Hahn marsh

Cam Reeves

Does anyone know if there is a plan to clean up the hahn marsh?
Last year they dredged up to blinds 1 and 3, from what i thought i heard, they were going to do the other direction. I went for a paddle this past weekend and can barely get to any blind, just full of weeds.

On a side note, what about the Calton swamp? I took a look at it the same day, 3 out of the 6 blinds are sort of shootable. Any one have any luck there? What birds,if any, can be expected?

A bit late into the year to do any work on the marsh ? I did see what I believe to be the boys from NCC working on their properties adjacent (west of The Hahn) a couple of days ago and there was a couple of trucks parked down at The Hahn. Will they open that area to hunting ?

It looks like the NCC has built a bird viewing stand that kind of looks out over the marsh west of the Hahn. A lot of trees in the way by the look of it but maybe they will trim or drop some of them ?

Shot the Hahn marsh this morning at Blind 1. Main path is clear and OK for depth. Path from main trunk to #1 blind is good and wide, gets shallow in some spots.
The pond at #1 as 1 foot of water at its deepest point. most of the pond is 6in or less. Canoe dragging on bottom.
Not many ducks there. Lots of geese fly over

Most of Calton hasn't been huntable in well over a decade. I was there on the weekend and water levels are extra low this year. I've hunted there 3 or 4 times over the years and usually don't fire a shot. Admittedly I haven't tried in a few years.

Not many ducks anywhere ! LoL ! As for a dig out ? Maybe if the water level stays down and enough hunters ask the CWS they might ?
The section from the launch to #3 blind was dug out last year....there may be plans to dig rest of channels and provide some water flow in the marsh...then a program to cookie cut the marsh would be needed as the channels will clog up badly with plant growth

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks