Ice Conditions at Long Point 2021-22

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I thought that I would post my annual "Ice Conditions at Long Point" thread since we have had a few days with some marginal thin ice forming in the shallow areas of the marsh ... especially in the Big Creek WMA and in the Smith Marsh.

I go to Port Rowan a few times every week so I can report on the ice conditions in Coletta Bay, the boat launch at Big Creek (as well as Big Creek itself), the boat launch at Port Rowan (as well as the harbour itself) and the North Shore ... for the most part.

Jerome

PS Feel free to post your observations as well on this thread since I will not be able to report on all of the hunting areas.

I’m interested in this, as it’s quite the trip to find the accesses/marsh locked up. Someone like myself really appreciates the information from those who might be local or visiting the area.

Thanks in advance

Hello Guys,

Yesterday was really the first day that there was any significant amount of thin ice in the shallow areas of the Big Creek WMA (west side of the causway) and the Smith Marsh (east side of the causeway) with maybe some thin ice (from what I could see) along the fringe of the "Zone A" marsh.

The Port Rowan Marina and the North Shore was totally free of any ice in the morning (0900 hours) as well as in the evening 1700 hours). Coletta Bay was free of any ice as well (from what I could see). The water is still too warm for much ice to form at this time ... especially with the wind that we had.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

The cold weather and a calm inner bay made for lots of ice overnight ... first time this year that I had ice off my seawall and it extended out quite a distance covering much of Coletta Bay (Zone B) this morning.

The margin of the Crown Marsh (Zone A) was also "iced up" early this morning with some areas extending out a fair distance. Fortunately most of the ice has now melted but there is some ice along the shoreline.

The Big Creek area (including the boat launch) is obviously wide open due to the current. The Port Rowan marina (including the boat launch) has a layer of thin ice remaining as of 1605 hours today but there is little ice remaining along the North Shore.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

It was calm and cold overnight so there was a thin layer of ice over most of Coletta Bay, the Big Creek WMA and the Smith Marsh. There was also some ice within the Port Rowan marina as well as along the North Shore but only out to about 25 to 30 yards.

However with the sun and rising temperatures most of that ice had atarted to melt by mid-morning and when I returned home by mid-afternoon all the ice described above had already melted ... so you are good to go.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

It was calm and cold overnight so there was a thin layer of ice again over most of Coletta Bay, the Big Creek WMA and the Smith Marsh. There was also some ice again within the Port Rowan marina as well as along the North Shore but only out to about 25 to 30 yards.

The temperature has remained below freezing today so not much of the ice has melted but it would appear that the northern edge of the Crown Marsh is free of ice as of this afternoon with a fair number of ducks utilizing this area.

Big Creek is obviously wide open due to the current as well as the boat launch there with only a small amount of ice along the immediate shoreline. With mild temperatures on the way this weekend everything should be open on Saturday at least.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

That was certainly a cold night last night with a low of -10C that caused a lot of ice to form covering most of Coletta Bay as well as the margin of the Crown Marsh ... however ... the sun with a high of -5C this afternoon helped some of that ice (which was very thin) to melt during today.

Big Creek (at the bridge) is still "open" as is the boat launch there but there is a lot of broken "slushy" ice sitting in the channel (east of the bridge) as of an hour ago but the rest of Big Creek (west of the bridge) is open with a fair number of ducks feeding in the area that is not frozen.

The Port Rowan marina still has some thin ice remaining as of this afternoon and there is some ice (10 to 25 yards) along the north shore but the rest of the Inner Bay looks open from what I could see. Some warmer weather is expected for Tuesday night and into Wednesday ... good luck.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

We certainly received some warmer weather on Tuesday night and during the day on Wednesday keeping the ice at bay but then the temperature dropped later in the afternoon and over Wednesday night forming lots of ice ... then more ice formed duringThursday and over Thursday night.

Most of Coletta Bay is now frozen over and there is now a fair amount of ice along the outer margin of the Crown Marsh ... however Big Creek is wide open as well as the boat launch there with access to the Inner Bay which is for the most part wide open and free of any ice.

The Port Rowan marina is "iced in" but there is not much ice along the north shore ... 50 to100 yards in most places and up to 200 yards in one place that I could see as of an hour ago. There are still lots of birds around in the Inner Bay so good luck if you are heading out tomorrow.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks