Here we Grow Again

hvyhaul

The Wife planted some trays yesterday.

ldyinrd.jpg

The covers , moisture and lights weren't finished at time of picture.

Apparently Lady in Red for Hummingbirds, and Beef Steak Tomatoes for us.

Now I have to wait and see which ones the Hummingbirds like more to know which is which. :oops::unsure:🤪😁

The Wife planted some trays yesterday.

View attachment 38656

The covers , moisture and lights weren't finished at time of picture.

Apparently Lady in Red for Hummingbirds, and Beef Steak Tomatoes for us.

Now I have to wait and see which ones the Hummingbirds like more to know which is which. :oops::unsure:🤪😁
Seems we have a bunch of green thumbs here on 6-8. Some of them may soon be planting the "electric lettuce".

@hvyhaul This is my first year with seedlings - had a bit of a garden for the first time last year but not much and planted too late. I'm going to start indoors with tomatoes and peppers - I bought a pack of Jiffy strips and some seed packets as soon as I saw them in the grocery store and I've been staring at them for a while and reading a lot. Looks like your wife knows the drill for this so I'll be following and looking for tips! I have been entrusted with some Australian tomato seeds from my dad. He's been planting them for years and since he's moved into a retirement home, it's my turn. I pray I don't screw them up cuz he's going to be expecting to see one of these tomatoes delivered to his retirement home this summer.

Nothing like no pressure. :eek:🤣

Only 3rd year for us, I figure @Derkd9 could be of help with this.

For us, start seeds moist and covered until sprouting. Uncover, do not soak or allow to dry out, keep artificial lights close and or natural sun light to do its thing.

Feed them every other week.

Hopefully we grow so many we have survivors to plant when temps allow. LOL,

Nothing like no pressure. :eek:🤣

Only 3rd year for us, I figure @Derkd9 could be of help with this.

For us, start seeds moist and covered until sprouting. Uncover, do not soak or allow to dry out, keep artificial lights close and or natural sun light to do its thing.

Feed them every other week.

Hopefully we grow so many we have survivors to plant when temps allow. LOL,
What would you recommend for fertilizer? I have a few scrawny little sprouts starting to cone through on some cherry tomatoes but nothing yet on my dads seeds or some peppers.

What would you recommend for fertilizer? I have a few scrawny little sprouts starting to cone through on some cherry tomatoes but nothing yet on my dads seeds or some peppers.

I just use powdered Miracle Grow in solution that is used in your garden. I have it mixed in a four litre water bottle and feed from below as required.

😯WOWZA! I was feeling really good about the progress of my dad's tomato seeds until I saw what @hvyhaul has produced! I have the plants in a south-facing window getting tons of sun, watering regularly from the bottom and doing weekly fertilizer along with constant conversation. I'm a couple of weeks behind so hopefully still will work. There's a few brown spots on some of the leaves and I may be overwatering?
Tomatoes April 4.jpg

This will make you feel better.

Beefsteak Tomato Plants in sunlight and dirt only.

maeters.jpg

The others were started in a Hydroponic environment/solution and have been transplanted into dirt to go into the garden.

This is now a test to see what difference these lights make on these specific plants compared to the Sun.

Last edited:
This will make you feel better.

Beefsteak Tomato Plants in sunlight and dirt only.

View attachment 39735

The others were started in a Hydroponic environment/solution and have been transplanted into dirt to go into the garden.

This is now a test to see what difference these lights make on these specific plants compared to the Sun.
Now that's what I'm seeing in my little garden world! Thanks :) I hope you'll keep posting the progress difference. We have one grow light from a high school science experiment years ago and didn't bother to dig it out of the basement. I was kinda checking out the whole process this year as a newbie to gardening so haven't invested much yet.

Mrs Stomp you asked about fertilizer. In one of my pictures is what I use for seedling and all indoor plants. It's a fish based product. For seedlings use 10% of the recommended for house plants. It's called Wegners.
Peppers need an early start. The two in red cups where started on Feb 7. I start lots of basil in March and Chilli peppers.

Attachments

• P1030540.jpg
    P1030540.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 16
  • P1030539.jpg
    P1030539.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030538.jpg
    P1030538.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 18
Mrs Stomp you asked about fertilizer. In one of my pictures is what I use for seedling and all indoor plants. It's a fish based product. For seedlings use 10% of the recommended for house plants. It's called Wegners.
Peppers need an early start. The two in red cups where started on Feb 7. I start lots of basil in March and Chilli peppers.
Thank you! I need all the help I can get. @GPS Do you poke holes in the red cups for drainage?

I just use a sharp pair of scissors and with the tips I make a 1/4 "cut 4 times. I water through the bottom as well. Pour an inch of water in a tray and set cups in water, they vacumn it up. Don't over water. After a good soaking set them on a grate like in my picture and don't water again until they feel dry.

Oh and I get the Wegners at Lee Valley and use a 20 cc syringe to measure with.
20 cc does 4 litres of water for house plants and 10% of that strength for seedlings

Notes so far.

Foliage emerging under the lights is much darker green. The plants under natural sunlight have much lighter green new leaves.

Will inform again once growth rates start to be more obvious.

The basil looks great. Any idea when seeds where planted? I need to start mine earlier next spring.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks