Ice Conditions at Long Point 2022-23

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

Wow ... never had to start this thread before the first week of December. Just eight (8) days ago I could have laid out in my backyard with only a bathing suit on ... now it is -4 C and covered in snow!

I had a pair of mallards feeding in the marsh portion of my backyard (adjacent to Zone B) yesterday morning but the ice started forming along my seawall as well as along the shoreline of Zone B during the afternoon. By this morning most of Zone B had frozen over and I heard that the marinas were "iced in" as well.

Port Rowan harbour is also "iced in" to the lighthouse (as of 30 minutes ago) but the ice appears relatively thin ... the north shore has ice out to about 50 to 75 yards then it is open water beyond that.

Big Creek is open but the boat launch is closed for boats on trailers due to the bridge construction. Hope this helps for now.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

I just checked out Zone A (west end and northern margin of the marsh) with my binoculars and it was also "iced in" with the a fair amount of ice extending out beyond the vegetation ... at least from what I could see.

Jerome

Thanks Jerome!
These are always appreciated from those who come in from out of town.

Forecast looks favourable, so let’s hope the birds had a look and decided to hang around.

Cheers!

Headed out of the Old cut Marina this morning. Broke a good 1.5” of ice in the channel. There was ice out about 150yd from shore.
Headed to the head of the bay. There was ice 100yd off the east side of the unit, north side had ice but was hard to tell how much and colleta bay/ B zone was 90% frozen. I’m going to assume all the inside of the unit is froze over.

Attachments

• 9DDEB27C-4D0C-476E-9818-1A971F2348A8.jpeg
    9DDEB27C-4D0C-476E-9818-1A971F2348A8.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 42
I hope the Weatherman is right about the temperatures going up this week ( plus 8c by Thursday ?) so I can pull my boat out.

As for ducks ? So long as there is open water there will be ducks ! Divers for sure but Puddler's are more sensitive to freeze up due to loss of roosting ponds but with lots of corn available and creeks and ponds that are still open some should hang around.

Hello Guys,

I just returned from Marina Shores and drove by Sandboy Marina, Big Creek as well as the Port Rowan harbour on my way into town ... not much change from my previous reports. The ice is definitely melting (getting thinner in areas) but there is still a large area that is covered with ice.

Jerome

Headed out of the Old cut Marina this morning. Broke a good 1.5” of ice in the channel. There was ice out about 150yd from shore.
Headed to the head of the bay. There was ice 100yd off the east side of the unit, north side had ice but was hard to tell how much and colleta bay/ B zone was 90% frozen. I’m going to assume all the inside of the unit is froze over.
I wonder when that guy is going to take that boat out

Hello Guys,

Well ... the ice is still out there but is rapidily receding as well as getting thinner in most areas ... should be good to go by Friday.

Jerome

Well I took a shot today thinking the winds and temps of the last couple days would clear things out. Driving down the causeway I thought I made the right call. Boy was I wrong:

Howey completely locked up with about 3” of ice at the ramp. Doesn’t look like anybody has broken through yet. (This surprised me)

The park had one vehicle in it where someone broke there way out to the bay. Ice looked pretty thick from what I could see floating after that trip. Didn’t want to drop the $40 only to get stuck at the mouth.

Sandboy ramp/parking looked empty but I think someone had broken through earlier but it looked like Colleta still had some thickness throughout.

It was a nice day to take the boat (1448 Jon) for a long car ride….

Hello Bugzy,

I think that I may have seen you drive by my house as I remember seeing somebody drive by with a Jon Boat yesterday.

You can always phone me the night before you come down to check the ice conditions here or phone the unit office.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Much of Zone B is still covered with some ice but towards the marinas most of Zone B is wide open as of now (just drove by it).

Most of Zone A has open water around the outside of the marsh but I cannot comment about the interior of Zone A at this time.

Most of the North Shore is wide open and there is not much ice in the Port Rowan harbour as of this afternoon.

Jerome

You can always phone me the night before you come down to check the ice conditions here or phone the unit office.

That is a mighty gracious offer, thank you.

I would sit at home and stew over it if I didn’t see it for mysel :)

Pulled my boat out for the year Thursday. Had to break a little ice but it was thin. The Old Cut Blvd. Channel was open as was the Howey Ave ramp and channel. The big problem is the low water level ! Some guys came in with Jon boats and mud motors and said it be scary to take a regular outboard through the Unit as they were having a hard time in the mud.

Hello Guys,

I just came back from Marina Shores and drove through Port Rowan ... all the ice is gone from Marina Shores and Sandboy Marina but there is still a bit of ice in the Port Rowan harbour.

Zone A and Zone B appear to be ice free as of this afternoon as the temperature was 9 C last night ... should be good tomorrow.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Just a short note to let you know that some ice developed along the shoreline last night ... extending 25 to 50 yards out.

The boat launch at Big Creek is clear of ice and the Port Rowan boat launch was cleared today by somebody venturing out.

Jerome

Thanks for the update Jerome ! I was down to Old Cut yesterday (Wednesday) and seen a die hard duck hunter shooting off the Causeway (B Zone) in front of the CWS office probably due to the inner marsh(A Zone) being froze up or lack of water ? Tough hunting as he had the wind in his face.

Hello OCLP,

I was to have gone out layout hunting with my neighbour to Turkey
Point on Tuesday morning but "wimped out" at -2.5 C with a high of only about 2.0 C for the day.

They did okay (shooting) but their boats were "iced up" due to the spray getting out there. They were cold and exhausted by the time they made it back with one bird each.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

There was some additional "icy slush" pushed against the existing shoreline ice over Wednesday night but it did not freeze up. There was no change over Thursday night.

The Port Rowan boat launch was clear of ice as I drove by this morning and the Big Creek boat launch remains clear ... do not forget to put $15.00 in the mail box.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

The temperature last night remained around 1.5 C but we did receive some snow pellets early this morning.

The ice conditions that I previously reported are slowly resolving since the tempetature today remains above freezing.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

The low temperatures last night (steady at about -1.5 C) really added a lot of ice along the shoreline ... now reaching out a few hundred yards in some places. The north shore however is relatively open except along the immediate shoreline.

The Port Rowan harbour boat launch has thin ice out to the end of the pier but the Big Creek boat launch is still wide open. Most of Zone A appears to by "iced up" from what I could see as well as a good part of Zone B which has a lot of thin ice.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks