Fishing Report Internet Weather Sites

newbe72

I don't know about you guys but I'm getting really peeved off with the so called weather forecasts, I primarily use 4 sites, the Weather Network site, the Canadian Goverment Weather site, the Windfinder site & the Windy Wind site. I know Lake Erie can be a hard lake for accurate weather forecasts but when they call for 20km winds gusting to 30km & 2 to 3 foot waves & it turns out to be a fantastic day, NO WIND & FLAT AS A TABLE TOP, somethings wrong, really getting frustrated missing out going fishing because of the extremely poor forecasts.
Does anyone know of any better sites, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Don't forget the NOAA site for Great Lakes buoys and marine forecast from gov weather site. Gov marine site also has ice report which fun in winter

Something I've learned is the weather sites are usually accurate but they show the worst case. We all know Erie can go from flat as a board to 4 footers in no time. The weather sites will just say 4 footers.

I don't know about you guys but I'm getting really peeved off with the so called weather forecasts, I primarily use 4 sites, the Weather Network site, the Canadian Goverment Weather site, the Windfinder site & the Windy Wind site. I know Lake Erie can be a hard lake for accurate weather forecasts but when they call for 20km winds gusting to 30km & 2 to 3 foot waves & it turns out to be a fantastic day, NO WIND & FLAT AS A TABLE TOP, somethings wrong, really getting frustrated missing out going fishing because of the extremely poor forecasts.
Does anyone know of any better sites, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Best site is hind sight

it’s always 20/20

If you go to this thread from Wednesday https://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/i...text=Fishing Reports-,Weather,-Thread starter you'll see the sites I look at.

I put more trust in the last 3 as they're usually the most accurate for my needs. Remember I'm usually sitting on the pier in Pt Bruce so having an idea what the winds are possibly doing at the lake or Aylmer which is much closer to the lake than where home is, has quite often saved me a wasted trip when the lake is potentially going to be to rough to sit on that pier. After I look at those sites, I look out the window and see what the tree tops are doing and I trust my eyes. But, I also know that what it's doing here in London, isn't necessarily what it's doing at the lake. In fact sometimes what it's doing in the west end of the city or downtown, isn't what it's doing here at my place out by the airport and I NEVER trust any forecast more than 3 days out because it's bound to change, and usually does by the time that third day arrives.

@newbe72 you are asking for a too much (and so am I). Predicting weather is pretty tough stuff... I use Windy and NOAA, and also another flavor of Windy called windy.app so if they are more or less in sync, I am somewhat trusting their forecast. Plus all the weather stations and buoys.

I know how you feel, but I have what I call my limit of "no fishing bad weather" and give it some tolerance of let's say +/- 30%. So if the forecast is 30% worse wind-wise, and this is over my limit, I stay home. If not, I can get out.

My limit with my 18ft Legend is 15 km/h and prognosed not more than 1ft of waves given that the wind direction is not from the lake. Bigger boats and comfort level of other folks have better limits. You can choose what is best for you and remember that it's ok to have a few less sucking fishing trips each year.

If you go to this thread from Wednesday https://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/index.php?threads/weather.86017/#:~:text=Fishing Reports-,Weather,-Thread starter you'll see the sites I look at.

I put more trust in the last 3 as they're usually the most accurate for my needs. Remember I'm usually sitting on the pier in Pt Bruce so having an idea what the winds are possibly doing at the lake or Aylmer which is much closer to the lake than where home is, has quite often saved me a wasted trip when the lake is potentially going to be to rough to sit on that pier. After I look at those sites, I look out the window and see what the tree tops are doing and I trust my eyes. But, I also know that what it's doing here in London, isn't necessarily what it's doing at the lake. In fact sometimes what it's doing in the west end of the city or downtown, isn't what it's doing here at my place out by the airport and I NEVER trust any forecast more than 3 days out because it's bound to change, and usually does by the time that third day arrives.
As an example, I just looked at all the sites I look at. As usual, they're all a little different. Windy says the winds are out of the NW at 10km/hr gusting 21km/hr. The weather buoy out in the lake off PT Stanley says it's a WSW wind at 21km/hr gusting 29km/hr. Windfinder says it's a WNW wind at 13km/hr gusting 24km/hr. Wunderground says it's a WSW at 8km/hr that site doesn't give the gusts. The Weather network says it's a W wind at 11km/hr gusting 17km/hr. Env Canada says it's a WSW at 9km/hr and doesn't mention gusts but does say it's supposed to swing around and blow out of the NW at 20km/hr this afternoon.(both for London) I looked out the window and the trees tops aren't moving at all. Not even a hint of a breeze here at home right now. But what it's doing here at home as I said in my earlier post, is not necessarily what it's doing at the lake.

That said, I trust what my eyes (and my body since I got hurt) are telling me. I'm always in pain, early spring and early fall really do a number on me with the weather constantly changing until mother nature decides what season it is... but....I KNOW if the forecasts are even remotely accurate about storms by how much I'm hurting. IF they're right, I hurt a lot more than normal. When they say we're going to get them and I don't hurt more than normal, I know we're not likely going to get them.

IF I had been able to convince my wife to take advantage of the "free fishing" weekend today, we'd already be on the pier in Pt Bruce or if we had a boat, we'd already be on the lake, but since I couldn't convince her, I slept in. We might still end up down in Pt Bruce today, but if we do, it won't be to go fishin. We'll be going for fries, maybe a burger, and possibly a walk on the beach. (and of course if we do go, today will likely be a day I should have gone fishing, especially when you consider that it was a year ago today that I got a limit off the pier.:ROFLMAO: )

Last edited:
Needless to say predicting the weather correctly is a sliding scale percentage wise. Day 1 95% Day 2 75% Day 3 60% of being right . Even with all our technology it comes down to a "best guess" spit out by a computer. The reason you get different reports is due to each sites computer modeling (prediction) much like opinions they differ. At least nowadays we have the gadgets to keep us updated in real time . My Smartphone has all the weather apps mentioned already but it still boils down to me to interpret and decide "GO or NO GO". Web Cams ; a lot of them out there at different Ports of Call .

Needless to say predicting the weather correctly is a sliding scale percentage wise. Day 1 95% Day 2 75% Day 3 60% of being right . Even with all our technology it comes down to a "best guess" spit out by a computer. The reason you get different reports is due to each sites computer modeling (prediction) much like opinions they differ. At least nowadays we have the gadgets to keep us updated in real time . My Smartphone has all the weather apps mentioned already but it still boils down to me to interpret and decide "GO or NO GO". Web Cams ; a lot of them out there at different Ports of Call .
Exactly!!! Always still a decision made within hours of going very rarely is the wind predicted to be calm days in advance and that’s how it turns out.

Exactly!!! Always still a decision made within hours of going very rarely is the wind predicted to be calm days in advance and that’s how it turns out.
And of course there's the other thing to consider as well. If you're going out after perch, sure flat calm can be a good thing, not always tho. A bit of a "ripple" isn't a bad thing, a slight "chop" can be even better. Likewise, you don't necessarily want the lake to be flat calm if you're going after walleye. You want the lake to be a little bit bumpy (and everyone's definition of "little bit bumpy" is different.) For example over the past few years I've been out with @tailfeathers in conditions that I called a "little bit bumpy" while others wouldn't have even tried and a lot of that decision is based entirely on your own comfort level in accordance with the equipment and experience you have.

Something I've learned is the weather sites are usually accurate but they show the worst case. We all know Erie can go from flat as a board to 4 footers in no time. The weather sites will just say 4 footers.
Thanks Wildfire, my wife & I are going to try to get out Sunday morning out of Port Bruce, 3 of the 4 weather sites say the weather is going to be good until around 2:00pm, 1 says its going to be cloudy & rain, 3 out of 4 are goods odd's, wish me luck, I'M GOING

If you go to this thread from Wednesday https://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/index.php?threads/weather.86017/#:~:text=Fishing Reports-,Weather,-Thread starter you'll see the sites I look at.

Thanks Trevor M, I'll give your site a try

And of course there's the other thing to consider as well. If you're going out after perch, sure flat calm can be a good thing, not always tho. A bit of a "ripple" isn't a bad thing, a slight "chop" can be even better. Likewise, you don't necessarily want the lake to be flat calm if you're going after walleye. You want the lake to be a little bit bumpy (and everyone's definition of "little bit bumpy" is different.) For example over the past few years I've been out with @tailfeathers in conditions that I called a "little bit bumpy" while others wouldn't have even tried and a lot of that decision is based entirely on your own comfort level in accordance with the equipment and experience you have.
Thanks Trevor M, totally agree

@newbe72 you are asking for a too much (and so am I). Predicting weather is pretty tough stuff... I use Windy and NOAA, and also another flavor of Windy called windy.app so if they are more or less in sync, I am somewhat trusting their forecast. Plus all the weather stations and buoys.

I know how you feel, but I have what I call my limit of "no fishing bad weather" and give it some tolerance of let's say +/- 30%. So if the forecast is 30% worse wind-wise, and this is over my limit, I stay home. If not, I can get out.

My limit with my 18ft Legend is 15 km/h and prognosed not more than 1ft of waves given that the wind direction is not from the lake. Bigger boats and comfort level of other folks have better limits. You can choose what is best for you and remember that it's ok to have a few less sucking fishing trips each year.
Thanks vmuravin, my wife says I always ask for too much, than she slaps my face

Thanks Old Cut Longpointer, I totally agree

Just got home from a crop tour with the little woman and the flags at the bottom of the hill were hanging straight down and we could see people on the beach but couldn't see the water for fog. Sitting in the parking lot at Sobeys in Tillsonburg and there is a beautiful breeze now.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks