hook size for trout

angler

Reading these posts makes me want to go drown some dew worms this weekend.
However , I must be slowing down because I am getting a lot more deep hook sets than ever before.
It is sort of an academic question because I will be leaving the creek fish alone pretty soon ,partly because I think they get very stressed in the summer.
The question is should I use very thin hooks and leave them in the fish or larger hooks hoping the hook will stay up in their mouth. I generally use pretty large hooks for this very reason.
Also a guide in Florida said he was using special hooks which dissolve very quickly. Seems like a load to me unless the salt water helps the dissolving. Also the sea fish are larger and stronger.
Any thoughts?

Go barbless and use a small hook disgorger...although if your gut hooking them they might as well go in the frying pan. If your worried that a large percentage of your catch is being harmed then a change in technique could be a wise option too...

Josh

I'm with josh small barbless maybe hold line in your hand so you can feel bite fast to avoid them swallowing your hooks.

Size 8 Raven Sedge fine wire hooks for trout. Handles worms, roe bags and small chunks of skein when needed.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks