how much chain for anchor

skinny

i have a 16 ft starcraft tiller and the anchor doesn't always grab so i want to ad the chain to it just no clue to what I need

Heavy chain is expensive. Some years back, I got a small bleach bottle, cut off the plastic at the top of the straight sides, and filled it with cement, imbedding a 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch U bolt with nuts and washers on it to keep it in the cement so it will never get pulled out.
I added this about 3 feet above the anchor with a simple loop in the rope. Even on my 20 1/2 foot cuddy, it really digs in and holds the anchor down. No extra fastening points/knots, like would happen by adding in the chain. (fewer knots is stronger)

Trim the plastic to the top edge of the cement, so as not to ever cut your rope. (or just fill to top with cement. When hard, just keep on the plastic. (no scratching on your hull)

Holds as well, or better in my opinion than chain, costs almost nothing.

Good fishing.

BillO
London, Ont

4 feet at least, 5 or 6 would be better. Definitley saves the stress in a pack of boats with 2 footers.
Got my length at Proctor Marine in Simcoe

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks