• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 400
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 392
Good job, the smiles say it all.
Hunt with your kids,,, not for them.

I was tremendously blessed today! First deer with a bow! Happened way to fast (normally does) but about 30 sec from when I first seen her till she pilled. Hardley remember what happened! Lol she wouldn't turn broadside. In the back. Out her front ribs. Grazed her tummy and through the lungs. Deer shot at 7 am. Layed her in the freezer at 3 pm. Twas a great day! 20191116_071805.jpg20191116_072218.jpgIMG-20191116-WA0041.jpgIMG-20191116-WA0046.jpg

I'm not a hunter so my question is from lack of knowledge.

There is no need or purpose to hang the carcass for any duration?

Ask 50 people and you will get 60 different opinions.
Venison has no fat marbling..fat on game animals is on the outside of the muscle. Domestic animals like beef are bred to end up with fat marbling. You age meat to get the fat and connective tissue to start to break down..makes the meat more tender. Venison doesn't act the same with regard to tissue breakdown with the fat, but hanging does allow for muscle tissue to relax and connective tissues/collagen will start to break down--its to do with enzymes having a chance to do their job. You should allow at least 24 hrs to let the effects of rigor mortis dissipate..or the meat will be tough.
So, I like a couple days right up to a week IF THE TEMPS ARE RIGHT...above freezing but cool enough so the meat doesn't spoil. I understand around 40 F is ideal. What I have found is if hung too long the meat starts to dry out. I've read you can debone and age the meat in a fridge if you have the room..sounds like a good idea. I've also been told by a butcher that meat in the average home freezer will age as the temps while below freezing arn't cold enough to stop some of the aging process. I agree as the best venison Ive had was stuff after 6 months in the freezer.
And thats my opinion # 61

I always hung my deer or moose to get tender steaks or roasts an average of 3-4 days as it doesn't need as much aging or stretching time as domestic animals require. That way the excess moisture has a chance to dry up but not dry out the meat as it would hanging for 7-10 days. If I was going to get sausage or pepperoni made using the whole deer which I done a lot then I would just have it ground without hanging it at all. I once had an entire moose mixed with 30% pork made into pepperoni. Everybody thought it was the best pepperoni they ever tasted. I think almost everybody in the Ford Plant had some of that. I can almost taste it now... man I wished I still hunted. :) Enjoy your deer @Justhunt!??

For myself previously I always quarted the day of the shoot. And soak in a vinegar/water bath for 24hr. Then butcher. Apparently it takes the game out of the meat. This year I didn't do that. So we'll see how that goes. I have never hung any of my meat. Beef or venison.

With the weather conditions that we have in Ontario in first of November sometimes you have no place to hang a deer to cool down I like to let it hang at least one day and then process it
My daughter and I process the deer ourselves

nice Doe Minnownite

I butchered deer #1 yesterday after hanging for 5 days. It was ready, hadn't dried out.
I was in Ohio hunting one year and the guys there would skin/quarter the deer and put them in salted ice water for 24 hrs, then butcher after that. The meat was excellent.

Nice Doe I never seem to get that close. If your going to hang it leave the skin on. That stops it drying out. I never hang for long cause I don't have a meat locker that can control the temps. I also butcher myself so I need to get it done . Lots Youtube videos out there. Some even helpful.

I was tremendously blessed today! First deer with a bow! Happened way to fast (normally does) but about 30 sec from when I first seen her till she pilled. Hardley remember what happened! Lol she wouldn't turn broadside. In the back. Out her front ribs. Grazed her tummy and through the lungs. Deer shot at 7 am. Layed her in the freezer at 3 pm. Twas a great day! View attachment 19259View attachment 19260View attachment 19261View attachment 19262

Nice job!

But, I highly recommend avoiding taking such low percentage and high risk shots in the future. I don't think you realize how lucky you were to kill that deer with that shot.

Anyone else notice the lack of fat? Usually by November they have a nice layer built up.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks