Ground Hogs

Magnum 3

I know I posted something previously on Stomp , in regards to ground hog hunting , but I'll make it simple this time . Unless anyone knows specifically , where they have a problem and would like some help , does anyone have a good idea as to where to post ( hopefully for free ) an ad to access permission to hunt for them on public or private property . Does anyone know of farmers in either , Norfolk , Haldimond , Oxford or Brant counties , who would entertain the thought . I've been to the Drumlin hills , where every things posted as mentioned . Didn't try that area by Turkey Point yet . I do see some in the Brant area , but mostly around factories and unattainable properties . And personally , with only mainly weekends to spend the most time areas like London are a bit out of the way , unless we're talking prairie dog type populations . I see the cover crops , should be coming down shortly , so I'd like to get a jump on it now . Just thought I'd send a message out here first . This is about permission only . In the mean time I'll keep glassing Norfolk .

I live in a rural part of South Brant. I can't see there are enough to be worth hunting. They maybe even should have some protection they have become so rare. The only place I see them now are within city limits where there is obviously no shooting. As I kid I shot hundreds on our farm and they just kept coming back. I assume the difference is coyotes but there are none where I grew up now.

I live in a rural part of South Brant. I can't see there are enough to be worth hunting. They maybe even should have some protection they have become so rare. The only place I see them now are within city limits where there is obviously no shooting. As I kid I shot hundreds on our farm and they just kept coming back. I assume the difference is coyotes but there are none where I grew up now.
Yes . Majority I see are also in town or just on outskirts . Yet some places are loaded with them , just too far to make it worth the drive . Still checking other areas closer , but have to wait for some of the cover crops to come down . Just not worth it for one or two , here or there . Better off waiting and revisiting in a couple years .

Coyotes have pretty well decimated them. A few near built up areas and a few along the railroad tracks. I have a farm near St George -Troy area and cant remember the last time I saw one.

I see the odd one out Clear Creek way but like Singlemalt and Cutty said the yotes put a dent in their population. Maybe take up coyote hunting ? I have heard from neighbours that there is a pack of 16 out my way. I have yet to see or hear them.

Hey Mark not hard to get hunting turf for coyote.. start by putting an ad on kijiji.. I would knock on doors and or leave your personal business card..you mentioned shootin a 22 for squirrels.. get yourself a flat shooting 22 250 or a 220 swift and put a nice scope on it...go out at night and listen them howling..the country side is crawling with coyotes..

you guys that want good deer/turkey hunting land..thats a good route with your foot in the door with some landowners

Last edited:
Coyotes have pretty well decimated them. A few near built up areas and a few along the railroad tracks. I have a farm near St George -Troy area and cant remember the last time I saw one.
Did you have a large population on your farm during the 1960 - 1980 period . And did the farming practices change at all after that . Crops that were grown , headlands removed , more land tilled ? Just curious . I've seen a lot of that here . I don't necessarily put all the blame on coyotes as , we never had many at all . Fox neither . Still don't see much of that sign on our old farm . I do see more hawks , owls and eagles now . Not to say there aren't coyotes within range , but they really don't have enough cover there , for their own sense of security . I have seen possums work dens and I see them day or night .

Hey Mark not hard to get hunting turf for coyote.. start by putting an ad on kijiji.. I would knock on doors and or leave your personal business card..you mentioned shootin a 22 for squirrels.. get yourself a flat shooting 22 250 or a 220 swift and put a nice scope on it...go out at night and listen them howling..the country side is crawling with coyotes..

you guys that want good deer/turkey hunting land..thats a good route with your foot in the door with some landowners
I have a .22 250 Mick , but once again , as someone mentioned previously , I feel for now anyway , that something , with a little less pop , will keep prospective landowners from getting a little antsy about permission , along with their neighbors . I suppose it's worth mentioning , but I'm almost thinking of starting out Vienna Burwell way and working up into your neck of the woods , by the terrain . That's still doable for me .

My father had a dairy farm and there were lots of them at that time. All the farms around us had hay and were more than willing to pay 25c a tail for my shells. All those dairy farms are now gone, if you dont milk 300 cows (that is small} then you cannot stay in operational. All the big dairy farms are in the Listowell, Stratford, Palmerston area. Great hunting area for coyotes maybe not so for ground hogs. With our crops it is all corn, soybeans and wheat which pays the bills. In my block there is only 3 farms under a 100 acres. So all the big guys have an excavator, tear out all the fence lines and old bank barns. Every acre they can get they need it to pay for the large equipment which uses a lot of diesel fuel. The foxes are all near barns and and near buildings as the coyotes kill them also. I have lots of owls, kestrals, hawks and the odd bald eagle. I think this is in part to me piling all the limbs from cutting wood in piles instead of burning it. I have a creek which runs thru the farm so I seem to have a decent rabbit population. You need to look for a dairy farms which grow lots of hay and fence rows to stay out of site of coyotes. In the 80's we shot 51 one year and 54 the next within 5 sq mi of my farm. There is more now then there was then. We used dogs and now the young guys just dog them out like we do deer. I would pay more attention to the coyotes than the ground hogs.

My father had a dairy farm and there were lots of them at that time. All the farms around us had hay and were more than willing to pay 25c a tail for my shells. All those dairy farms are now gone, if you dont milk 300 cows (that is small} then you cannot stay in operational. All the big dairy farms are in the Listowell, Stratford, Palmerston area. Great hunting area for coyotes maybe not so for ground hogs. With our crops it is all corn, soybeans and wheat which pays the bills. In my block there is only 3 farms under a 100 acres. So all the big guys have an excavator, tear out all the fence lines and old bank barns. Every acre they can get they need it to pay for the large equipment which uses a lot of diesel fuel. The foxes are all near barns and and near buildings as the coyotes kill them also. I have lots of owls, kestrals, hawks and the odd bald eagle. I think this is in part to me piling all the limbs from cutting wood in piles instead of burning it. I have a creek which runs thru the farm so I seem to have a decent rabbit population. You need to look for a dairy farms which grow lots of hay and fence rows to stay out of site of coyotes. In the 80's we shot 51 one year and 54 the next within 5 sq mi of my farm. There is more now then there was then. We used dogs and now the young guys just dog them out like we do deer. I would pay more attention to the coyotes than the ground hogs.
Already do some coyote hunting during the winter and agree with what you've . Things have changed a lot from back when .

Actually I'm seeing more this year between Seaforth and Stratford. Problem would be hunting them. I see them on the roads but they scurry into the corn, wheat and bean fields when you get close to them.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks