It was only a matter of time

If so, (and the CBC story is true) - the effort's to sustain them in the US failed. Lack of Federal funding forced Illinois to go it alone in it's containment efforts. Unbelievable that this happened. Politics, again, and again. and again............

If so, (and the CBC story is true) - the effort's to sustain them in the US failed. Lack of Federal funding forced Illinois to go it alone in it's containment efforts. Unbelievable that this happened. Politics, again, and again. and again............
I've read somewhere stories of people purposely releasing them just so they could fish them..
Hope that's not true.. Ignorance of some people if so.

There is a certain nationality of people that eat asian carp. They are the ones that brought them over here in the first place. There have been several news stories over the last few years of people getting caught on the 401 from Windsor with these live fish. Where do you think they were going ? Why would they have live fish?

There is a certain nationality of people that eat asian carp. They are the ones that brought them over here in the first place. There have been several news stories over the last few years of people getting caught on the 401 from Windsor with these live fish. Where do you think they were going ? Why would they have live fish?

@Naden16 here's an article from the Detroit Free Press that may answer all your questions. What surprised me is how involved the U.S. government was in all of this, it was an eye opener.

http://archive.freep.com/article/20...5/Asian-carp-U-S-much-blame-fish-farms-escape

Actually, much of the blame goes to the US. They messed around with breeding and introducing them to try and control weeds and algae.

These are grass carp, not the high flying silver carp that have taken over the Mississippi. Invasive.....yes. A huge threat to our great lakes.....no. Although I do believe it's just a matter of time until we'll be "scarping" on our home waters:(

Josh

These are grass carp, not the high flying silver carp that have taken over the Mississippi. Invasive.....yes. A huge threat to our great lakes.....no. Although I do believe it's just a matter of time until we'll be "scarping" on our home waters:(

Josh
How do you figure they are not a threat to the Great Lakes????

The Grass Carp I don't believe are a huge threat. They have been around in small numers for years. They feed on plant material just like the Common Carp that have already established themselves.

Silver Carp are the ones that have overrun the Mississippi and are at risk of entering lake michigan. They are filter feeders and will exploit a niche not occupied by native species. They will thrive in shallow areas of the lakes and choke alot of our rivers.

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks