Ice at Long Point - 1212

Buddy Boy

Hello Guys,

Just an update on my post from the morning of December 22 (see the "Still No Birds" thread).

Although there was little (if any) ice around at the time that I prepared my post the ice did start forming later in the morning along the shoreline and extending out 25 to 50 yards in spots.

The good news is that I saw plenty of birds ... especially divers ... in the Inner Bay. Again not as many as last year but pretty close to last year's average daily sightings for this time of the year.

It was cold last night so there is some more ice forming out there but it is not very thick.

I will try to take a look at the Howey boat launch later this afternoon and report back.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Most of the ice along the shoreline has melted during the day due to the sunshine here.

The boat launches at Howey, Marina Shores and Sand Boy are 100% clear of ice.

The launch at Port Rowan looked clear from the road but I forgot to drive down to look at it specifically.

Hope that helps if you are thinking about coming down.

Jerome

Thank you for your reports Jerome!

Even though I am new to hunting the unit/longpoint, I have been down 2 times in the last month, and am going to try and make it down on the 28th.

However, I do not have a boat (mine is up north), and I will be in a walkout. I am not sure if that is even possible at this time of the year? or if I can break ice to make it work. Anyways, the ice reports are very welcome.

Warren

Hello Badbuzz,

I checked out the "self serve" system at the park yesterday afternoon as I thought of going out today. I think that they got the "self serve" system "right" on their first attempt.

The ice is now 25 to 75 yards out from shore but only where the water was calm last night.

You will have the choice of Blind 40, Blind 41 or Blind 43 as "walkout" options on December 28 unless you want to walk all the way back through the park to get to a "walkout" blind in the east end of the LPWMU as the park entrance gate is now closed.

However two brave "souls" did walk back to one of the "walkout" blinds in the east end of the LPWMU on Saturday ... a very long walk. If you do decide to walk back to the east end of the LPWMU then Blind 6 ("walkout") should be okay as the water is always moving out there.

I will try to keep this "thread" up to date.

Jerome

PS Keep your boat down here next year.

Hello Guys,

I forgot to mention that the boat launch at Big Creek was also 100% ice free yesterday afternoon and it will be the last boat launch to remain open due to the current there.

I know that most of you already know this.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Nearly all of that ice that I had reported yesterday morning was gone by late afternoon.

This morning there was between 50 and 100 yards of ice along the shoreline where the water was calm overnight. However as of 1600 hours this afternoon there was only between 25 and 50 yards of ice remaining.

The boat launches at Port Rowan and Big creek are wide open. I suspect the same conditions at the two marinas as well as at the Howey boat lauch as the water is still moving there.

A very Merry Christmas to all of you.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

We had a mild night (0C) on December 25 to 26 and consequently the rest of the ice from Christmas Day had melted.

That strong east wind yesterday pushed a lot of water into the west end of the Inner Bay ... read my post on the "December 26" thread.

We had a cold night (-4C) last night and most of the Inner Bay (from what I can see) is now snow covered ... that means ice.

Jerome

PS Big Creek and the area near the mouth of Big Creek is still open as of right now.

Hey Buddy Boy,
First off, thanks alot for teh ice reports. Very helpful. Second, Do you know the ice situation at Howey?

Thanks,

Chris

Not sure about howey, but I know Booths Harbour marina is all froze up now
Ice fishing in a couple weeks if the weather holds!

i was out 2day she,s froze up solid 3 inches at blind 7 i think its over 4 this year i managed 2 bust out a 12 by 12 hole but it was a tough go the ducks r on their way 2 mexico i think i,ll meet em there CHEERS!!!!

jonny1duck

Hello Riverduck,

I have spent the last two days digging out from the snow so I am not sure about the ice conditions at the Howey boat launch. However I would imagine that nobody is plowing the road from the gate at the end of Howey Avenue to the boat launch.

Furthermore if there was still any open water at the boat launch it would not be much good as all the blinds are now frozen up from what I can see.

Big Creek is still open with birds but it is now closed to hunting.

However the private launch at Big Creek is open and the water is open to beyond the mouth of Big Creek with some birds hanging around the area. I can see two guys out there hunting now and I heard them shooting earlier this morning ... tough guys!

The Port Rowan harbour and boat launch was pretty well all frozen over yesterday afternoon and the ice extended out several hundred yards.

However a small part of the Inner Bay is still open and holding some birds.

Jerome

PS Anybody know about any open shoreline east of Turkey Point? I think that last year the birds moved out to the north shore of the Outer Bay once the Inner Bay was frozen over.

jonny hunted turkey point yeasterday shot 18 bills by 1, send me a text if you want info on where and what i was using bud, all 10 to 20 yard shots.

Hello Guys,

That open area within the Inner Bay that I had previously mentioned has greatly enlarged over the last two days ... it now looks like a large arear near Booth's Harbour is open east to the Turkey Point marsh and all the way out to EC 10 and beyond. I can also see what looks like "icebergs" further out there.

I saw plenty of birds out there this morning flying over the water as well as rafted up ... hugh rafts of ducks!

The launch at Big Creek is still wide open and the area at the mouth of Big Creek has enlarged over the last two days with some birds along the icy edge. That strong west wind yesterday must have helped open up some more water.

Too cold for me with that wind but for some of you here is a good last "kick at the can" before the season closes.

All the best in 2013.

Jerome

PS Donald ... I am not into "texting" but you can e-mail me at thebuddyboy@hotmail.com with any information. I would like to try hunting out there next year.

Hey BB !

Chances are you won't get much info about hunting Turkey Point but this is what I've been told ;

Yes you can hunt off the beach but your feet must be in the water or else you are within the Prov. Park boundry and that's a No-N0 !

Or You can go down Cedar Drive to the end and past that I believe it is public domain( bluffs and beach) although I have had some(a local protecting his spot ?) tell me it wasn't.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks