Hunting and boating alone

Duckula

Just taking an un-scientific poll here cause( due to various factors ) I might be hunting alone later next month . I was just wondering how many hunt and boat alone? I would be hunting the unit as venturing out to LR or BR would be out of the question.

Thanks for your input
Jeff.

I don't think twice about hunting alone at LP but I do take safety precautions. I also make sure I am aware of the weather forecast and especially the wind.

I always wear a PFD when running, I keep multiple waterproof lights in a dry box, a cell phone in a zip lock, a waterproof VHF radio, an emergency locator beacon (SPOT 2), a compass and GPS on board and I make sure the motor is running well and I have a full tank of gas. I also have spare boat plugs, spark plugs, prop etc and tools to change them. My boat has a bilge pump and a hand pump in it and is rigged with running lights and anchor lights. I make sure I have one or more knives on board to cut decoy line or anything else that is wrapped in the prop or hub. It might seem like overkill until the day you need it.

I should have added that I will run to Little Rice or Big Rice if the weather is right but I am selective on the days to hunt alone out there. Often they are not the best days for ducks. LOL

I probably hunt 50% of the time by myself. I work in a career which requires me to be considerably more social than I naturally am. When I have the chance I enjoy a day or part of one on my own. I am in my 50's so I am not a kid anymore but I am careful. Like Tinboater I have all the safety equipment a good boat and dependable motor.

The only additional advice I can give is when you are on your own SLOW DOWN and DON'T RUSH. Accidents happen when you don't heed this. The only time I ever got in trouble that really scared me was an evening the water went out and I tried to rush to get in before dark. When I look back on it I had lots of warm dry cloths and a cell phone. I could have called my wife and the Unit and said I was just going to stay put until the water came back. I would have been a few hours late but in no danger, because I tried to walk the boat in through the mud I ended up soaked in sweat and exhausted on a very cold night. It ended up fine but could have been dangerous.

I too have enjoyed my hunts alone at times. One thing you learn when out alone -don't put out too many decoys !! It is so easy to throw decoy after decoy out when setting up then as luck would have it either it starts raining and/or the wind picks up making decoy pick-up difficult. Make sure your boat is anchored in someway if you are in the water picking up as a big gust of wind could leave you boatless. As Singlemalt says take your time if you do go down LR or BR remember there is no hurry to get back to check out so make sure you are safe and things secured and lights ,GPS, etc., are in easy reach and ALWAYS have running lights for your boat. I don't know how many times I have crossed other boats out there with no lights or maybe just a flashlight .Hunting down that way can be enjoyable by yourself just remember to always to err on the safe side

Hello Dukula,

I have hunted the Long Point WMU from 1978 to 1986 and from 2004 to 2012 always alone for several reasons and without any trouble ... well ... except for one little "scare" in 1986 that I survived.

I often just take a "walk in" blind but I have been to every blind within the WMU with my kayak ... picking my days to do so.

I have never been out hunting in Big Rice Bay or Little Rice Bay ... maybe next year with my Ocean 15 duck boat as it is "unsinckable" and I can "button" it up pretty tight in a storm.

I agree with the previous advice given by others.

Jerome

Hey Buddy Boy are you using that beautiful boat yet ? If you need a hand with using it let us know . That boat was made to be used lots!

I have hunted the point since 1965 off ,and on. Used to hunt Little Rice ,and the unit ,but now only the unit. My mentors, and hunting partners are gone (you have to have a mentor to start ) so I hunt the unit by myself 90% of the time.I actually really enjoy hunting by myself, but find that with the aging process I have become more concerned about my safety ,than shooting ducks.I only hunt afternoons, and returning in the dark doesn't seem as much fun as it used to .I look back on some of the things I did in my younger days ,and find it hard to believe that I am still here (ignorance is bliss ). The Bay is a wonderful place most days ,but it can change in a heartbeat ,and scare the living s**t out of you. Singlemalts post struck a cord with me because I have had some similar experiences (with water going out ,as well as coming up faster than you can believe )I guess what I am trying to say is that as I have aged (63 ) I am much more cautious to the point that I am not putting my boat in the water this year (low water levels ), just going to do a few walk outs.A couple of years ago the water went out on me, and I did just like singlemalt ,overdoing it to a point where it is almost panic ,and for no real good reason because I was safe ,but you just want to get back to the dock. The worst I remember was back in the late sixties when we were out in Little Rice bay and the water kept going higher. We were convinced that it had to go down ,but gave up when we were standing on the seat of the hide( ducks flying like crazy but couldn't shoot any since retrieval was impossible ) and had to wrap a belt around my waders and swim to the boat so we could get home. And if there is one absolute in all of this ,like Sonnyuphi noted ,why did I put so many dekes out ! Be carefull out there guys !

I am really grateful for the information and of course the tips on hunting and boating alone. I am 52 and like everyone I am concerned about safety. I have made a few mistakes on the bay through my own ignorance and excitement over just getting out there and hunting. The lessons learned over the course of hunting the point for over 13 years will always be part of me. Due to the untimely death of hunting buddies, job responsibilities I am forced to go it alone this year but I am not going to sit around and think about should I go or not. I am going out hunting but definitely with safety and knowledge in mind. Thanks again for all of the valuable information everyone. I will certainly put it to good use.

Jeff.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks