How Do You Catch Smelt?

trky chsr

Went out from St Williams today and while the perch were pretty much absent there was an abundance of smelt. Just had to jig a silver spoon a bit and a dozen or so nice smelt would show up. I just couldn't seem to hook the little buggers. I put on a tiny jig and a tiny piece of minnow but they would just take a swipe and leave. Any tips you can give to get them to bite or a particular bait?

trky chsr the heli jigs I use are a small tear drop style with a small blade on top. I think ht makes them I ordered them on line a few years ago

My brother once insisted on cutting a big hole approx 12 inch or so an hour later he steps in it and when he pulled his foot out fast his boot came off he spent the next hour trying to snag it off the bottom he eventually did and we got it dried out enough for the trip to shore

Just cut a bigger hole :rolleyes:. TC
:jawdrop: Ahh..ha... see what happens. :oops::giggle:
My brother once insisted on cutting a big hole approx 12 inch or so an hour later he steps in it and when he pulled his foot out fast his boot came off he spent the next hour trying to snag it off the bottom he eventually did and we got it dried out enough for the trip to shore

Years ago I was frustrated all day watching my tipup bounce but I could not hook up. This went on fot HOURS. Finally I went over to another hut where an older guy had about 25 really nice smelt in a bucket and he showed me that he was catching them with a chunk of red wool that he cut off his scarf. He would lower the wool down and when he felt a small tug, he would pull up line SLOWLY and scoop the smelt out of the hole with about a 5 inch minnow net. He gave me a hunk if the fringe of his scarf and I was off to the races. An hour later I was heading home with a nice meal of smelt and a new trick

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks