How bout a change?

can't miss

I've always been, not against, but not really a advocate of black powder " Only" hunt zones? To be clear, done it for yrs, early 80's. Buddy's are hard core, so along I follow?
But why not powder or shot gun?
Close to same range, SG gives second shot, less lost game, finishing shot ect? Back in the early yrs of BP, always told to shut up, the tag lottery would fill up if shot guns too, and may not get a tag?
Have asked the MNR same question over the yrs, most common answer is that is what the land owner's want? I don't agree, coming from the rural, most want less crop damage and no hassles. They're not worried if it was BP or SG?
Just wondered what others think?

I hunt 90B so I never gave it much thought but now that you ask it doesn't make sense at all. Most of our kills are done with a single shot but sometimes having that extra shot means a quicker kill and no loss of game. Maybe if you get enough support from guys in your area you could take it to the MNR ?

There is a group that lobbies hard to maintain the muzzleloader-only season in 92. They had it declared a "heritage hunt" by a politician back in the day and there's a plaque in the MNR office in Aylmer.

Personally, I don't see how dropping a deer at 200 yards with a modern inline muzzleloader is relevant to our "heritage", but I'm in no hurry to change the season. I'm of the opinion that it does lower competition coming in from Kent and Essex counties where the deer numbers are lower, as guys would rather just go somewhere they can hunt with a shotgun as most own them. I also hunt close to the line and often here the "BLAMBLAMBLAM" coming from the shotgun side of the line... sounds like guys are in a duck blind but instead they are just emptying the barrel at a deer. I think the muzzleloader makes folk try to make their shot count more and results in less stray lead flying around, which is safer.

I'm not pretending that putting a muzzleloader in someone's hand makes them a better hunter, but you can't deny that it makes you choose when to pull the trigger carefully.

Just my opinions.

Some of us muzzleloader guys have a lot of money invested in guns and scopes.We do not want shot gunners shooting up the county side and flock shooting deer with shot.If you want to hunt 92 bring a muzzleloader.92 is only one area many other places to hunt go there.Tired of the discussion it is what it is.Sorry if I offend anyone.

Binfishn, not sure I follow what your saying? Say your hunting one concession BP and another group hunting the next concession is hunting BP or shot gun, how does that effect your hunt?
Nobody is saying you can't use your expensive BP's, fill your boots. But if I want to shoot SG on a family farm, who are you to say I can't?
Sure sounds like the early 80's? keep it a BP wmu or you might not get a tag theory?
We hunt 3 property's in 92, original group was 4 guys from Essex, couple from St.T, Pt Stanley area. Age and time happens, now old as dirt guys are thinning, replaced by family and friends from everywhere.
Would also add, SG also helps youth hunters, a SG is a multi species arm, ducks, turkeys, deer, most youth can't afford a special arm for a one week hunt?
You mention flock shooting, I'm not clear on that term, but if you mean party hunting, majority of 2'nd and 3'rd season hunt groups in 92 seem to be established camps using up un-used tags from their northern hunts. BP or not, they drive deer, big time. We may agree here, I totally disagree with party hunts, but I've beaten that horse on here, and no need to say more.
92 is not special, the lottery is open to all, it's not a locals only hunt?

Not going to get into a argument with you.I am going to just say if you want to hunt 92 apply get a tag and bring your muzzleloader.Will will love to have you.Muzzleloaders do not have to be expensive to shoot well.As for the flock shooting it means if there were say multiple deer in front of you and not using a slug say double o buck shot you point and shoot putting a pellet perhaps in multiple deer or firing all your three slugs at running deer not knowing which deer you hit.This might not apply to you but there is a lot of bad actors out there,and I am sure you no have seen a few of them around your property.As I said earlier it is what it is I did not make the rules.A muzzleloader teaches patience and accuracy in your shot.Done..Good luck with your own hunt with the area you choose....Binfishn.

Binfishn, I do hunt 92 and have for decades, with ML. just not a fan the firearm, we'll have to agree to disagree on SG and/or BP.
Never heard of this flock shooting, and that is very wrong. Good luck this yr, keep your powder dry,

BN, hunted 92, had a riot, used the old smoke pole, "Again"? Took a great big bodied 6 on tues and a 10 on Sat. Probably second biggest ever for me? I need no advise on how it teaches aim small, miss small, done it since beginning of deer hunts in S Ont. Our group left 2 tag's unfilled for tag soup, paper is hard to swallow?
My opinion, the 92 special arm hunt started back in the early 80's, local CO was a supporter,and it just never changed, more importantly, it kept out other's from shooting your deer. It will change, give it time, and let's be clear, I'm totally against the orange army hunts.
Just for discussion, 2 of our group from TO, one from Kitch? Just saying, end of day result, meat pole would have been the same,SG or powder?

Bow hunters only get one shot
I shoot a ML in a shotgun area
Many areas have a ML only week
Many areas only get one controlled week
Different areas have different seasons
Variety is the spice of life

I am going to agree here with binfishn
I hunt 92A..have been since 1992. Used to hunt rifle up in 82, shotgun in 84.
Our 92 hunt is quiet, no big gangs. We hunt relatively undisturbed deer, and the potential for a trophy animal is high (if thats what you're after). Its a one shot one kill hunt vs the shooting gallery that can happen with big gangs pushing bush and emptying shotguns at running deer. Been there, done that. Im not criticizing anyone for hunting that way, its just not my idea of deer hunting anymore.
I black powder hunt exactly like I bowhunt..just a bit larger range. Treestands mostly..quiet, unhurried deer. Just enjoying the peace and quiet of Dec. Always tag our deer.
I guess it just follows age...did the fast paced hard charging bush driving hunts. I slowed down, my hunt slowed down. The only difference is..I see more deer now;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks