Interesting Observation

Helmut

Was of shore of port Maitland from 8 till 1 today. Waves were a bit high for a bass boat but a fun ride anyway.

What I saw was odd though. Waves were coming from the south,south west but we were seeing small whitecaps coming back from shore. Has anyone seen this before?

Got skunked by perch by the way. Wife got one so she has bragging right today

I think that what you saw were "returning waves" or rip currents caused by a moderate / strong onshore wind piling the water up such that it has to flow back off-shore. See this for more info:

http://greatlakesecho.org/2011/06/03/ocean-force-rip-currents-threaten-great-lakes-swimmers-water-safety-effort-tries-to-breach-lifeguard-gap/

Yes sir that is exactly what i saw. Now that you mention it i remember my scuba training years ago mentioning how dangerous great lakes rip currents can be, Just never actually witnessed any in progress. Very interesting mother nature is.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks