Heritage Day?

Amarok

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Given this year's circumstances, I am not sure if anything is happening for heritage day. My 15 year old son loves hunting and I would like him to have the opportunity to experience Long Point. I have found applications for past years but nothing for this year. I have not hunted the bay so this looks like the perfect opportunity for him to learn from someone who knows the area. Any info is appreciated. I would love to surprise him with this opportunity. Thanks in advance.

The Unit is not holding a heritage day hunt according to the recent newsletter
Go onto Facebook and look up Long Point Waterfowl Unit for up to date info, or see below

Hello Waterfowlers,

In lieu of a 2021 newsletter, please find important dates in this email. As COVID restrictions have persisted through most of 2021, the executive members of the Long Point Waterfowlers' Association have not met as we typically do in preparation of an Annual General Meeting or a Summer Newsletter; however, I am able to provide you with the following information:

First and foremost, a huge thank-you to Michael "Bird" Starling and his crew of local waterfowlers for spear-heading and completing most of the blind repair work that is required after every winter!

Again, in 2021, the Long Point Waterfowlers' Association will not be holding a Heritage Day/Youth hunt at the Waterfowl Unit.

Camo/Decoration Day is scheduled for September 11 at 8:00 AM - rain or shine!

Trailer Move-In starts on September 17 at 7:00 AM - please pay and obtain the necessary permits at the Unit Office upon entry to the Park on this day.

Heritage Day is September 18. Although the Waterfowlers' Association is not hosting a youth hunt, the Unit has typically been open for youth to hunt from half-an-hour before sun-rise to noon - if you are interested in participating in this hunt, please discuss further with the Park or Unit staff.

Opening Day is September 25.

Trailer Move-Out Day is typically around December 19th - I have not been able to confirm this date with Park Staff, but be prepared to remove your trailer from the Park on or before this date.

Lake Erie water-levels have receded approximately 4 feet from their 2019 record high, but remain approximately 3.5 feet above their historical average. During this year's blind repairs, some changes to arterial channels were noted; please be prepared to expect different conditions, particularly on the channel leading to Blinds 18 and 23.

With COVID keeping more people out of their workplaces, there was record participation at the Waterfowl Unit last year. These stats, typically reported in the summer newsletter, will be provided with the 2022 newsletter.

Bridge construction impacting the causeway continues. Be prepared for speed-bumps, possible delays and workers near B-Zone and Big Creek Blind 1.

As a reminder, there was a change to the Line-up/Reservation rules in 2019 that was successful and is expected to continue. Prior to 2019, you could only be in the top 3 line-up spots 5 times. Now, you can only be in the top 2 line-up spots or 'first reservation' 5 times. If nobody is parked in line-up spot 1 or 2, or utilizes reservation 1, nobody burns a pick.

Attached to this email is the 2021 Sustaining Membership Form, a 2021 Information Package and a current Reservation Form. All fees, including daily fees, have not changed in 2021. I have also attached the 2020 information package (which remains current).

Finally, 2021 is the 60th season of the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit! There are still a few guys hunting the Unit that were hunting the Unit when it opened! Congrats to all on 60 years of successful public waterfowl hunting!

See you in the marsh!

Justin Miller
Hello Waterfowlers,

In lieu of a 2021 newsletter, please find important dates in this email. As COVID restrictions have persisted through most of 2021, the executive members of the Long Point Waterfowlers' Association have not met as we typically do in preparation of an Annual General Meeting or a Summer Newsletter; however, I am able to provide you with the following information:

First and foremost, a huge thank-you to Michael "Bird" Starling and his crew of local waterfowlers for spear-heading and completing most of the blind repair work that is required after every winter!

Again, in 2021, the Long Point Waterfowlers' Association will not be holding a Heritage Day/Youth hunt at the Waterfowl Unit.

Camo/Decoration Day is scheduled for September 11 at 8:00 AM - rain or shine!

Trailer Move-In starts on September 17 at 7:00 AM - please pay and obtain the necessary permits at the Unit Office upon entry to the Park on this day.

Heritage Day is September 18. Although the Waterfowlers' Association is not hosting a youth hunt, the Unit has typically been open for youth to hunt from half-an-hour before sun-rise to noon - if you are interested in participating in this hunt, please discuss further with the Park or Unit staff.

Opening Day is September 25.

Trailer Move-Out Day is typically around December 19th - I have not been able to confirm this date with Park Staff, but be prepared to remove your trailer from the Park on or before this date.

Lake Erie water-levels have receded approximately 4 feet from their 2019 record high, but remain approximately 3.5 feet above their historical average. During this year's blind repairs, some changes to arterial channels were noted; please be prepared to expect different conditions, particularly on the channel leading to Blinds 18 and 23.

With COVID keeping more people out of their workplaces, there was record participation at the Waterfowl Unit last year. These stats, typically reported in the summer newsletter, will be provided with the 2022 newsletter.

Bridge construction impacting the causeway continues. Be prepared for speed-bumps, possible delays and workers near B-Zone and Big Creek Blind 1.

As a reminder, there was a change to the Line-up/Reservation rules in 2019 that was successful and is expected to continue. Prior to 2019, you could only be in the top 3 line-up spots 5 times. Now, you can only be in the top 2 line-up spots or 'first reservation' 5 times. If nobody is parked in line-up spot 1 or 2, or utilizes reservation 1, nobody burns a pick.

Attached to this email is the 2021 Sustaining Membership Form, a 2021 Information Package and a current Reservation Form. All fees, including daily fees, have not changed in 2021. I have also attached the 2020 information package (which remains current).

Finally, 2021 is the 60th season of the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit! There are still a few guys hunting the Unit that were hunting the Unit when it opened! Congrats to all on 60 years of successful public waterfowl hunting!

See you in the marsh!

Justin Miller

Reactions: EDJ
Thanks for the info. I will contact park staff and see what they have to say. Based on the newsletter, it sounds like we might be able to do it ourselves so long as we can grab one of the walk-to blinds (unless anyone experienced in the marsh wants to get together and show a kid what it has to offer!)

I don't do Facebook but went looking for the LPWA anyways and it seems when searching Long Point Waterfowlers Assoc. the only thing that came up was Long Point Waterfowl which is actually the research and wetland study group. No LPWA on Facebook or website either ? I thought LPWA was coming back on Stomps ?

I don't do Facebook but went looking for the LPWA anyways and it seems when searching Long Point Waterfowlers Assoc. the only thing that came up was Long Point Waterfowl which is actually the research and wetland study group. No LPWA on Facebook or website either ? I thought LPWA was coming back on Stomps ?
The group is actually called Long Point Waterfowl Unit on Facebook
It was created because nothing was being done in terms of any online info/support for anyone
Hard to gain support if you make everything too inconvenient for people

Thanks for the info. I will contact park staff and see what they have to say. Based on the newsletter, it sounds like we might be able to do it ourselves so long as we can grab one of the walk-to blinds (unless anyone experienced in the marsh wants to get together and show a kid what it has to offer!)

My sons and I have been to long point for the last 2 heritige day youth hunts and had a great time at each one. We plan on attending again this year. It looked like there was about 15ish kids the last 2 years. I expect you'll have no problem getting a walk out blind as most looked to be towing a boat.

The group is actually called Long Point Waterfowl Unit on Facebook
It was created because nothing was being done in terms of any online info/support for anyone
Hard to gain support if you make everything too inconvenient for people
Listen Dick, the LPWA is a 100% volunteer organization that relies on the talents and time of the volunteers at any given time - if you're a web-wizard, feel free to set-up an online presence on behalf of the Association and become a more active volunteer.

-Justin

Good morning guys,
The unit is open for the kids aged 12 to 17 to hunt the “Heritage Day” hunt. The rules associated with this are on your migratory bird licence. The youth needs to show a valid hunting licence, with a small game and migratory bird licence.
The association is not going to running a planned “Youth Hunt” like has happened in previous years.
The morning of the Heritage day hunt (September 18th) you show up with the youth you are taking hunting, try to be there before 4:30 am to get there in time for the draw. All the names of the kids will be thrown into a hat and the names will be drawn as so. From there it’s first pick, second pick etc just like on opening day.
The youth’s can hunt from 30 minutes before sunrise till noon. No exceptions.
Please remember this day is for the kids and just seeing the beauty of those fresh ducks coming in is such a beautiful sight to see!!

Thanks for the explanation Dicker and sorry to hijack your post Amarok ! With the warm weather we've been having the kids should do well on Blue Wing Teal ? I might suggest Open Chokes and light loads ? Cylinder or Improved Cylinder with #5's, 6's or 71/2's Non-toxic of course.

Good info, mesomikenduck. Thanks for that.

Old Cut- not a problem on the hijack- makes for good reading. A few teal would be great!

I am going to start reading old threads about blind choices and see what I can find. I do have a canoe which may allow some more blinds to be accessed but I want to stay away from any big water that could become too rough for us. This is why I was hoping that something was being organized again- you can't beat experience and it was so great having people offer their time in the past to make this a great opportunity for the kids. If I make a bad blind choice and my kid does not get shooting, I will never hear the end of it! (but he knows by now that is how hunting goes!!).

Listen Dick, the LPWA is a 100% volunteer organization that relies on the talents and time of the volunteers at any given time - if you're a web-wizard, feel free to set-up an online presence on behalf of the Association and become a more active volunteer.

-Justin
Listen Justine, I am by no means a “web-wizard”, this is a Facebook page we’re talking about…….
I understand the LPWA relies solely on volunteers and people do what they can when they can, perhaps when life slows down I’ll be able to chip in more but for the meantime it is what it is.
As far as I can see it doesn’t hurt a thing, a few people can decide who is within the group (and that can be extended) to keep the crazies out (other than someone let Kyle Neuman join) lol
It helps them obtain info like the Sustaining membership form, unit rules, unit maps, blind locations etc. to get out and enjoy the upcoming season
I was wishing for 6-8 (and I believe Stomp was too) to once again be involved but it was starting to look like that kind of stalled somewhere along the way
For now this is all some guys have
Happy Hunting!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks