Ice Conditions at Long Point - 2019

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I did not think that I would have to start this "thread" this early but the ice "rolled in" last night.

The North East wind on Monday kept the ice from forming but the low temperature and the lack of wind overnight was ideal for the ice to form several hundred yards out from shore along the causeway.

Where there was some wind overnight there was open water this morning ... so it may be "patchy".

Jerome

Hello Guys,

The Port Rowan harbour is still "iced in" for the most part as are probably the marinas at the end of Colette Bay but the ice is still slowly melting during the day and then reforming a bit at night.

Jerome

Yesterday our channel had three to four inches. I could walk across it.
The north wind has filled the outer edges of the marsh with about 100yrd of broken ice.
The inner bay of big rice behind the CWS signs was hard, all of little rice bay was full of ice. And getting out past the end of the old cut to open water was almost 200yrd of broken ice.
We pushed out some titanic burgs off the shore of thoroughfare and set up for a pass shoot with the north east wind. Had a few small groups pass just out side our spread but no interest in decoys.

today looks like it’s gonna be a good walleye day.

Hello Guys,

The remaining ice melted with the mild 9 degrees that we had last night ... this morning all the ice was gone and the Port Rowan harbour was ice free today.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Although there was some very thin ice extending out 100 to 200 yards from shore on Tuesday morning it started to melt in the afternoon.

The mild temperature (4C) overnight reduced the remaining ice to nothing by this morning. Big Creek remained ice free and the Port Rowan harbour is also ice free.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Although there was some very thin ice extending out 100 to 200 yards from shore on Saturday morning it started to melt in the afternoon.

Most of this new thin ice had melted by Sunday morning and all of it was gone by sunrise today ... more of the same this week ... a freeze-thaw cycle.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

The ice is still out of the entire bay as of this morning but so are the ducks ... where are they?

With the low temperature forecasted for tonight there will probably be some ice forming again along the shoreline but it should be gone by the weekend.

I heard that the puddlers are feeding in the local corn fields but where are the divers hanging out?

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Well ... the Big Freeze eventually came last night with the calm weather.

I saw ice extending from my seawall out to about 400 yards (meters) or more. From what I could tell most of the LPWMU appeared to be frozen over by this morning in spite of the fact that the temperature only went down to 1.5 C last night.

Big Creek is wide open as is the boat launch at the bridge and most of the Inner Bay (north shore area) appeared to be open and free of ice. The Port Rowan marina has some thin ice extending out to the start of the Inner Bay ... then open water.

The private "bubblers" in some of the boat houses in the Port Rowan harbour are working to keep the ice to a minimum ... for now.

Jerome

PS Anonymoose ... you are welcome.

Hello Guys,

Not much has changed from yesterday but the ice has receeded by about 25% overall along the shoreline. Only one "bubbler" is working today at the Port Rowan marina ... the other two that I saw working yesterday were turned off today.

Jerome

After the last two days is everything froze up tight, including Big Creek? Any info would be appreciated

I tried to look this morning, right at dawn, from the north shore, and it looked like ice and snow for as far as I could see.

Hello Guys,

On Wednesday afternoon Big Creek was starting to freeze at 1700 hours as I drove over the bridge but there were two (2) parties still hunting there. Although the mouth of Big Creek was still open at that time the ice was quickly forming in the Inner Bay since the morning.

On Thursday the mouth of Big Creek and a good section of the Inner Bay remained open thanks to the sun during the day ... saw several eagles out on the ice.

This morning Big Creek was iced over at 0800 hours but only west of the bridge as the boat launch (east side) was still serviceable with ice only along the shoreline ... still open water out to the Inner Bay ... but few ducks seen.

However there has been a build up of Sandhill Cranes in the area over the last week and I saw several large flocks this morning ... in the hundreds.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

This afternoon Big Creek was partially open at the boat launch (broken ice) with a patch of open water both east and west of the bridge.

However the Inner Bay was basically totally frozen over from what I could see with a few thousand Sandhill Cranes roosting overnight on the ice.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

This morning Big Creek and the boat launch was totally free of ice when I drove over the bridge at 0730 hours.

The Port Rowan marina was still "iced in" out to the end of the wharf and then it was open water.

Although there is still a considerable amount of ice along the shore the Inner Bay has opened up quite a bit overnight.

Jerome

Reactions: EDJ
Hello Guys,

This morning the Inner Bay was basically free of ice for the most part except for along the shoreline.

The boat launch at the Big Creek bridge and Big Creek were completely free of ice this morning. Although the Port Rowan harbour still had some loose ice remaining it certainy looked passable ... in any event it will be gone shortly with the warm weather expected today and this weekend.

This will probably be my last post for the season but you may call me any evening (519-586-9825) after 1830 hours.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks