Off Topic Kicker

Hey all,
Just bought my first boat and I’m looking for a kicker motor. I have a 17’ Starcraft and I’m wondering what hp I could go down to. I see good deals on 4-6hp but I’m not sure if that’s too low. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Depends on conditions you fish in

On a calm flat lake a 2.5 will push that boat no problem.

But on a windy day you could have problem steering and keep boat straight

If your going new ...I personally like the Suzuki 6 hp
Has internal tank on top or hose for external tank

Things to consider are do you want electric start or battery charging system ?

Are you adding throttle controls or pro troll controller

You should look at getting one that has twin cylinders . They run smoother than a single cylinder . Less vibration on your transom. I think that twin cylinder start at 9 hp .

6hp is sufficient however i agree with jakerboy. I Put a 6hp Tohatso on my 1850 SST crestliner and my only complaint is that it rattles too much for a 4 stroke. Pushes just fine. My 200 verado is more quiet. go dual cylinder.

Depends on conditions you fish in

On a calm flat lake a 2.5 will push that boat no problem.

But on a windy day you could have problem steering and keep boat straight

If your going new ...I personally like the Suzuki 6 hp
Has internal tank on top or hose for external tank

Things to consider are do you want electric start or battery charging system ?

Are you adding throttle controls or pro troll controller
Obviously I haven’t considered all of my options (probably because I didn’t have a clue). That’s why I love this site.
Thanks

6hp is sufficient however i agree with jakerboy. I Put a 6hp Tohatso on my 1850 SST crestliner and my only complaint is that it rattles too much for a 4 stroke. Pushes just fine. My 200 verado is more quiet. go dual cylinder.
Thanks Zosk. Obviously I haven’t considered all of my options yet, this site definitely helps.

9.9 Yamaha High Thrust , long shaft, shifter at the controls, power trim.$6000.00 all done, you will never buy another kicker.

9.9 would be my choice. I thought about a 6 hp but wanted the extra power. Use the Panther Bar to connect the two motor together for steering. Only regret is not getting the electric start to charge the battery while trolling.

I have an 8hp high thrust on my 17' i wouldn't suggest going any smaller, if main motor ever fails you will want a kicker powerful enough to safely control the boat to get you back in

On my 19' aluminum boat last year i had a 9.9 evinrude 2 stroke. had to come in on it once last year and i could get 5.5mph and it was a calm day. I think thats the biggest thing to consider. Hope that helps.

Hey Shake and Bake you didn't say where you planned to fish. Keeping safety in mind. Where you fish will determine what you need for safety so you can get home to your wife if your main fails for some reason. Be safe. Enjoy your new boat!

I had a 6hp Honda 4 stroke on a Lund Alaskan 18'. Heavy rig with a 90 Yamaha, riggers, 4 batteries, blah blah. The 6hp did a good job, but I would ?? if it got Lake Erie rough and I had to use it to get back 6 or 8 miles to port. Size for size, I would go 9.9 like others have said.

I put a 9.9 four stroke on our 17 foot crestliner last year for added safety.We now use it for trolling and steer with the bow mount trolling motor.On the down side, she believes the remote is hers, like the TV remote ! :oops:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks