Ice Conditions at Long Point - 2018

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I have posted this thread each year for a few years now and welcome comments from everyone. I can check and post the ice conditions at Big Creek and Port Rowan on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings as I go to the gym on those days.

This morning there was thin ice going out 200 - 300 yards beyond my seawall but the outer limit of Zone B was still open.

Big Creek was wide open ... no problem there.

The Port Rowan marina boat launch was iced over with partial ice extending out to about 100 yards.

The north shore had a fair bit of ice along the shoreline (50 - 100 yards) but with the sun out all day today that problem should not last long ... warming up tomorrow.

Jerome

PS I still use yards but you can consider them as meters if you like.

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

Still no ice anywhere as of this morning.

A boathouse collapsed in the Port Rowan harbour last week and the road beyond the boat launch is closed accordingly. You can still use the boat launch but a construction trailer is near by.

May be best to have someone guide you down the ramp.

Jerome

Quaid

I'm a few hours away but I checked the old cut webcam and it looks like the water might be freezing up again. Can anyone confirm? Hoping to get out for a final hunt tomorrow (Saturday).

Tundra Swan

Hello Quaid,

There was no ice as of sunset last night but overnight the ice formed along the shoreline ... to about 200 yards out. However most of Coletta Bay was still open this morning and Big Creek was wide open.

The Port Rowan harbour was iced in (including the boat launch) and the ice was fairly extensive along the north shore ... thin but extensive. The temperature is dropping low again tonight so beware.

Jerome

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I just drove by the Port Rowan harbour ... minimal ice is present. The bay is open for the most part but there is still some ice behind my place ... broke some along the seawall ... less than 1/4 inch thick.

Jerome

noclass

Inch to inch and half of ice in most channels. We went out of Pt Rowan this a.m. Someone had broke ice through to open water before us.....thankfully. A few random chunks floating through the bay but open otherwise.