I am looking forward to trying out a Chamberlain Release

I agree that the twist you have to make in your line around the chamberlin can weaken your line. Now on lake Erie that is not a huge concern but on lake Huron it is a concern when a 15 or 20 lb salmon is part of the target. I started using them on lake Huron so that small pinks would release easily..which they do, but not worth the risk of losing a large salmon because of the weak spots created by that twist. Watching rod tips closely...you can usually see if a small fish in on and not releasing with the regular clips. I use 15 lb line.

I can't see line being damaged by twisting a loop unless the line is old or the exact same section of line is being put in the release repeatedly. Maybe too light of line with the release set too tight could cause issues, but i have not been able to break 17lb mono during testing and intentionally trying to make the line or release fail.

Chamberlain releases really are top notch and naysayers either have no experience using them or failed to use them correctly. No release comes close to their versatility.

I can't see line being damaged by twisting a loop unless the line is old or the exact same section of line is being put in the release repeatedly. Maybe too light of line with the release set too tight could cause issues, but i have not been able to break 17lb mono during testing and intentionally trying to make the line or release fail.

Chamberlain releases really are top notch and naysayers either have no experience using them or failed to use them correctly. No release comes close to their versatility.

What he said he’s a smart fella

Heres my downrigger, $1.00 each works to 40 f.ow. spend the big bucks and run 2.5 oz they might be $2.00. #proven #wheelbarrow
I’m not equipped with riggers or much experience on using them did buy a jet diver I was going to test out, but thinking the inline weights I may also try hoping this summer and to venture further out in the outer bay.
Good thread here guys
Enjoyed the info shared
?

Thanks for a post with great information, I just ordered a pair as I'm tried of dragging small perch around some days. Now i'll admit 'probably a lot of me being new to downriggers and learning but I see these as making it easier so I'll give them a go. Also gonna use these for my trips to the smaller lakes up north for lakers that average around the 3-5 lb mark instead of the big clips.

Definitely going to set up in driveway as mentioned, now just watch for the mail person to arrive.

Heres my downrigger, $1.00 each works to 40 f.ow. spend the big bucks and run 2.5 oz they might be $2.00. #proven #wheelbarrow
I use them keel weight at times with deep diving Rapala
Also tried a few times the clip on weights
But since I got riggers for lake Ontario salmon fishing I might as well use it for walleye on Erie with ligth rods

Just tried my 2 out this last weekend with mixed results... They seem to release really well, but I find it's a bit of a pain and awkward to lean so far out of the boat and it's difficult to hold your twisted line and snap it together with one hand and with two hands it's just to far of a reach with my 30" bar on the downrigger... had to keep swiveling the rigger to the boat, hook it up, then swivel it back out.
Also started having no end of trouble with my weights... Running 2 pancake #12 and before I had the scotty release off the back fin of the weight and found the weights ran straight and true... could pull a u-turn while trolling without issue, but with the Chamberlain's getting mounted inline with the weight, the pull from the rod seems to have effected how the weights track and had about a dozen tangles between the lines on both riggers and actually got the two balls looped together 2 times (Very scary to try to fix!) May need to get some new weights as the pancakes really didn't like being on their own!
Anyone else have similar issues?

Just tried my 2 out this last weekend with mixed results... They seem to release really well, but I find it's a bit of a pain and awkward to lean so far out of the boat and it's difficult to hold your twisted line and snap it together with one hand and with two hands it's just to far of a reach with my 30" bar on the downrigger... had to keep swiveling the rigger to the boat, hook it up, then swivel it back out.
Also started having no end of trouble with my weights... Running 2 pancake #12 and before I had the scotty release off the back fin of the weight and found the weights ran straight and true... could pull a u-turn while trolling without issue, but with the Chamberlain's getting mounted inline with the weight, the pull from the rod seems to have effected how the weights track and had about a dozen tangles between the lines on both riggers and actually got the two balls looped together 2 times (Very scary to try to fix!) May need to get some new weights as the pancakes really didn't like being on their own!
If you put a slight bend in the back fin you can have the rigger balls pull away from each other.

My current boat has a 72" beam and with short boom riggers I've had zero issues with tangles running 7.5lb weights off the chamberlains. I'd definitely be examining my cannon balls if I had issues.

Josh

No but that's a valid concern, I would switch to cannonball weights rather than pancake.

As for having issues attaching the line, it just takes some practice.

If you put a slight bend in the back fin you can have the rigger balls pull away from each other.

If I understand what he's saying, the pull from the rod is making the weights run very sideways. I don't think adjusting the fin would work.

Red, I set mine up in the driveway. Rig as you normally would then create a loop in your fishing line and pull on it with fish scale. I set mine to release at about a 2 lb pull. This releases even on perch. I also put a paint line next to fish release line knob so I can make small adjustments. Love these things.

Tight lines. Rick

Here's what I suggest. Set them super light in the boat. Then attach your lure and drop it in the water. If the pull from the lure triggers the release, tighten slightly. Repeat until your release is set to just barely hold the lure pull. Now you've got a setup that releases with like 0.5lbs.

I run pancake weights, 1 rigger for lures, the other for my Fishhawk.

Never had a problem with a rigger cable tangle.

Check your weights beside the boat under power and see how they track and if need be, swap the sides.

Mine are straight, I never wanted to put a bend in them.

If you think the rod pull is changing the track, make sure the rod tip is on the outside pointed away from the boat, not inside the rigger pulling it towards the centre.

This is how mine is set up

Never an issue so far. The blue thing is just a Scotty snubber.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks