Imported boat tariff

Has anyone imported a boat in the last few months ? I know they implemented the 10% tariff but am hearing conflicting things . I called Canada customs and they told me if the boat was made in America and was fiberglass " I should be fine " it wasn't a very convincing answer lol. The difference of tariff or not is about 10k for me on a 100,000$ boat. Just curious if anyone has been through the process lately. I have imported many boats but nothing in the last 3 years.
Thanks

Has anyone imported a boat in the last few months ? I know they implemented the 10% tariff but am hearing conflicting things . I called Canada customs and they told me if the boat was made in America and was fiberglass " I should be fine " it wasn't a very convincing answer lol. The difference of tariff or not is about 10k for me on a 100,000$ boat. Just curious if anyone has been through the process lately. I have imported many boats but nothing in the last 3 years.
Thanks
May be an issue of the tarif applying to the aluminum cs boats in general, but I don’t know a ton about it. Our taxes suck enough already that any added cost is an even bigger kick in the nuts for sure....

My understanding is, the tariff is on the boat only. It does not apply to the motor or the trailer etc. It has nothing to do with if it's aluminum or not. The tariff you're paying is Justin's return volley of Tariff to offset the US charging a steel and aluminum tariff. Its Justin charging a tariff to import a boat. Just like he setup some to charge a tariff on whiskey and underwear and god knows what else. So on a dealer invoice, there is a breakout of boat $ motor $ trailer $ etc. They use the boat portion to do their charge. (and of course they have some arbitrary blue book style smell test) to make sure we don't just say, well on this $100k boat only $2k is boat rest is motor / gear. On my new Lund, the dealer est about $5k going to Justin. Plus his HST, and plus the income tax he took when I earned the $ to buy the thing in the first place....

Did that apply to used boats as well when importing from the states. Looking at purchasing a used unit and wondering if I need to factor that into costs

Thansk

This is for aluminum boats only, and lawnmowers and washing machines. It was intended to counter the tariffs from Trump and was to only apply to items where there wasn't an alternative made in Canada. As we know, there are two major Canadian boat companies. One has its hulls made in the US and the other is owned by a US company. Therefore one would still pay the tariff on the hull only. There is no way all sales can divert to these Canadian companies. This is nothing but a punitive tax from Trudeau. I was looking at Bass Pro yesterday and on a $60,000 Tracker, there was more than $2,000 broken out as "Canadian tax". Dealers have told me this will disrupt the pricing for a long team because what happens when the tax is lifted? Who will buy the boat with the tax still on it?

My understanding is, the tariff is on the boat only. It does not apply to the motor or the trailer etc. It has nothing to do with if it's aluminum or not. The tariff you're paying is Justin's return volley of Tariff to offset the US charging a steel and aluminum tariff. Its Justin charging a tariff to import a boat. Just like he setup some to charge a tariff on whiskey and underwear and god knows what else. So on a dealer invoice, there is a breakout of boat $ motor $ trailer $ etc. They use the boat portion to do their charge. (and of course they have some arbitrary blue book style smell test) to make sure we don't just say, well on this $100k boat only $2k is boat rest is motor / gear. On my new Lund, the dealer est about $5k going to Justin. Plus his HST, and plus the income tax he took when I earned the $ to buy the thing in the first place....

Not to mention that the aluminum used to make the hull was almost certainly made in Canada in the first place and therefore subject to Trump's 10% tariff going from here to the US. We pay again when it comes back but don't really see it spelled out.

Reactions: Rex
I feel your pain. As a Canadian company that has to import some raw material in the form of steel it is affecting our business. However what is the alternative when the US applies tariffs to Canadian steel exported to the US. This is a counter tariff. If it was not done the US would run roughshod over Canada leading to even more tariffs on other Canadian goods. Yes it hurts in the short run but would be much worse in the long run if Canadians do not stand up to bullies with little economic sense. All these tariffs have done is hurt the Us economy. I am not a great supporter of Trudeau but believe for the economic future of our country he did the correct thing. And isn’t it nice to have a strong PM for a change? Exiting soapbox..

When I brought a 2002 Seaswirl Striper (fiberglass hull) home that I purchased in Florida in early February, I just had to pay the tax at the border (13%....no tariff). I was expecting to pay a 10% tariff on top of the total (as that's what I was told when I phoned the border before making the trip) So perhaps I got lucky. Maybe I'll get a bill in the mail....I certainly hope not, but so far so good . You'll pay GST on the trailer at the border and then pay the PST on the trailer at service Ontario when you register the trailer.
Certainly was worth the trip for me. Prices were way better down there on what I was looking for (even with the crappy exchange)

Here is the list. My guess - there will be a follow up invoice in the mail.
8903.10.00Inflatable boats
8903.91.00Other: Sailboats, with or without auxiliary motor
8903.92.00Other: Motorboats, other than outboard motorboats
8903.99.90Other: Other vessels for pleasure, outboard motorboats

Here is the list. My guess - there will be a follow up invoice in the mail.
8903.10.00Inflatable boats
8903.91.00Other: Sailboats, with or without auxiliary motor
8903.92.00Other: Motorboats, other than outboard motorboats
8903.99.90Other: Other vessels for pleasure, outboard motorboats
I was told those were tariffs from other countries ... I did find this though

The above is false information, it was never removed. The "big" lobby groups touted their fake "awesomeness, look how useful we are look what we accomplished" but in fact it was never removed. I just ordered my new Lund. It is NOT removed. All the dealers are quite angry at the gov't.

The above is false information, it was never removed. The "big" lobby groups touted their fake "awesomeness, look how useful we are look what we accomplished" but in fact it was never removed. I just ordered my new Lund. It is NOT removed. All the dealers are quite angry at the gov't.
I've made 2 calls to the Canadian boarder services both have told that there is language but it isn't being enforced. They both said I should be ok. I still don't like my odds lol

Reactions: Rex
If it's not being enforced, that's good for you, but also even more frustrating for someone like me buying new. One pays the other doesn't. Hopefully in the coming weeks the gov't pulls their heads out from under Trump's @$$ and recognizes the economic impact on our dealerships up here. Tariff's between two allies make absolutely no sense.

I've made 2 calls to the Canadian boarder services both have told that there is language but it isn't being enforced. They both said I should be ok. I still don't like my odds lol

Not much of a chance of them pulling their heads out of their asses..... until the next election enema. ?

If it's not being enforced, that's good for you, but also even more frustrating for someone like me buying new. One pays the other doesn't. Hopefully in the coming weeks the gov't pulls their heads out from under Trump's @$$ and recognizes the economic impact on our dealerships up here. Tariff's between two allies make absolutely no sense.

Just an update . Came home with my 2018 Ranger 522D today. It took 3 ports of entry to make it happen without paying the tariff. Basically it boils down to this... If you inquire at the boarder about you will definitely pay! Thought I was doing the right thing by inquiring at the peace bridge today . Intentions were to find out for sure then have the guy I'm buying it from meet me at Canadian customs . When I brought up the tariff it brought managers into the conversation and was told it would apply. Frustrated as I called multiple times I went to rainbow bridge in Niagara ,asked the guy what I had to pay on a used boat and he said hst and riv. I asked him flat out about the tariff. Once again got his boss involved and yup I had to pay the 10k if I imported it. What she did tell me is alot of agents aren't applying it and if you get through without paying don't look back lol. She said they can't come after the tariff funds if your not charged them at the border. Basically I drew attention to the tariffs at both crossings. 3rd crossing was Lewiston bridge . I had the guy meet me there with the boat on the Canadian side. I asked no questions and was in and out in 15 minutes with NO tariff applied. I wasn't going to buy the boat of I was paying 10k more for that. Word of advice .... Keep your mouth shut if your going to import a boat.

Attachments

• IMG_20190324_121043.jpg
    IMG_20190324_121043.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 94
Just for general knowledge thought I would add this in as I am looking at heading down over the next couple weeks to pick up a boat. Called Border Services and chatted with a "superior officer" as described and after discussing my issues asked him about the 10% trump tariff. He said typically we wont apply it as and I quote "a bunch of bs and we wont apply it to your personal watercraft" that's the rainbow bridge.

Hopefully that guy is on shift when I go through.

Let us know how it goes. I like they it's not getting applied on one hand. On the other, I don't really like that the border services seems to think they can ignore laws because they think they're "bs" (even though I agree with them)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks