Off Topic Hard Water Newbie Question

Heitman

I've got a hut booked for Feb. and have a couple ice rods and lures.
I'm just wondering if when you use lures do you tie a wire leader on your line and then the lure when you are jigging for perch but catch a pike?
When I'm fishing up north and trolling for bass I usually put a leader on because I know there is pike around and don't want to loose my lure.
Will using a wire leader while ice fishing reduce my chances of catching perch?
I'm going with 3 other hard water newbies as well and would like to see them have good luck catching.
Thanks

@Heitman I just switched some ice fishing rod’s over this afternoon to Fluorocarbon line in different lbs.,such as 12 & 15 lbs.(photo). Why fluorocarbon line over a wire leader for my choice is,the water in long point bay is usually clear,so therefore the fluorocarbon line will not be detected as much as a wire leader,plus the action of your lure if you are jigging a lure such as a Swedish Pimple,Williams Wobbler’s,etc.,should not affect the action of your lure,as much as I believe,like a wire leader likely would do. This is just my opinion and preference,maybe other angler’s as well. Tight lines to all four of you in February,and don’t forget to post some photo’s of your “jumbo” perch & trophy 🏆 pike’s!! 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟😉👍🙂

Attachments

• 50B21DA2-89A2-40B8-9508-3A3E5ABC197A.jpeg
    50B21DA2-89A2-40B8-9508-3A3E5ABC197A.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 4
I just play them out and take the chance myself. No less then 8 lb floor max for me but most rods are 4 - 6 as I'd rather sacrifice a jig and re tie
@Fshrmn4life I won’t sacrifice any of my Swedish Pimples,(I love ❤️ them all!! lol 😆),while I am jigging them.👍👍🙂 Another words,I don’t like loosing any lure’s of any kind,so therefore in this case,I prefer using heavier lbs. on my fluorocarbon,such by using at least the 12lbs. & the 15lbs.,as I mentioned in my recent post. Apparently also in some recent post on here,angler’s are mentioning some “huge” pike are being caught & some huge pike being lost,beneath the ice fishing hole’s on long point bay. Hopefully the 12 & 15 pound fluorocarbon line that I have tied on yesterday to my main line,will be strong enough for some of those pike’s on long point bay. 🤞🤞I am hoping to find out soon & perhaps “trophy” 🏆 Pike’s ON!! 🎣🐟🐟😉👍😎

Attachments

• DB014F94-11D8-40E6-BCE1-9575E81E3878.jpeg
    DB014F94-11D8-40E6-BCE1-9575E81E3878.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 6BA77380-A237-414A-AE59-93886F807B5F.jpeg
    6BA77380-A237-414A-AE59-93886F807B5F.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
South Bend makes some fine wire leaders that have always worked well for me.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks