Got my dead head euro back

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Got the skull mount back from the Moose dead head we brought back with us.
Apparently was hard to get the stink out lol
I’m happy with it, and glad the animal didn’t go to total waste
Now to figure out where to put it.. hmmm

Attachments

• A69C795C-FC44-4997-B378-0C268EDF9CB4.png
    A69C795C-FC44-4997-B378-0C268EDF9CB4.png
    928.3 KB · Views: 130
  • D357DAE6-A266-4347-8117-9338FB9605C5.png
    D357DAE6-A266-4347-8117-9338FB9605C5.png
    971 KB · Views: 100
  • FBD9284C-6ED9-489E-9BE8-CDA3B6AE8B97.png
    FBD9284C-6ED9-489E-9BE8-CDA3B6AE8B97.png
    868.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 579AE5D9-45A7-4304-B73C-19EED94A90D1.jpeg
    579AE5D9-45A7-4304-B73C-19EED94A90D1.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 109
  • F950097A-BB8D-48DE-A5BE-4D7208817DE7.jpeg
    F950097A-BB8D-48DE-A5BE-4D7208817DE7.jpeg
    845.2 KB · Views: 129
@Noth n yet I was referred to a guy in town that did it for $165, I gladly paid him $200 for the great work he did.
I had a quote from a taxidermy place in London said they would do it for $350

Liked it until the last picture.
Tough crowd
Couldn’t leave it there
I didn’t kill it but someone did
there was a clear puncture room in its side
I also reported and registered the find

Oh don't get me wrong Derkd9 I would have done the same. Just when I looked at the last picture, I could smell it. I have one now sitting outside from early Nov hunt that smells bad as well. Hoping I can get it boiled soon.

Oh don't get me wrong Derkd9 I would have done the same. Just when I looked at the last picture, I could smell it. I have one now sitting outside from early Nov hunt that smells bad as well. Hoping I can get it boiled soon.
Fair enough. The smell was horrible. I am
Very great full my friend strapped it to his backpack and carried it out the bush for me. I salvaged a scapula that was exposed for raking bush next time I go. Bull mooose hunting.
I didn’t realize how stinky I got until we got home and un packed. Took my gun out of the case and the whole house smelled like death. From handling the sling after touching the death. Well it was all worth it! Lol
And I just got permission to hang it in the kitchen if I get on board with her re painting the kitchen.

I can tell you first hand that that is a great deal.
Here are photos of the Bull I shot this year. My son decided to give me a Christmas gift ....the Euro mount.
Well it took him a few days of boiling, actually more in setting it up properly to boil. Unlike a deer mount that has the antlers situated more on the "top" of the skull. The moose antlers are positioned more along the sides. You have to boil it in a container that is wide enough to fit the head & rack.
However once it is done and hanging on the wall.....it's amazing.
My wife agreed to hang it in the dining room, surprise!. But her comments were ...."it isn't a trophy...it is more a piece of art"!
IMG_9211 (1).JPGIMG-0475.jpg

IMG-0468.jpg

LOL....I bought a simple 5" "L" bracket from Home Depot.
I bent the one side up about an inch. Used 3 long screws because the weight is so great.
I didn't want to use lag bolts because the 3 screws are screwed into the wall stud and I didn't want the stud splitting. It anchors very well. Also the other end of the bracket is long enough to slide into the skull. With the bend i put in it cannot slide off it has to be lifted up and out from the wall. I painted it a close color to the wall paint so it isn't noticeable.

IMG-0492.jpg

The real story here is I have not been moose hunting since fall of 2015. I broke my leg Dec 26, 2015 while on Christmas Vaca with my family. It has been a hell of an ordeal. I have had 6 operations and lots of pain.
My son was working out west this year and applied for the draw. He told me I had to even though I was doubtfull I would be able to go. He was adamant...."If i have to carry you out in the bush your coming hunting"!
We have a very good group that I had been hunting with for over 30 years and he loves the gang and the way we hunt.
They put me on a 4 wheeler and I drove out to the middle of a cranberry bog, first morning.
We had a group Bull tag and calf tag.
The night before we all agreed to pass on shooting any small bulls. We would re assess each morning as the week days diminished.
So I'm sitting out in the cold wind and give a couple Cow calls....and this guy walks directly up to 30 yds from me into the wind....as if to say "Congratulations! Welcome back into the bush! But you can't shoot me because you all agreed not to shoot any small bulls!"
And he was a beautiful moose! That will live for another year.
unnamed.jpg

All day I thought I could here something south east of me but with the wind and me not having gained my "Bush hearing" .... I wasn't sure. As we reconviened at lunch over the phones the gang agreed to push towards me. At 1:30 a cow came out south of me followed by the big bull.
209 yds and dropped him with the new 30:06 Tikka my son bought for me. Awesome week with great friends!
And a special THANKS
to my son!

@Honkey Donkey
That’s a great story and congratulations!
I’m hoping over the next few years my fiancé and friend and I can build a great hunting group that are all like minded and out there for the same thing love of being in the bush and the love of hunting
The trips we’ve had have been great but could get much better with more people! 👍

That is exactly what its all about!
Just seeing a moose is bonus never mind having an opportunity to shoot one.
But being with like minded, respectful, safe hunting partners ....the camaraderie....the laughs...
And just being out in the bush with nature.....
That is the jack pot!
Until you miss it......you never truly realise what you have.

cheers
Stay Safe!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks