Ice Conditions at Long Point - 2020/2021

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I thought that I should post this year's thread regarding the ice conditions as I have for the last few years since one day last week we had some thin ice develope overnight and we are in for a cold snap later this week.

I usually note the conditions in Coletta Bay, the boat launch at the Big Creek bridge and the Port Rowan harbour. Feel free to post consitions at the marinas, the boat launch at Howey Blvd and the boat launch within the Provincial Park.

Jerome

Good idea Jerome, could save somebody a trip down down if you can't launch a boat or worse go out and you can't get back in due to ice. A lot depends on what type ice and what type of boat you have ie; an aluminum will break some ice but a fiberglass would get chewed up in no time. We've broken ice upwards to 2 inch thick but our props took a beating from the chunks. Needless to say the boys/gals at the local Fire Dept. Search&Rescue don't want a phone call and this time of year there are less people out there to help you and caution should be the key word. Thanks for the updates !

Provincial park launch was frozen today right at the ramp. I broke it free with a spud bar and was able to launch. the mouth of the channel has ice chunks clogging it up, was able to make it through all that ,but tonight might have it frozen tight for tomorrow

Hello Guys,

I apologize for this tardy report ... on Wednesday afternoon on the way home I noticed that the ice was forming only in the calm and shallow areas of the Big Creek Wildlife Area and of the Smith Marsh (east of the causeway and north of Big Creek) ... no ice (for the most part) was seen in the LPWMU as far as I could see.

However during the entire day on Thursday "slush ice" was forming and accumulating in the inner bay but could not consolidate due to the constant wave action ... that changed overnight as the wind calmed down so much of the inner bay near shore is now temporarily "iced up" until the milder weather arrives this weekend.

Jerome

PS The boat launch at the Big Creek bridge is wide open.

Hello Guys,

Most of the ice was gone today but there was still some ice along the shoreline.

The boat launch at Port Rowan was also fairly well open this afternoon.

Jerome

Hello Duckman,

I once had internet service at home when I first started posting "Ice Conditions at Long Point" on the Channel 68 "waterfowl" forum several years ago and consequently I was able to quickly post any significant change to the ice condition at Long Point at that time.

I no longer have internet sevice at home because a few years ago my computer's browser was not able to handle the incoming data due to its age. I now use a Samsung tablet and post my comments from the parking lot of our clubhouse (which is now closed) whenever I am able to.

I am sorry if that does not meet your current requirements but you may always telephone me usually any evening after 1900 hours for an update if that works for you. You may contact me by e-mail (thebuddyboy@hotmail.com) to obtain my telephone number.

Jerome

PS I have previously provided my telephone number to a few "out of town" hunters for that very reason ... it appears to work for them.

Hello Guys,

I just drove by the east side of the inner bay on my way to Port Rowan ... the entire inner bay appears to be ice free including the north shore which still had some ice along the shoreline yesterday afternoon.

Jerome

As of 3:00 pm on Sat. Dec. 26 most of the inner marsh was freezing up (no idea of thickness) the area around 37 to 39 was filling with pack ice. B-Zone was freezing over. The Big Creek ramp was still open at that time.

Weather stations predict big wind ( 50 gusting to 75 km/h) out of the South with rain and rising temperatures (5 c ) for Sunday night into Monday morning. That should take care of any ice issues. Winds to abate and turn West throughout Monday.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks