Hunting Northern Ontario WMU 01

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Anyone on here ever hunt way up in WMU 01?
if so, mind telling me how it was and any other details you care to share.

Hunted 1C in the past as well . It was fly in only missed a cow that year but was hot that week and not much moving. Can say I’ve never been so sick of catching fish . I figured in 9 days I caught over 500 pickerel and pike . Filed barbs off hooks to remove them faster

Hunted 1C in the past as well . It was fly in only missed a cow that year but was hot that week and not much moving. Can say I’ve never been so sick of catching fish . I figured in 9 days I caught over 500 pickerel and pike . Filed barbs off hooks to remove them faster
Thank you for the response.
did you hire a float plane to get you way up there into the unit
Or was it part of the deal with an outfitter?
if you don’t mind me asking.

Thank you for the response.
did you hire a float plane to get you way up there into the unit
Or was it part of the deal with an outfitter?
if you don’t mind me asking.
We used snake falls airways and they supplied cabin but we had our own tags . Rob no longer has outposts but I’m sure he could hook you up . We flew 140 mikes north west of red lake and one day traveled into Manitoba .its boats only .was amazing. I saw one plane in 9 days fly over .thats it no other people

Hey Derkd...if your looking for a great wilderness experience and excellent pristine landscape with ontario residency then head up past..and where the roads end in northern ontario..you can fly out of cochrane or nakina and or armstrong outposts and hunt the back lakes by canoe or boat..some hunt camps offer bull tag and maybe some more..

Hey folks if your goal is filling a tag and harvesting a bull moose to your expectations.. take good optics must have binoculars.. go by yourself and hire a guide.. the country of Canada west to alberta is some of the best alfalfa fed quality game meat..just like there beef.. hey make a trip east to NFLD.. has plenty of oppurtunity ..post rut Nov to Dec.. ..I been there and done all that..and it is not what you think it is ...by the sounds of the Ontario moose draw and after a few or maybe several seasons some will realize southern ontario moose hunters crumple up another wasted bull tag..not me I went on a short and sweet big game bonanza...lots of tags filled and tons of game meat..ya I had to buy another chest freezer..and give alot out to fellow hunters and posting free game meat to 68 members..ya alot went out the door..lol ... the only adrenaline rush I get now is hunting black bear..and it is great here in northern ontario..760 lb black bear taken just down road from my cabin I rent every spring...for me bear are the best game and top predator to hunt in my books..the meat is sweet and you wont forget the next giant you come upon..and the ones by suprise..thats still a wow to the stomach..I am not kidding..

not bragging ..I am a rock solid rifle shooter...and I know I have to be..I trained myself that I got alot on the line when the kill shot comes.. I know i have to make the shot..that comes with plenty of rounds in the hundreds at the gun range...when you get the chance dry fire your rifle at your animal just try it and learn..I did that by mistake once and I learned how solid I was..now that was a learning experience I went on to perfect my shooting on big game..ya cranking up to 9 power and practiced is much as I can..250 yds is the minimum for northern ontario..good luck getting a really good guide if you cant shoot..I dont need to take my spent targets my longest 480 yds you need a precise range finder and a magnum rifle..my load nosler accubond 3200 fps MV..I had to shoot and kill 350 yds 2x and 370 yds once..my hunt camp is me and my guide ONLY ...I don't want or need any other hunters when i hunt big game even deer no way...its my tag and my shot and my meat and my trophy..thats the only way...ya we have a few hunters here that know..and I am not filling someone elses tag either... and all the hunting I never did fill anybody else

I learned and then never wanted or needed another hunter to fill my tag..and all the game meat and horns & hides come home with me..the risk of another hunter filling my tag would be a castistrophic nightmare..no way...lol.. ya I made sure it didn't happen..I can say every duck and or a rabbit was my harvest and there were hundreds..all harvested by me..and the risk of a hunting accident goes down 10 fold...I feel safer and it is so much more enjoyable...
I didn't want to risk drivers either ..my record is 2 of my longest trips back home was 41 hours drive straight home from debolt alberta with 360 lbs of alfalfa fed elk...and my cargo ferry ride off the rock late season 3X 1caribou and 2 bull moose and over 100 lbs of cod fillet..what an incredible experience with meat & antlers and fish straight home coming home..
and spring bear harvest in northern quebec with pristine brook trout waters & pickeral lakes.. very memorable fishin and delicious fillets buy a licence..and think smarter not harder...a deer & wolf hunt was great in NW ontario staying on first nations land..some of my best guides were first nations.. absolutely ..and off the rock right from day one you dont go home without your moose...

start shooting lots of expensive quality ammo and become a long range sharp shooter..then find yourself a tag and a guide and enjoy a good hunt..lots of stories of rookies gettin buck fever and fail to make the shot.. its so true and thats the biggest mistake...i hope this story helps the new hunters..if your going to hunt go all in..feel free to message me if you want any info...I can also give you my best stock buys for divendends ya right now ..getting paid to sit and wait is pretty dam good..have yourself a good stiff drink I am..well your waiting think about an enjoyable hunting and fishing experience with tons of oppurtunity..ya the american sportsman that comes over with there dollar is tied right up...so go for it boyz..

Last edited:
@mick
Thanks for the info on where to fly out of. Appreciate it
Yah would love to see more of the Province
Need to do these things while I’m still young.
and I guess everyone’s different I don’t mind hunting with friends and sharing tags And the work and the meat. For me it’s the whole experience that I treasure more than anything.
if my friend shoots a bull and wants the head on his wall even tho it’s my tag. This does not bother me. Just like on the boat we all split the meat at the end of the trip.

the people I hunt with I hope to be friends with until we die

atikokan moose and start nibblin on U>S. dollars..

ya Derkd I have shared lots at hunt and fish camps..

Yes do it while your young..I suggest you also look at black bear hunting..I started in quebec spring black bear hunting over bait..I can almost promise you a rush when a bear comes in..and when you shoot your first one..thats one you will never forget...

some camps were very reasonable when i went..I took an outboard motor and the camp gave me a boat to use for fishin..so no cost for a boat for the week
In Ontario there is lots of oppurtunity to hunt black bear...in the spring and in the fall..the more you spend time in the north hunting and fishing the more you will learn..do it while your young..location needs well planning..most french canadians in the north are outdoorsmen..and they can be good friends to have...when your looking..find yourself a butcher in the area that will cut up your bear & moose..I have one he also hunts and fishes and owns the local butcher shop..like I mentioned it takes good planning where you go..even down to south america..

@mick I’ve been giving spring black bear hunting some thought. I look forward to that rush one day soon!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks