Off Topic Humminbird Helix 10 installation in a Legend 18 boat

vmuravin

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi All,

So my senior fishing buddy went to Bass Pro at 7 am (door opened at 6 am) on Black Friday. By that time, all Lowrance Elite 9 Ti units they had in the store (steal-priced at $749.97 instead of something like 1600-1700 bucks) were sold out. So I may not inherit his old Lowrance stuff after all, which he had wanted to replace. On top of that, I have sold my Helix 7 G1, so technically I am fish-finder-less. I am ok because I wanted more powerful unit and I sold Helix 7 for roughly the same $$$ I had bought it.

Anyhow, this weekend I did something stupid such as placing an online order late evening from SAIL for Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI G2N because it was roughly half price. I also thought it would be nice to stick with Humminbird since I got very handy with Helix and also, I have a Terrova on the boat, compatibility...

I had no time to ask anyone anything what I am about to ask so I thought I will order it and worst-case I will return it.

Sorry if my questions may be dumb but here I go: does anyone here have a Legend 18 or 20 (X/XTR/Xcalibur/etc) with Helix 10 or even 12? Is there enough space to mount Helix 10 on the right of the console? The picture below shows my old Helix 7 on the corresponding RAM mount. I checked the RAM mount dimensions for Helix 10, which is bigger and heavier and the ball mount diameter is exactly matching the width of that carpeted area where the old Helix was, i.e. it would fit exactly. But what about the unit itself? Spec-wise, Helix 10 is 3" longer, 2" wider, 0.5" thicker. Does Helix 10 "fit" in that space comfortably without issues? Does it not create the feeling like there is a TV on the boat? Can you share a pic (private msg ok too) as to how it looks?

Thank you very much!

1575402930233.png

i have a helix 9 in my lund impact...similar location. me thinks you may have to just swap out to a different ram mount that will take it further inward and forward at the same time (longer arm).. mine uses a 1.5" ball

wish i had pics i could share for reference

Thanks @Outdoors905 . I do have a different RAM mount already, just waiting for the unit to arrive. It is just that I have a feeling that the area is limited. I did call Massel's Marine, where I service the motor, and they basically said the same thing, i.e. yes, they did install a few Helix 10, and yes, it sits ok, but it is a bit tight given the area between the console and the windshield. Hopefully it should be ok, I am just being nervous that once I open the box, I am not sure I can return the Helix 10... Thanks again.

Your console seems (at least visually) to have more space for Helix than mine on the right side. I guess every boat maker has their layout... Oh well, I will go for it. The deal for Helix 10 was really worth it, much better $$$-wise than seeing all these 1199 units on kijiji with 1500+ price tag and very inflexible sellers. Happy fishing. Cheers.

I had a similar concern when I upgraded to Helix 9. I went with the swivel ram mount as I was concerned about the ball mounts loosening on Erie. This one works fantastic and allows me to move around the ff to different positions for either walleye fishing when facing backwards or turning it 180 when I am up front. Not a cheap mount but very sturdy.

Attachments

• B2C81412-BA9F-4EDC-B216-2BDC5BE98EDE.jpeg
    B2C81412-BA9F-4EDC-B216-2BDC5BE98EDE.jpeg
    867.6 KB · Views: 44
Interesting... I will look into this option as well. Thank you.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks