lake Haliburton - Bass and Lakers

Gortva

Hey guys.
Were heading up to Lake Haliburton next week. Was just wondering if anyone has fished it before? The first year we went up north to Eagle Lake and caught a handful of lakers and Pickerel. The next year we hit Lake Balsom looking for Ski's. Didn't do well at all. Hoping this year is better.

Im thinking about drop shotting dew worms for both lakers and bass. also spoons. Anyone have any experience here?

Attachments

• IMG_2787.JPG
    IMG_2787.JPG
    444.1 KB · Views: 57
Go deep for Lakers..lots of lead and a white twister or swim bait..if you have riggers all the better.. 80 feet... troll blue and silver spoons .. .
The bass will still be fairly shallow..any popular technique will work.. toss senkos ...texas rigged worms.. cranks...topwater in .morning and evenings. I very fished that lake and several around it... most are very deep and featureless to the eye..

I don't know if you can get them here, I've never seen them anywhere, but we used to use "Buzz Bombs" for Lakers in the NWT along with "ruby eyed" spoons, 5 of diamonds, and red devil spoons or "the Wolverine" spoon designed and made by a local sporting goods store owner, but he sold the business years ago and the lure is no longer made. I have three of the "Wolverines" in my tackle box, along with a bunch of Buzz Bombs.

Attachments

• Lake Trout Lures (1).jpg
    Lake Trout Lures (1).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Lake Trout Lures (2).jpg
    Lake Trout Lures (2).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 29
I don't know if you can get them here, I've never seen them anywhere, but we used to use "Buzz Bombs" for Lakers in the NWT along with "ruby eyed" spoons, 5 of diamonds, and red devil spoons or "the Wolverine" spoon designed and made by a local sporting goods store owner, but he sold the business years ago and the lure is no longer made. I have three of the "Wolverines" in my tackle box, along with a bunch of Buzz Bombs.
I was fool enough a few decades ago to tie a buzz bomb my mom brought back from a trip out west onto 6# Ande and a medium spinning rod out by the lighthouse. Didn't take long and hooked a fish I couldn't budge more than 5 feet and some short runs. Lack of patients and being way undergunned for that fish resulted in the loss of that buzz bomb and that fish but the memory remains.

I was fool enough a few decades ago to tie a buzz bomb my mom brought back from a trip out west onto 6# Ande and a medium spinning rod out by the lighthouse. Didn't take long and hooked a fish I couldn't budge more than 5 feet and some short runs. Lack of patients and being way undergunned for that fish resulted in the loss of that buzz bomb and that fish but the memory remains.
I've caught some big big lakers (20+lbs) with the gear I have. (7ft med action thunderstick, 7ft medium action berkley power pole oldest rod I have) with buzz bombs and 12lb mono. But that was back in the NWT. Haven't targeted them here because I don't have the boat to get to'em and even if I did, like everyone else, I'd be out after the perch, the walleye and the bows before I'd be out after the lakers ;)

Never fished Haliburton Lake but have fished Percy Lake which is the next lake up and Kashagawigamog which is just below Haliburton in the spring. Used a Lake troll with minnow on 18-20" leader 1.5 mph with success. This time of year try at or below the thermocline which may require wire line.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks