Ice Conditions at Long Point - 2020/2021

Hello Guys,

I have "hunkered" down since Thursday afternoon except for snow removal on Friday and on Saturday ... will confirm what others have stated ... pack ice was formimg late Thursday into Friday followed by a thin layer of ice over most of Coletta Bay and along the shorelines.

However as OCLP has stated the warm air mass that arrived last night and remained today has melted nearly of of the ice ... the Port Rowan marina is still iced in as of an hour ago but the launch at the Big Creek bridge is wide open. I saw many birds return as the ice melted ... unfortunately most of them were coots.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

There was a quick "ice over" along the shorline from Monday night to Wednesday morning however most of this ice had melted by Wednesday afternoon. Some of the outer blinds (shooting points) in Zone A remained apparently open since I could see a few hunting parties there and on the fringe of Zone B during the day.

The boat launch at the Big Creek bridge remains wide open and the boat launch at the Port Rowan marina has minimum ice remaining as of a few minutes ago. I am not seeing many birds around ... even the coots (lol) have left the area. The mild temperatures on the way should help keep the water open for the last week of the season.

Jerome

PS There is still a bit of ice along the north shore.

Hello Guys,

I saw them but not that many.

Still some residual ice at the Port Rowan marina but the north shore looked pretty well clear of any ice as of a few minutes ago.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

There has been no change in the ice conditions since my last report other than to say that much of the calm and shallow areas of the CWS Big Creek WMA has frozen over moving many of the remaining birds out to open water ... hope that helps anyone venturing out for tomorrow.

Jerome

The north side is still nfg......

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_1401132.jpg
    IMG_20210110_1401132.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 42
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks