Ice Conditions at Long Point - 2018

Hello Quacker Smacke,

Well you did not miss anything as there was ice out 50 to 75 yards from shore by Thursday morning and then most of the inner bay was iced over by this morning.

Even Big Creek was totally iced over this morning ... that is unusual as it generally remains open for some time after the inner bay freezes.

Jerome

PS Red Hering ... my reports relate to waterfowling.

Hello Quacker Smacke,

Well you did not miss anything as there was ice out 50 to 75 yards from shore by Thursday morning and then most of the inner bay was iced over by this morning.

Even Big Creek was totally iced over this morning ... that is unusual as it generally remains open for some time after the inner bay freezes.

Jerome

PS Red Hering ... my reports relate to waterfowling.
Yes,I knew that your reports relate to waterfowling,and sorry about the intrusion.@Tundra SwanBut you were the only one at the moment that mentioned the ice conditions on long point bay on stomps website,so if anyone would know the ice conditions on the bay this time of year,it would likely be the duck hunter’s,and all the best.(y):)

Last edited:
Looks like bay may freeze entirely overnight. Looked like it froze out at least halfway last night. Will report tomorrow...

Hello Guys,

It is really "hit or miss" these days as Big Creek was wide open again on Friday afternoon and all day Saturday but was frozen over by this morning. However the mouth of Big Creek is still open as the Tundra Swans piled in there late yesterday afternoon.

Jerome

PS Red Hering ... no problem ... will let you know when I see the fish huts out on the inner bay. I usually see the ice huts near Booth's Harbour before I see them further out on the inner bay.

Hello Guys,

It is really "hit or miss" these days as Big Creek was wide open again on Friday afternoon and all day Saturday but was frozen over by this morning. However the mouth of Big Creek is still open as the Tundra Swans piled in there late yesterday afternoon.

Jerome

PS Red Hering ... no problem ... will let you know when I see the fish huts out on the inner bay. I usually see the ice huts near Booth's Harbour before I see them further out on the inner bay.
Thanks @Tundra Swan,and your help would be very much appreciated.(y) I am getting my ice auger blade’s replaced today,and I also have my ice fishing tackle on standby,and good luck to you & others during the ice fishing season if we get safe ice on the inner bay of long point this winter.(y) :cool:

Hello Red Hering,

I just thought that I would let you know that as of this morning there were no ice huts out on the inner bay yet. However the inner bay is completely iced over with much of it snow covered. Probably still too thin for safety reasons.

Jerome

Hello Red Hering,

I just thought that I would let you know that as of this morning there were no ice huts out on the inner bay yet. However the inner bay is completely iced over with much of it snow covered. Probably still too thin for safety reasons.

Jerome
Thanks @Tundra Swan I was hoping to get out onto the ice this thursday,only because there were ice fishermen fishing this past weekend with some success.Jimmy riggin has also put his ice huts out yesterday.I will wait till this thursday to decide wether to go ice fishing or not. Thanks again for your help.

Hello Red Hering,

I do not think that would be a good idea with the warm temperatures and the rain in the forecast for Wednesday and Thursday ... the ice looked bad this morning.

Jerome

Hello Red Hering,

I do not think that would be a good idea with the warm temperatures and the rain in the forecast for Wednesday and Thursday ... the ice looked bad this morning.

Jerome
Thanks @Tundra Swan I agree,and hopefully by next week with these cold temperatures coming back soon again,the ice on long point bay will be safe again for ice fishing sometime next week.????

Hello Red Hering,

Good news for you ... the ice built up over the weekend and I saw many ice huts out on the inner bay from Booth's Harbour this morning ... many as in over 40 or more!

Good luck and enjoy the hard water ... I will wait for spring.

Jerome

Hello Red Hering,

Good news for you ... the ice built up over the weekend and I saw many ice huts out on the inner bay from Booth's Harbour this morning ... many as in over 40 or more!

Good luck and enjoy the hard water ... I will wait for spring.

Jerome
Thanks @Tundra Swan for the great news about the ice built up over the weekend,and it’s great to know that there are many hut’s out on the inner bay off Booth’s Harbour.(y):cool: That’s what I usually wait for once the hut’s start to show up on the bay,it usually means that the ice conditions are safe.Keep warm and hopefully the winter won’t last too long!! :giggle:(y):cool:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks