Off Topic Identify Local Snake??

10-7

Greetings, just curious as to what type of snake this is? I believe it could be a Grey Ratsnake, but obviously not certain. My son and I came across it on the trail near the fish hatchery in Turkey Point. The grey ratsnake is endangered, but can be spotted in the area.

Thank you20200520_180923.jpeg

Thanks so much for clarifying Jacobus. Hate to run into a mature one. Apparently they can get quite large.

Cheers

Hate snakes!
buddy took me out on a mosquito infested lake in Louisiana. Saw enough snakes that day to last me the rest of my life.

I hate to repeat myself but that is a hog- nosed snake. If you don’t like snakes these will make you soil your pants . They put on quite a show , hissing and spitting and their head goes flat like a cobra. Completely harmless and when pushed to far will coil up on their back and play dead. They come in lots of patterns ,and colours , makes them harder to l.d.

Definitely not a hog-nosed snake @morgan here is a description & a photo of a hog-nosed snake,View attachment 23251 and I almost stepped on a hog-nosed snake last May,2019 near the Thames River while I was fishing for walleye’s.Here are some of the photo’s from last May of a hog-nosed snake
that I saw.View attachment 23257View attachment 23259View attachment 23260 ??
Well if I was there sure as ? I would not be taking pictures and you would see me running . Lol
Not a fan of creatures with out legs on ground or more than four legs
I can just picture looking at the thing and saying " ah look at it , it's so cool looking "
Next sentence screaming " its biting my face get it off get it off ! "

You are correct Red Hering that is definetly a hog nosed snake . I live on a sand farm and have seen lots of these snakes , they used to lay eggs in my greenhouse and I had lots of the little buggers crawling around ( cute at that stage ) Like I said they come in all kinds of colours and patterns . When we were kids we called them puff adders. The only real distinct thing they have is the shape of there head with the up turned nose ( lunkerhunters picture shows that very well ) They are a short fat snake where as a Black Rat is long , I have only seen two in my life both at Longpoint .

Well if I was there sure as ? I would not be taking pictures and you would see me running . Lol
Not a fan of creatures with out legs on ground or more than four legs
I can just picture looking at the thing and saying " ah look at it , it's so cool looking "
Next sentence screaming " its biting my face get it off get it off ! "
I took a few video’s @Ticker of the hog-nosed snake before it “slithered” away & it was my first hog-nosed snake that I ever saw & it is good to know that a endangered species like this snake in Ontario could be perhaps be making a comeback. ??

You are correct Red Hering that is definetly a hog nosed snake . I live on a sand farm and have seen lots of these snakes , they used to lay eggs in my greenhouse and I had lots of the little buggers crawling around ( cute at that stage ) Like I said they come in all kinds of colours and patterns . When we were kids we called them puff adders. The only real distinct thing they have is the shape of there head with the up turned nose ( lunkerhunters picture shows that very well ) They are a short fat snake where as a Black Rat is long , I have only seen two in my life both at Longpoint .
I am no expert on snakes by any means @morgan but because it looked so unique & my first snake that I have ever seen like that,I therefore looked into it more to find out what kind of snake that was.Komoka Provincial Park happened to have a billboard 7EDAF871-ACD5-44D7-85A8-D01A95BC1ECD.jpeg there at the entrance of their park while I was hiking there,which at that time helped me to identify this particular snake.??

Attachments

• 419AB8FA-7A71-4FBE-ABC9-CF6CE046413F.jpeg
    419AB8FA-7A71-4FBE-ABC9-CF6CE046413F.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 10
I hate to repeat myself but that is a hog- nosed snake. If you don’t like snakes these will make you soil your pants . They put on quite a show , hissing and spitting and their head goes flat like a cobra. Completely harmless and when pushed to far will coil up on their back and play dead. They come in lots of patterns ,and colours , makes them harder to l.d.
I'm pretty sure if you run over them they will coil up and play dead too.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks