Is A Boat Insurance Policy worth the cost $

• No

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 46 80.7%
  • undecided

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
I always believed that to be true too Wayne but the Insurance company says otherwise. They explained that the attached trailer is covered by the vehicle policy but the boat is considered 'cargo' and is not covered with the tow vehicle or trailer. They said the same applies to your sled or ATV in a trailer. May not be the same for all insurers but they said it's pretty much the norm now.
I do believe mine would be covered but I also have boat insurance with my Jeep insurance company. So I am covered either way

Definitely a yes for me. Also I have a layup period but it is only Dec 15th until March 1st. This company has had the best prices i have found. So far 2 of my friends have switched over to them.

Some may ask - Can I afford the insurance? I would ask - Can you afford not to have it? For a liability perspective if nothing else - heaven forbid you have an issue - without insurance you stand to lose everything you own and anything and everything you may ever own.

I do believe mine would be covered but I also have boat insurance with my Jeep insurance company. So I am covered either way
Mine are too but the reason I asked them was about towing my boat during the required layup period and they said I wasn't covered with the base policy. Trailer was covered under the truck while under tow, but the boat was not (it was only covered in storage). This could be a problem even when insured with the same company....may be worth double checking if you're ever doing something like that but it is kind of unusual.

At any rate, you're boat is insured anyway but if others are going to assume their uninsured boat is covered with the tow vehicle when on the road, they may be mistaken.....I think that's kind of the point we were getting at.

Definitely a yes for me. Also I have a layup period but it is only Dec 15th until March 1st. This company has had the best prices i have found. So far 2 of my friends have switched over to them.
What company are you with? thanks

When I had my boat at outside storage and in the driveway my kicker was stolen twice and electric trolling motor once on 3 different occasions. With three claims my insurance company wanted to cancel my homeowners policy. That's when I started to have completely separate boat insurance. I use NaticLife now and am very happy with their service and price.

I think coverage is key. Liability for passengers who may not be experienced boating. Covering cost of the boat if stolen and or damaged. Covering the loan if stolen. I also believe companies who only deal with only Marine insurance are the way to go. My auto and home insurer suggested marine company only. The layup period for guys who like late fall early spring fishing is only a phone call and they just explain what you are responsible for and what they aren't. I still owe a good chunk on this toy so if it were a total loss, I would hate to have to pay for something I'm not using. I increased deductible to lower annual rate. Everyone knows what boat stands for. Break Out Another Thousand.

I never paid for a boat insurance. When the boat is being trailered, it is covered by the car insurance. When the boat is in the garage, it is covered by your home insurance (whatever may happen to it). If you are constantly boating near beaches or dense areas this may be a different consideration in the context of the 3rd party damage God forbid...

I never paid for a boat insurance. When the boat is being trailered, it is covered by the car insurance. When the boat is in the garage, it is covered by your home insurance (whatever may happen to it). If you are constantly boating near beaches or dense areas this may be a different consideration in the context of the 3rd party damage God forbid...

I think maybe you should confirm that with your insurance company....I am told that is this is not the case for towing or storage. Your auto policy likely only covers liability while you're towing not damage to the boat or trailer.

Last edited:
each policy will be different, and have its own exclusions and coverages, whether it is for car, homeowner or marine coverage. If you place a marine coverage claim on a homeowner or auto policy, the claim will go against that policy. So that will increase that policy cost and another claim against that policy in a 2 - 3 years may result in refusal to renew, or a steep increase in rates. It happens, as @Outdorman mentioned. Here's a thought for you- a bearing fails travelling down the highway, wheel comes off trailer and hits oncoming car, injures or worse to car occupant. Are you covered? Or bearing fails and you catch it before it fails, but hub assembly is toast - are you covered for towing or road side repairs? I don't know about you, but the thought of leaving my boat on the side of a highway for someone to put on a tow truck, or worse drive into, is not really something I want to consider. I remember in 2020 out at bluffers on Sunday afternoon. A couple hooked their boat and trailer to their car at the end of a day's outing. Went to visit their friend for an hour. Came back and the boat and trailer were gone. The thieves just unhooked it and took it away. Or, your electrics and motor fail in 61 fow off Burwell in 3 - 4 foot waves - are you covered for C-Tow? Boat sinks like we saw happen at Port Stanley or any one of 100 ways we have seen it happen, is salvage and environmental covered? Are you that wealthy?

A marine policy will also cover you if you hit a deadhead or rock and damage the motor or boat. If you operate in the dark (pre dawn, after sunset) I would think that is something you would want? I think about some of the logs I have seen in the water on my way out to the fishing grounds and cross my fingers every day I hot lake O in the pre dawn darkness. My policy also covers loss of use - they will provide me a rental replacement while mine is down, or stolen, to a maximum amount.

I don't doubt for a moment what @G.Mech says is correct for some policies, while others will cover boat and trailer You really need to read the policies. I have more than once been told something over the phone that didn't agree with the wordings of the policy. In a classic case, my broker recommended we switch homeowner insurance to reduce our costs the year before I bought the new boat. When I bought the new one, I called to see if the homeowner policy would cover the value of the new boat (it was 3.5 times what the old one was), I was told that unlike the previous policy, the new one did not extend coverage to the boat. I didn't think about it at the time we switched and nor did the broker. Fortunately for me and the broker, I didn't need it in those 10 months. Lesson learned.
60+ years has taught me sh#t happens. Once it hits the fan, its too late if you ain't prepared.

My CAA recreational membership pkg covers towing my boat, ATV and my vehicle, I bought the longest towing distance up to 200 kms.

Last time I used my membership
An August trip to Wheatley with fellow members truck & boat. Hwy 401 Tilbury turnoff with truck engine failure with seized water pump slipping off serpentine belt..Ya so I called CAA, driver comes puts the truck on the flatbed and towed the 19 ft smokercraft behind to a good repair shop in Belle River..Fixed up in 2 hours and on are way..driver said the tow would of cost $280 without the membership..

Something to think about if not carrying boat insurance. If you are involved in a serious boating accident caused by the negligence of someone who has no insurance and owns no property, the likelihood of recovering an amount to help pay for your damages is almost nil. On the flip side, if you are the person responsible for a boating accident causing injuries and you do not have insurance, you could lose your home and part of your wages to pay for the damages you have caused. Remember people sue for millions today so yes having boat insurance is a no-brainer, if you have one that is. ;)

Hi All.. I took @G.Mech's advise called broker and he was 100% correct. They don't cover when being towed.... THX . G.Mech !!!!!!!!!

Insurance, you don't know what coverage you have until you make a claim, ( small print). Last Thursday/Friday heavy rainfall caused Kettle Creek to rise four feet. Boats were ripped from their docks, in fact one boat, with dock still attached ended up on the rocks next to the boat ramp. I know of two boats sunk and no insurance. I'm surprised that marinas would allow boats with no proof of insurance.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks