I've seen worse prices.

Trevor M

My wife and I made a stop at the Oxford/Gammage Superstore today. I've seen worse prices, but I'll still go catch my own instead of payin these prices for what they're giving in the package.

Whole live lobster, $17.99/lb (that's not that bad I've seen far worse) but they were pretty small.

They didn't have any perch so I couldn't tell you what they'd be charging right now.

A full rainbow was $ 24.23/kg (that's $10.99/lb) they were pretty small too.

Walleye (what they labeled as pickerel but I just call lunch) was $44.07/kg (that's $19.99/lb) and yep you guessed it, pretty small, in fact none of the packages they had on the shelf actually had a full fillet in it. Some had small tail pieces, others only had small center cuts of the fillet.

I did pick up a package of lobster tails tho. (2 in the pack previously frozen) for $12. Fresh not frozen packs (2 in the pack) were $22 and I didn't have quite that much to spend. They'll be part of supper tomorrow. ( Been a very long time since I had Steak and Lobster 🤤 )

Attachments

• 0603231303-00.jpg
    0603231303-00.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 0603231305-00.jpg
    0603231305-00.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 7
My wife and I made a stop at the Oxford/Gammage Superstore today. I've seen worse prices, but I'll still go catch my own instead of payin these prices for what they're giving in the package.

Whole live lobster, $17.99/lb (that's not that bad I've seen far worse) but they were pretty small.

They didn't have any perch so I couldn't tell you what they'd be charging right now.

A full rainbow was $ 24.23/kg (that's $10.99/lb) they were pretty small too.

Walleye (what they labeled as pickerel but I just call lunch) was $44.07/kg (that's $19.99/lb) and yep you guessed it, pretty small, in fact none of the packages they had on the shelf actually had a full fillet in it. Some had small tail pieces, others only had small center cuts of the fillet.

I did pick up a package of lobster tails tho. (2 in the pack previously frozen) for $12. Fresh not frozen packs (2 in the pack) were $22 and I didn't have quite that much to spend. They'll be part of supper tomorrow. ( Been a very long time since I had Steak and Lobster 🤤 )
At those prices @Trevor M I hope to catch my own walleye’s ( not pickerel- lol 😆 ),and rainbow trout out of my boat soon out on Lake Erie,whenever these strong winds that we are having right now,decide to settle down again. Enjoy your lobster 🦞 tails and your steak 🥩 tomorrow. 😋😉 👍🙂

That’s cheap. With truck and boat ownership and seasonal slip and gas and worms and gear, I figure we have $40 a pound into our fish. But I love fishing and don’t golf.
Worth every cent spent.

That’s cheap. With truck and boat ownership and seasonal slip and gas and worms and gear, I figure we have $40 a pound into our fish. But I love fishing and don’t golf.
Worth every cent spent.
I said I'd seen worse prices and I don't play golf either. To me, golf is just fetch without the dog :LOL:

I don't own a boat, and I'm on a very set income (and it ain't very much and leaves me with very little after I pay the household bills I pay) so it's cheaper for me to go catch it IF I can, plus it gets me out of the house and it's more fun ;)

That picture is the seafood section of our freezer last year when I went back into hibernation (end of August) a full month earlier than normal. I don't even want to try to figure out how much THAT would have cost me at grocery store prices, (but if I had any $ to bet with, I bet it would be close to, if not over $1000 at grocery store prices,) considering what's there and I didn't pay anywhere near that to go catch it all.

Attachments

• Seafood section of our freezer Aug 28 2022.jpg
    Seafood section of our freezer Aug 28 2022.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 15
We get spoiled in Maine as our friends are lobster fishermen. We usually get boat prices..around $5/lb. Lobs we get are around $8 each...so we usually get 6 or 8 at a time...leftovers for lobster rolls!!
We go in late Sept so I might bring a cooler of live ones back. We used to do it a lot...25 in a 120qt cooler packed tight with frozen water bottles on the bottom, sea weed, lobsters, sea weed and newspaper on top. Duct tape it shut and its good for a few days.

I feel your pain Brother Trevor M ! Being on a fixed income sucks the big one ! Owning a boat is a P I T A ! Not to mention a place to throw your money into. Almost wished I never retired... well almost ? LoL !

I feel your pain Brother Trevor M ! Being on a fixed income sucks the big one !
Yeah it does. This year is the first year since I was forcibly retired that my disability pension is ALMOST paying me in a month, what I used to make in a week. Generally, after I pay the household bills I pay, and help with the groceries, gas in the car, etc, I'm left with between $50-$200 to last me a full month until I get paid again. Right now I have less than $50 in the bank to last me until I get paid again, 3 weeks from today. But, the bills I pay around here are paid. We have food and the car has a full tank, so I'm able to go fishing again maybe tomorrow or Friday, possibly both. I could have gone today but my 'everything' (back, hips and shoulders) have been bothering me little more than usual yesterday and today, (usually happens when the weather changes slightly or is about too) so I stayed home. Hopefully, when I do go fishin again, the fish will be there AND cooperate. The more fish I put in the freezer, the easier groceries are on the wallet and bank account.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks