Ground hogs

Not when it's impossible to find rural property at an affordable price. I make just over $100k, single income 2 kids. Owned my own home since I was 21. Only 32 don't understand how people can buy these 400-600k properties.

When you look back my grandparents bought rural about 5 times and they were single income and never made more than 40k.

Sucks how times change.

Enough of my crying.

Time to move north!

It's one thing shooting a gun right beside a dog. You can't tell me that hunting 500 plus yards from a horse is going to scare it. I call 100% bullshit.

I strongly disagree. As hunters carrying our boom sticks we need to be mindful of where our bullets are going along with what humans/livestock will be negatively effected by the resulting gunshots. It's the "I don't care what you think, I am going to do whatever I want" hunters which make it harder for other hunters as it often results in landowners having a negative experience and denying access to everyone.

Not sure about 500 yards, but I can tell you with certainty that some horses lose their crap and run around wildly after hearing shots from 200-250 yards. This was after the farmer said I was good to go and the shots wouldn't bother the horses....

Now I know I'm in the wrong line of work . Anyway .... Should anyone else , know of what I was originally asking about , I'd appreciate you contacting me . Thanks M

I wouldn't waste my time or gas targeting groundhogs in this area. I've been hunting Brant and Norfolk for the last 15-20 years and can count the number of groundhogs I have seen in rural areas on one hand. Maybe a dozen active dens/holes over the years? Seems like they've all moved within city limits?

I think modern farming practices are keeping them from making a rebound.

in the 70's my young brother in law and I on occasion could score a hundred chucks in a day hunting the drumlin hills west of Silver Hill.

some of ontario hunters and nonresidents are breaking to many laws..its concerning to read the charges northern and southern ontario every season...I hope we can keep our privilege..the trend is up...hopefully this year the numbers go down..

in the 70's my young brother in law and I on occasion could score a hundred chucks in a day hunting the drumlin hills west of Silver Hill.
Well . I went for a drive out towards the place that place you described . Of the few places I stopped at , nobody knows of that area being called that . But I think I know of the place you are talking about . Just crossed over the quarterline

Well . I went for a drive out towards the place that place you described . Of the few places I stopped at , nobody knows of that area being called that . But I think I know of the place you are talking about . Just crossed over the quarterline
the area is known as Carholm. those clay hills are a glacial feature known as "drumlins" shitty farm land so was used for pasture.

the area is known as Carholm. those clay hills are a glacial feature known as "drumlins" shitty farm land so was used for pasture.
Didn't know there was a name for that , but I guess everything has a name . Just reading the latest OOD magazine and someone brought up a previous article about Jack rabbits . They also commented about farming practices and the absence of headlands as one of the reasons for Jack numbers dropping and included ground hogs in that also ,which I also agree with .

I saw the first groundhogs I have seen this spring yesterday. All well within Branford city limits. It makes me think that their demise can't be blamed 100% on coyotes. I have often seen them in the same area.

I saw the first groundhogs I have seen this spring yesterday. All well within Branford city limits. It makes me think that their demise can't be blamed 100% on coyotes. I have often seen them in the same area.
We have a couple in the neighbors back yard and across the street , in a quiet subdivision . Think there's a few reasons besides predators . Good to hear you've seen them also .

the demise of chucks - was the return of possums
Not the case with the one in the neighbors back yard . Both the Chuck and the possum , were feeding on their lawn the one day . But the next , the possum laid dead at the mouth of the chucks front door . But he's a healthy specimen and this wasn't while the groundhog was hibernating . More like middle of summer .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks