I am looking forward to trying out a Chamberlain Release

Red Hering

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I just bought one of these chamberlain release for my downrigger this morning from my local tackle store (Thank-You—Steve!!) ???:) and I am very curious on how much better they are from what I have been using over the years,and from what I have been reading and hearing from other anglers that have been using these chamberlain releases.I am hoping to use this “new to me” downrigger release next week on lake erie or even on lake huron depending on the weather conditions if the winds are not too nasty for boating!! I will report back as soon as I can on my day of fishing,once I get a chance to use it. Tight lines & fish ON!! o_O? ??o_O?:)

Attachments

• D4C997B3-CA36-4801-96DD-423EDA2BAA1D.jpeg
    D4C997B3-CA36-4801-96DD-423EDA2BAA1D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
Red, I set mine up in the driveway. Rig as you normally would then create a loop in your fishing line and pull on it with fish scale. I set mine to release at about a 2 lb pull. This releases even on perch. I also put a paint line next to fish release line knob so I can make small adjustments. Love these things.

Tight lines. Rick

Just curious where you purchased these?. I would like to get a set. I have looked at my local tackle shops but have not seen them available. The reviews are good. Towing around fish for hours off a cannon ball with pinch clip is not ideal. A few years back we pulled a rigger to find a 16" rainbow on the end of the line. He must have been there for hours, dead as a door nail when pulled in. Certainly a fish that I would have liked to put back.

Red, I set mine up in the driveway. Rig as you normally would then create a loop in your fishing line and pull on it with fish scale. I set mine to release at about a 2 lb pull. This releases even on perch. I also put a paint line next to fish release line knob so I can make small adjustments. Love these things.

Tight lines. Rick
Great tip’s @Richardscott999 and thanks!! ? I am so looking forward to using my chamberlain release next week if the lake conditions are good to do some fishing.????:)

Red you won't be disappointed with them. Fisher Price I got mine from Steve in Lambeth and I'm guessing that's where Red got his as he mentioned "thanks Steve"

I like the feedback on these releases but I worry using my 15 and 16lb weights on them.
A good point @rockin-steelhead and as of now I have never used a cannonball over 10 lbs. and I could see it perhaps being a problem using heavier cannonballs of 15 and 16 lbs. The release doesn’t look like that it is “heavy duty” to take on a lot of weight.On the package,it doesn’t say anywhere on what weight of cannonball is safe to use.The chamberlain release website is: www.downriggerrelease.com for anyone who needs more information on the chamberlain release.

Last edited:
Red you won't be disappointed with them. Fisher Price I got mine from Steve in Lambeth and I'm guessing that's where Red got his as he mentioned "thanks Steve"
Yes,that is where I bought mine this morning.Steve had 3 left after I bought mine for $25.99 plus taxes.

Just curious where you purchased these?. I would like to get a set. I have looked at my local tackle shops but have not seen them available. The reviews are good. Towing around fish for hours off a cannon ball with pinch clip is not ideal. A few years back we pulled a rigger to find a 16" rainbow on the end of the line. He must have been there for hours, dead as a door nail when pulled in. Certainly a fish that I would have liked to put back.
@FisherPrice I purchased mine at Lambeth Rod & Tackle this morning,and there was another fellow ahead of me you also bought one.There were 3 left after I purchased mine for $25.99 plus taxes.Angling Outfitters in Woodstock also sells them,but Steve is only 14 kilometres from my house,which made it easier for me to buy one,and good luck on your future fishing trip’s and no more towing a fish around for hour’s with this chamberlain release. ;) A couple of photo’s and information of the chamberlain release.I hope this helps & tight lines!! ? ???:)

Attachments

• D315E913-0118-4190-9819-955D19EC95A7.jpeg
    D315E913-0118-4190-9819-955D19EC95A7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 1882CD58-6A9B-4AAD-BBFE-34825F872505.jpeg
    1882CD58-6A9B-4AAD-BBFE-34825F872505.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
A good point @rockin-steelhead and as of now I have never used a cannonball over 10 lbs. and I could see it perhaps being a problem using heavier cannonballs of 15 and 16 lbs. The release doesn’t look like that it is “heavy duty” to take on a lot of weight.On the package,it doesn’t say anywhere on what weight of cannonball is safe to use.The chamberlain release website is: www.downriggerrelease.com for more information on their product.
I use mine with 15lb sharks for the last few years without any problems

I ran them a couple years.. I found the twists in the line you have to make too attach to the release created a weak point in the line and. I had several break offs there.. maybe I was using too light of line, but I went back to my scottys.. if I put the downriggerS on the boat this year I may give them a try again.

I ran them a couple years.. I found the twists in the line you have to make too attach to the release created a weak point in the line and. I had several break offs there.. maybe I was using too light of line, but I went back to my scottys.. if I put the downriggerS on the boat this year I may give them a try again.
@Chipper1 Thanks for the heads up,and I usually use 10 or 12 lb. monofilament line and that should be strong enough for no line breakage for the line in the weak point area of the clip which you had described.Plus,whenever a lure or the length of line is changed and where it is attached to the clip,it becomes a different area on the line,which will help not to create a weak spot,by as if the line was continuously used in the same area of the fishing line. ????:)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks