Hog's Back

Castaway88

Wasting away the winter months until opening day I was thinking about my early fishing experiences.

When I was young my grandfather used to take me out fishing to a place he referred to as "Hog's Back" to fish for bass and perch. It was some of the best fishing times I've ever had. It was years later that I realized it's actually called Tecumseh Reef just out from Port Maitland.

Very few people I've asked have heard of the name Hog's Back. Anyone here ever used that name?

Absolutely, and still known as such by a lot of the Port Maitland people. Some fair sized ships met their end on it back in the days of early navigation. Some Early sailing charts of the Lake had it named too.

The Hogs Back is the first point (Grant Pt.) you come to west of Maitland.
This is a very old chart I inherited from a old commercial fisherman from the early 70's
The Chart is dated early 60's
The depths are in feet. I still have the whole east Erie chart, this is one scanned piece of the chart.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks