Off Topic Icemaker Passes ( Fred Plewes )

Cap'nkirk

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
To inform the members of 68 that have read my posts over the years and all that knew my Dad ,Fred Plewes- Icemaker, he passed away yesterday morning at the age of 89 after suffering a stroke back in June. Glad to say he just closed eyes and went peacefully. A comfort to all of us in the Family. MY dad started fishing Long Point Bay when he was a young boy so we are going back a ways. His dad was a charter boat captain on Long Point Bay on boat out of St. Wlliams and he would go help his dad.He would tell me stories about the various trips he and my grandfather would take in there 14 foot boat with a 7 1/2 horse motor, travel out to Saw Log Creek from the Old Cut to fish for the abundant pike that were there back in the 50's and 60's. He also told me about they had to carry extra gas each trip, just in case they decided to follow the shore and head to bluff bar. I said you guys were nuts, he would laugh and tell me those were the boats that were common on the lake back then, not like today were everyone owns a big boat..Lol,,,, Dad and myself have been fishing together since I was old enough to hold a rod and have traveled all over Ontario fishing the many lakes and rivers that are available in Ontario. Splake fishing was always a great get away every year in the early spring at Colpoys Bay to go fishing,sometimes breaking the ice in the 14 foot aluminum to get the fishing grounds...Lol then come in clean our catch sit in my camper, cooking then eating the tasty cold water splake drinking and laughing with the other fishers we met up there. It was a great time. My Dad always went river fishing with us in the fall when we traveled to Lake Ontario tributaries Lake Huron and the abundance of fish able rivers and always to Thornbury and Meaford. He did this with us until he 75 years old and his knees would not take the walking down the hills any more. Long Point Bay was his favorite place to fish and he and my Mom had a trailer at Marina Shores for many years so he could get up at the crack of the dawn or stay out til the sun set to do what he loved best fish. He also enjoyed the many varieties of fish in Long Point Bay and said as many have said over the years you do not have travel far to enjoy a great fishery for what ever you want. Anyway I hope he is up where ever you go enjoying what he loved to do...FISH.. He was a great man, I will miss him out fishing with me but am glad I got to fish until he was 88 Years old..:)
20180812_103114.jpg

I remember seeing that photo in one of your posts. What a great photo for your collection to look back on with memories of fishing with your dad. Sorry for your tremendous loss @kirkplewes... I'm sure you'll have him in spirit on the seat beside you on every future fishing trip. :)

@kirkplewes So sorry for your loss, the memories will help in the future. I still fish with my fathers pole (48 years later). Father's as fishing partners is a great experience, little things will bring back many memories.

@kirkplewes truly sorry for your loss.

Although we have never spoken face to face, I recall many times coming in off the lake after fishing and seeing you and your father sitting by/in your boat, dressed in his very distinctive hat and blue jacket, and exchanging brief pleasantries while passing by.

Sorry for your Loss and I know what you and your Family are going through after Loosing my Father @ 89 Years Young just in August this year. Condolences from my Family To Yours

@kirkplewes
Kirk my condolences to you and your family. We have worked together for many years and had some conversations about our fathers. You’ve had the opportunity to fish with your dad for many years and was able to cherish those moments which will never be forgotten. Both of ya‘s were virtually inseparable and I always said I’d give anything to have my Dad back.
R.I.P. Ice Maker (aka Fred Plewes)

Lost my dad when I was 15 to a heart attack.He was 51.My I con My best friend.Took me 12 yrs to figure it out.Your dad lived a good long life.May God bless.

@hvyhaul you will have to holler when you go by and introduce yourself. Yes his distinctive hat and blue jacket....lol

@kirkplewes truly sorry for your loss.

Although we have never spoken face to face, I recall many times coming in off the lake after fishing and seeing you and your father sitting by/in your boat, dressed in his very distinctive hat and blue jacket, and exchanging brief pleasantries while passing by.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks