Ice Conditions at Long Point 2022-23

A buddy and I attempted to hunt at blind 42 today. We broke a good 1.5-2” of ice in the little pond at the blind. Maybe saw 75 ducks all day and majority of them were on a mission and showed zero interest towards the decoys. We did managed to get a couple nice mallards. Hopefully get some warmer weather before the season is over.

Attachments

• 939075C3-C281-4175-80AB-4BCA6BE93A3D.jpeg
    939075C3-C281-4175-80AB-4BCA6BE93A3D.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 65
And who said "youth is wasted on the young" ? LoL ! Brings back many memories of end of the season hunts . Always a good idea to go with a buddy for safety's sake and to share the work and joys of the hunt. Here's a trick to travel light ; take two of your best Black Duck decoys plus maybe a nice Mallard Hen as it will draw the Drakes in.

Hello Guys,

I wanted to post an update on Wednesday but I had some trouble with our internet connection at the clubhouse.

The ice has reached out quite the distance but there are still some areas that remain open ... spotty at best.

I think that the weather tonight and tomorrow will seal our fate for the next week or so ... Merry Christmas everyone!

Jerome

Hello OCLP,

I follow the weather on the American channel "Jet 24" which is located across the lake in Erie, Pennsylvania since their shoreline weather is very similar to the weather at Long Point.

Jerome

PS I think that the word "gods" is spelt with only a small "g" for reasons beyond this response whereas our God is spelt with a capital "G" for obvious reasons.

Hello OCLP,

I forgot to mention ... they are calling for 52 F by Thursday which would be about 11C ... here is hoping they are correct.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

The shoreline and all of the boat launches are still frozen shut at the moment but the ice further out is apparently getting fairly thin from what I can see ... happy New Year everyone!

Jerome

Hello No Class,

Sorry ... not much has been happening until today with some more open water but the boat launches are stil "iced up" as of today.

Some folks are walking out to open water ... not something that I would encourage unless you know the area well.

Jerome

Checked out The Point this afternoon and as above everything is froze up except the Big Creek ramp but where can you go ? From Port Rowan the Inner Bay look iced over kinda ? You might be able to get out from Collins Marina or Turkey Point but that to is doubtful. Good luck but I think the season is done down here.

Pulled the boat and layout back out of storage. Big creek ramp is open. Decent amount of opener water in b zone. Looking out if the old cut it’s open water as far as I can see. Channels are still froze up pretty good. Hoping all the rain and warm temps over the next few days changes things. Will post later in the week what it’s like down here.

Attachments

• 1BA09862-8E90-4371-BF57-7C692677B578.jpeg
    1BA09862-8E90-4371-BF57-7C692677B578.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 25
Hello Bradon,

Most of the Inner Bay is now open as of this afternoon except along the shoreline and most of the boat launches ... obviously.

Plenty of Tundra Swans, Sandhill Cranes and Canada Geese are still around but do not know where the ducks are hanging out.

Jerome

PS We may try heading out on Friday for one last layout shoot.

Thanks Jerome.

I was over at Collins harbour on Monday and there was a few big rafts of ducks sitting in the open water.
The east wind has blown all the ice chunks towards Old Cut. Hoping it doesn’t go out far but hard to tell with the fog.

Good luck on Friday!

Attachments

• 41EC39BC-02F4-4349-811C-7E9F4E7AAF02.jpeg
    41EC39BC-02F4-4349-811C-7E9F4E7AAF02.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 34
Hello Brandon,

Well ... last Friday was a "goose egg" for us east of Turkey Point with the layout boat ... a few birds remained on the water feedung on something about 200 yards further out from shore.

I saw that several groups came out on Saturday to give the area one last "kick at the can" and one group bagged a bunch of Canvasbacks and Redheads next to Port Rowan ... well done!

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks