Off Topic Kayak question

Puddle Jumper

What length fishing rods do use in yaks

What type size net do u use

I have been using 6 footers.

And I have a small extendable rubber basket net that I use when yaking as well as bushwacking headwater streams - I can keep fish in the basket till I unhook them and let them go.

WR

Hey Puddle Jumper,
My answer....depends. No, not the wearable type though when out several miles on the Great Lakes, probably could use them.

What type of fishing? Puddle, small lake fishing where you are casting for bass and stuff like that, use whatever....don't matter. Big water fishing, I use the exact same rods you use in your big boat when trolling for salmon, trout or walleye. 8.5-9' footers, medium heavy action with line counter reels. While I don't use weighted lines, I know some yak guys that do. I also know yak guys that use mooching rods. The one thing I don't see with yak guys...are roller-eyed rods (talora?) or pure stout downrigger rods. SO, yeah....big open water, same rods you have now.

When I troll shallower water for salmon/trout like in the Maitland, Bayfield or Saugeen....I use a 8.5 medium baitcaster. Here, instead of setting lines/lure/harnesses and trolling, I cast the lure and set in the rod holder. As in the river, you can only use one rod, this works best plus I have the spine in the rod to fight bigger fish.

Netwise, same basket size as your big boat net...but for me, slightly shorter handle length. Too long and its weildy in the yak. Normally, when not in use (most times), it stands behind me/my seat in a cannon holder.

Again, shallow water casting for little fish...don't matter. Big water, big tackle, big fish....same rods and basic net as your big boat,

King Joe Outa Here!

Thanks for the advice guys.

I will be starting with northern back lakes ...mostly targeting walleye and pike , with the occasional trip for lake trout.

I am planning on fishing usually shortly after ice out (mid may) and late sept / oct.
So in past years ...surface water temps can be anywhere from 33 - 60 degrees.... so I will be either wearing my floater jacket or a paddlers lifejacket .

Most of my rods ( for northern lakes ) are 6 -7 '
UL, L, M depending on species and technique I'm fishing

I just bought a collapsible rubber net today with a 24 " handle , I think should be ok

The rods you have will work fine. Some companies make kayak specific rods, generally just with shorter grips. I haven't tried any out yet though. TC

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks