons of big perch...thats what im seeing... these are water quality sensitive fish.If it was so bad why are all of these species thriving?

Sinker you are entitled to your own opinion. I grew up near Timmins, fished all around that area. I eat the perch out of Hamilton Harbour with no worries at all. If you feel that the only clean fish are 3-4 hours north of here, by all means make the drive...save the local fish for us :)
Oh...by the way...the smokestacks in Sudbury are that height for a reason....to have the smoke travel a farther distance from town before descending. Watch it on a clear day sometime, might just be landing near where you are currently fishing.
I only eat perch and the odd small bow out of the harbour...the rest is catch and release. Contrary to popular belief there is an great fishery for bass, pike, carp, browns, bows and panfish in the harbour. Launch you boat and give it a shot...might just surprise you!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks