Ice Conditions at Long Point - 2018

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I have posted this thread each year for a few years now and welcome comments from everyone. I can check and post the ice conditions at Big Creek and Port Rowan on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings as I go to the gym on those days.

This morning there was thin ice going out 200 - 300 yards beyond my seawall but the outer limit of Zone B was still open.

Big Creek was wide open ... no problem there.

The Port Rowan marina boat launch was iced over with partial ice extending out to about 100 yards.

The north shore had a fair bit of ice along the shoreline (50 - 100 yards) but with the sun out all day today that problem should not last long ... warming up tomorrow.

Jerome

PS I still use yards but you can consider them as meters if you like.

Hello Guys,

I noticed that all the ice had melted by last night and the boat launches were open this morning.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Still no ice anywhere as of this morning.

A boathouse collapsed in the Port Rowan harbour last week and the road beyond the boat launch is closed accordingly. You can still use the boat launch but a construction trailer is near by.

May be best to have someone guide you down the ramp.

Jerome

I'm a few hours away but I checked the old cut webcam and it looks like the water might be freezing up again. Can anyone confirm? Hoping to get out for a final hunt tomorrow (Saturday).

Hello Quaid,

There was no ice as of sunset last night but overnight the ice formed along the shoreline ... to about 200 yards out. However most of Coletta Bay was still open this morning and Big Creek was wide open.

The Port Rowan harbour was iced in (including the boat launch) and the ice was fairly extensive along the north shore ... thin but extensive. The temperature is dropping low again tonight so beware.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

I just drove by the Port Rowan harbour ... minimal ice is present. The bay is open for the most part but there is still some ice behind my place ... broke some along the seawall ... less than 1/4 inch thick.

Jerome

Inch to inch and half of ice in most channels. We went out of Pt Rowan this a.m. Someone had broke ice through to open water before us.....thankfully. A few random chunks floating through the bay but open otherwise.

Hello Guys,

This morning Colette Bay was open for the most part but the Port Rowan harbour had some ice ... saw a channel cut through the ice where the boat launch is located.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

This morning there was more ice in Colette Bay than on Monday but Big Creek was still wide open. Port Rowan harbour still had some ice and the boat launch still has ice out to about 30 yards ... apparently thin ice.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Although there is still a thin belt of ice along my seawall extending out about 40 feet the inner bay is basically free of ice as of this morning.

The boat launch at Big Creek and the boat launch at Port Rowan are ice free.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

The entire bay was ice free last night at sundown but this morning there was some thin ice along the shoreline ... just about 60 yards or so.

The Port Rowan marina had some thin ice out to the entrance to the bay but some one had broken through the ice from the boat launch to the bay. The north shore had some thin ice along the shoreline ... just about 20 yards or so.

The temperature is suppose to be fairly mild the next few days but there are not many birds around these days.

Jerome

The Bay is wide open as of today but with cold temperatures coming in tonight not sure if it’ll last long

Hello Quacker Smacke,

The entire bay was still open (since my last post) as of this morning but what are you planning on doing ... going fishing In this weather?

Jerome

PS I do not recall a year where there was no ice at the end of the new waterfowl season extending into the first week of January.

Hello Quacker Smacke,

The entire bay was still open (since my last post) as of this morning but what are you planning on doing ... going fishing In this weather?

Jerome

PS I do not recall a year where there was no ice at the end of the new waterfowl season extending into the first week of January.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks